Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Crt tv + no sound after emudrivers  (Read 304 times)

Torakikiii

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 09:44:40 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Crt tv + no sound after emudrivers
« on: February 27, 2024, 11:23:49 am »
Hi guys!
I've been lurking and reading for a while, and then I decided to give it a try.
Spoiler: I'm not a champ at it!

Setup: win10 + amd rx 480 + panasonic crt tv. Tv is connected to the radeon via an hdmi to composite adapter. I plug it into the s-video in of the tv
Normally, it works (beautifully)

I did a first test installing emudrivers but all the resolutions wouldn't appear for my screen (I use intel gpu for my main screen, radeon for second screen/tv).
So, uninstall, back from zero, etc etc... now I have all the resolutions under screen when I try to set the screen with windows preferences. Great.

I tried arcadeos and it shows even at 240x240 on my crt so I guess it's correctly working at 15khz right? Not all the listed resolutions work tho. I then ran games with groovymame and they are crisp, beautiful and vibrant.

So where's the problem then? Well... I was expecting scanlines?... I can't see any or maybe, I was expecting something different?

That said in the process I also lost sound in window. Mixer shows there's sound outputting but the system is now totally silent. I used to see a sound device named after the hdmi adapter, but now it's gone.

Finally... I no longer can use other advanced emulators (like yuzu for example). It's like the emudrivers stops any advanced function. Is this something expected? Is there an easy way to switch back and forth?

Thanks for any info!
Best!

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 06:33:53 pm
Re: Crt tv + no sound after emudrivers
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 10:41:32 pm »
Setup: win10 + amd rx 480 + panasonic crt tv. Tv is connected to the radeon via an hdmi to composite adapter. I plug it into the s-video in of the tv
Normally, it works (beautifully)

Is it composite or s-video?

My understanding of those HDMI->composite/s-video adapters is that they take whatever the HDMI output is and force it into an interlaced mode for TV, possibly NTSC 720x480i or good-old 640x480i. They are good for watching a video, showing PC desktop onscreen, or sharing multimedia in the workplace (e.g. training, presentations). Not really great for gaming though.

The pic you showed seems interlaced. The scanlines would be gone because it is scaled up, they have been blended away.

What you would want is an HDMI->VGA dongle (I believe some are better than others, but I'm not sure which) combined with a quality transcoder that can give you a composite signal while preserving the original video modes. The only real options I know of are the wakabavideo VGA/RGB-composite transcoders (look on ebay) and the GBS-C or GBS control, but you may need to mod the GBS to get composite out of it (I don't have one myself, but a friend does).
Check out my completed projects!