Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: (SOLVED) Help! Genuine Super Pang GFX Corruption (De-Suicided)  (Read 524 times)

CHRIS-F

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:59:12 am
  • I always have screws left over after repairs :-)
(SOLVED) Help! Genuine Super Pang GFX Corruption (De-Suicided)
« on: February 28, 2024, 10:19:10 am »
Hi All,

I decided to replace my Super Pang Bootleg for a genuine Capcom board, my bootleg is working perfectly, but as you may know the level select doesn't work on bootlegs and my kids like to play and carry on from where they left off.

The seller said  it has been de-suicided by Afterglow and assures me it is working 100%. The first thing i noticed when i plugged it in, if i leave it in attract mode the text boxes that pop up have corrupted text, other than that the board seems to be working perfectly. What are the likely causes for the corrupted text? so far I have checked the voltage and set it as close to 5.0 V as possible, I have also removed all EPROM's and cleaned and re-seated them.

Does this method of de-suiciding use un-encrypted EROMS?

Where do I go from here?

Also my machine is set for the bootleg version, is it normal when replacing a bootleg with an original of the same game that the screen may need re adjusting, the  image on the original board is off to the left and slightly higher up, I know different games may need setting up, but shouldn't a bootleg and original output almost the same image?

Thanks,
Chris.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 07:15:55 am by CHRIS-F »

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
Re: (SOLVED) Help! Genuine Super Pang GFX Corruption (De-Suicided)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 07:34:57 am »
After reading the EPROM's from my PCB and placing them into a zip file, I ran them in MAME and the corruption was still there in emulation, I noticed that some of the ROM's were identified on the romident site as Japanese character ROM's so I burned three new ROM's and it has sorted my problem out, it's working properly now. Some of the ROMS are used in both the English and Japanese Boards, and are also named SPJxxx.

The ROM's Ive replaced with English/European ROM's are;

SPE_01_1D
SPE_02_1E
SPE_04_1G

The strange thing was that when the ROM's had the Japanese Characters, the text in the boxes didn't show up as Japanese text just some garbled text that looked partly Japanese, I'm guessing it's just because the English program ROM's are looking for English letters in the English character set at a specific address and obviously the Japanese character set different so it is just finding random data in the Japanese character set.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 06:30:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2024, 03:21:06 pm »
huh... why would it have mixed up roms like that?

maybe there is a japanese guy out there that got his board back with english roms in it  :lol

glad it's sorted out though!

sorry i didn't see this post back when you posted it. i normally don't browse through new posts often. but, to your credit... your line of thought regarding checking the rom data against mame images is what i normally suggest in stuff like this. so, spot on!  :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 03:23:45 pm by lilshawn »

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 06:42:06 am »
huh... why would it have mixed up roms like that?

maybe there is a japanese guy out there that got his board back with english roms in it  :lol

glad it's sorted out though!

sorry i didn't see this post back when you posted it. i normally don't browse through new posts often. but, to your credit... your line of thought regarding checking the rom data against mame images is what i normally suggest in stuff like this. so, spot on!  :cheers:

I'm guessing it was actually a Japanese PCB and when the previous owner sent it of to be de-suicided they probably just assumed it was the English version and burned the un-encrypted English ROMS, you wouldn't notice if you just quickly powered it up and played panic mode, it's only really noticeable in attract mode or possibly tour mode, the sound ROMS and two of the other ROMS are the same for the Japanese/English boards anyway so I can only guess that's what happend, but it's working nicely now :-)

One thing I've wondered though, is it normal that I would need to adjust the screen position after swapping a bootleg PCB for the Original, My monitor is set up for the bootleg PCB and when i swapped it out for the original the image is off to the left and slightly upwards, I haven't tried to set the Image correctly yet as I have a few more PCB's to test that i'm trying to fix. but I thought with it being the same game it should be in the same position.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 06:30:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 11:56:34 am »
One thing I've wondered though, is it normal that I would need to adjust the screen position after swapping a bootleg PCB for the Original, My monitor is set up for the bootleg PCB and when i swapped it out for the original the image is off to the left and slightly upwards, I haven't tried to set the Image correctly yet as I have a few more PCB's to test that i'm trying to fix. but I thought with it being the same game it should be in the same position.

oh yeah. one thing china just can NOT figure out is friggin screen timings. even VGA eludes them. we build 60-in-1 cabinets using the typical china 60-in-1 board. I've had the china boards hooked up to LCD that are way off center horizontally, like... half a screen. I can usually auto adjust to get them centered... but some panels in particular no amount of adjustment can bring them in. i have to actually mark them so they don't get used for those boards.

i mean, i dunno if it's just they assumed that the monitor they would be hooked up to would be analog...and normally you can just reign in the horizontal with a dial real quick and be done... but man, i don't know if they know how to produce a signal compliant with NTSC timings since they use PAL or what cause they are almost always effed up.

i would like to find a way or find someone who does signal validations to test these things and find out what they are doing wrong. VGA should be VGA... but clearly not in the case of chinese boards. be interesting to find out actually.