Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Modeline for Dragon's Lair in Groovymame on 4:3 arcade CRT?  (Read 261 times)

kingkatt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 12:42:22 pm
Modeline for Dragon's Lair in Groovymame on 4:3 arcade CRT?
« on: March 06, 2024, 12:42:22 pm »
As the latest version of MAME now supports Dragon's Lair, I thought I'd try and get it running on my setup. I have Groovymame 0.263 running on a Windows 10 PC connected to a tri-sync arcade monitor in a Sega New Net City cab.

The game runs just fine, but it looks like it is using the 2560 x 480 super-resolution. The scoreboard is partly visible on the right, the player text in the scoreboard is squashed, and there are obvious interlacing artifacts in the game video.

I tried adding a dedicated 704 x 480 modeline in Video Mode Maker, but it looks like the game is still using the super-resolution.

What should I change in VMM so that the game will 1) run in native resolution with the video part filling the screen and 2) run with interlaced video? Is it possible?

Calamity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: Modeline for Dragon's Lair in Groovymame on 4:3 arcade CRT?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 03:30:03 am »
Hi kingkatt,

If the resolution is available, you can force it through the resolution option, like -r 704x480

Anyway, it should look exactly the same with a super resolution as it would with a "native" one.

I haven't tried Dragon's Lair yet, but you can expect interlace artifacts provided in-game interlace video fields won't match the fields of our interlace video output, and there's nothing that can be done about it (easily).
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi