Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nanao MS9-29A Replaced HOT failed again after an hour  (Read 371 times)

NightWolfx03

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 04:58:44 pm
  • NoctemLupi
Nanao MS9-29A Replaced HOT failed again after an hour
« on: March 05, 2024, 03:51:57 pm »
Lemme preface this with the fact that I am still learning how to fix issues on CRTs. I have had a few wins, but I have this unit and 2 Sanwa's that I still haven't gotten working yet.

Anyways I have a Nanao MS9-29A in a Taito Battle Gear 2, It went to a black screen and was making a squealing noise. Pulled the chassis and pulled out the HOT and found that it was shorted. So I ordered some new ones, checked around the board for anything else that stood out (shorts, etc). Put the new HOT in and fixed up the cruddy looking solder joints on string of surface mount resistors under the board near the flyback. It fired right up, the picture looked great, I let it run for a bit and after about an hour I found it with a blank screen and squealing again, so I guess the new HOT failed.

So now I need to figure out what else is out of spec or bad that would have caused the HOT to fail.

I'm open to all suggestions/information, I'm also working on speaking with a friend that is significantly more versed than I am with CRTs when he's not busy.

I'm the man who's going burn their house down.... with the lemons.

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:18:18 am
Re: Nanao MS9-29A Replaced HOT failed again after an hour
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 04:20:15 pm »
normal cause is bad solder joints on the horizontal drive transformer, and off course 90% of high power transistors on the market are fakes
also important to test the caps in the power supply circuit

NightWolfx03

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 04:58:44 pm
  • NoctemLupi
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 04:50:06 pm »
I'll be pulling the board back out soon, I suspect that the HOTs should be original, I got them USA stock and they have a somewhat unique package style. The pictures of the ones from outside US sources have a different looking package. 

I'll check the caps, or for that matter maybe just re-cap some of that area, from what I do know there is a snubber cap there, and usually a few electrolytics in those circuits that can be suspect.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 04:53:08 pm by NightWolfx03 »
I'm the man who's going burn their house down.... with the lemons.

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:18:18 am
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 04:55:00 pm »
don't forget the horizontal drive coil, i can see it in the photo and the solder joints do not look like they have been reflowed
you can use 2sc4747 as well as the original 2sc4692, make sure its an original and is a TOP3FM package