Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Migrating to RaspPi - Issues with Controls  (Read 447 times)

IncrdblHulk7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 09:26:53 pm
Migrating to RaspPi - Issues with Controls
« on: February 18, 2024, 09:54:05 pm »
Have had a arcade setup for many many years.  Using ~2006era IPAC, WinXP machine, and Happ P360 sticks.  The sticks required 5V, so I had a molex connector from PC PSU feeding that.

PC -> USB-PS2 -> IPAC -> buttons/sticks
PC PSU -> 5V/GND ... GND tied together with IPAC GND and feeding buttons/sticks, 5V feeding P360s.

In process of migrating to a new RaspPi5 setup.  When I try this out, I plug the IPAC Ps2-USB cable into Rasp PI.  I leave the old PC running with the molex supplying 5V.  Results in IPAC not registering all buttons or being erratic.  Tried same thing with laptop in place of raspPi and get same result.

Then I tried disconnecting the two P360s (s buttons only) and things work.  As soon as I plug in P360 - making use of the old PCs 5V - things go wrong.

What am I missing?  seems like having 5V/GND from another source shoudl be fine???

Thanks

IncrdblHulk7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 09:26:53 pm
Re: Migrating to RaspPi - Issues with Controls
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 08:13:37 am »
Longer term, I am going to need a separate 5v and 12v source apart from raspPi in order to power the p360s and lamps. So seems like this problem won't be solved by just turning off old PC.

Even if I isolated the power/gnd from PSU, the p360s are the common point ... needing gnd from both the PSU and encoder???

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: Migrating to RaspPi - Issues with Controls
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 08:34:42 am »
use the ground on the ipac for the buttons, dont tie it into any power supply ground. Tying into power's ground was usually done with JAMMA and isnt needed with an IPAC

You can pull 5v from the gpio of the pi, pins 4 (+) and 6 (-) . I don't know what lamps you have but you can get a wallwart to molex to supply 12 and or 5V
like this:  https://www.coolerguys.com/products/100-240v-ac-to-12-5v-dc-4pin-molex-adapter
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.