Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JVL Orion no IO Board found  (Read 994 times)

rcdude1990

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 05:48:08 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
JVL Orion no IO Board found
« on: February 14, 2024, 03:06:22 pm »
Hey! I've done some searching for jvl and the io board not found but I'm having some issues on mine.
I picked up an orion for free as the person that got it tried to get it working but couldn't.
I power it up and it gets to the jvl blue screen with loading bar, and then I get a no io board found.

First question, is the io board the board that has the itouch key on it? Or is it the board that connects to the "link board" (if that makes sense)

Upon inspecting, it looks like someone tried to makeshift a battery replacement. From reading other posts here.. I understand there is a soldered battery on this board. If there is no battery will it be giving this io board not found error?
Now I did grab a 3.6v battery I had laying around from a old window sensor from an alarm system... I tried to make shift it to connect to the wires that where soldered on but I still have a error.

Lastly, does anyone know the correct placement for these connections to the motherboard? There are 3 ribbon cables basically and I'm thinking maybe the guy before me may have moved them around?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 03:09:08 pm by rcdude1990 »

rcdude1990

• Offline Offline
Re: JVL Orion no IO Board found
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 03:13:45 pm »
Pics
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 02:24:57 pm by rcdude1990 »

rcdude1990

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 03:15:16 pm »
More
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 02:26:00 pm by rcdude1990 »

rcdude1990

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 02:23:57 pm »
Not sure why pics look weird

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:54:30 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 08:03:12 pm »
First question, is the io board the board that has the itouch key on it? Or is it the board that connects to the "link board" (if that makes sense)

no, the IO board is the box that has the security key and the battery on it.

Upon inspecting, it looks like someone tried to makeshift a battery replacement. From reading other posts here.. I understand there is a soldered battery on this board. If there is no battery will it be giving this io board not found error?

it is supposed to have a "CR 1/2" "CR 1/2 AA" "1/2 AA" "LS250" "LS14250" they go by lots of names/conventions. you want a battery with wire leads on it and a "Lithium Thionyl Chloride" (Li-SoCl2) formulation. the original manufacture used in these boards is either "Saft" or "Tadrian" if you google "1/2 Lithium Thionyl Chloride" you'll see what you need.

i have in the past replaced these with a button cell battery holder and then used a conventional CR2032 bios type battery in it's place. they do not recharge the battery, so you needn't worry about blocking diodes or anything.

it's possible that not having a battery is causing issues... they are a little weird.

Now I did grab a 3.6v battery I had laying around from a old window sensor from an alarm system... I tried to make shift it to connect to the wires that where soldered on but I still have a error.

it's possible that the wires could be soldered improperly. if i recall, one side (the negative end) has 2 leads on it, while the other side (the positive side) has one.  it's a kind of polarity protection. so you may have to use a loop of wire to connect the 2 througholes together to make sure that they are for sure, connected together.

Lastly, does anyone know the correct placement for these connections to the motherboard? There are 3 ribbon cables basically and I'm thinking maybe the guy before me may have moved them around?

it's possible they are wrong. there is a lot of same connections on the board where something can be plugged onto it in like 3 or 4 places....but only one would be right.

your breakout board (the one that goes to the most connections on the board and has all the USB on it, should have a power connection, a USB connection and a serial connection.

your IO board should have power and a USB (black) connection which it looks like it does.

it's possible it's still wired wrong... i'm not sure how the orions do their internal connections... just the countertop units. but you can try moving your USB to one of the other ones to see if it's just expecting a specific port.

its also possible the IO board is no good.

it's also possible the software is corrupt.

try booting on the system while holding down the button on the IO board and see if it boots up to a software reload screen. if it does the IO board is being properly picked up... and it's the software that is buggered. if it doesn't it's something with the wiring.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 08:07:01 pm by lilshawn »

rcdude1990

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 08:42:37 pm »
Appreciate the reply, and I placed an order for a button battery holder as you've done in the past

Holding down the button doesn't do anything / I still get i/o board not found.

On the breakoutboard there is power connection, a usb (going to the io board labeled linked)
And 3 ribbon type connectors. 2 large ribbon connectors labeled cn2 and cn3.. these are going to the motherboard the cn3 going to com1, cn2 going to usb1.2,

There is another ribbon cable with only 4 wires going to a j5 connector in the middle of the board (see first pic) that  is going to the motherboard usb3.4

The io board has no connections going to the motherboard.

What's interesting is that this 4 wire ribbon cable has a end that also fits on the io board (see 2nd pic)
But seeing what you wrote, it sounds like there is no wires going from the io board to the mother board

Thanks again for your help

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 11:10:43 pm »
the 2 circled connections are power (5v and 12v)... and the black one is a USB connection.

that black connector's cable should be connected to the breakout board, where it will ultimately connect through to the USB connection on the motherboard. that breakout board has connection that supplies the conventional USB-A connector on it (used for upgrades)... but also through the black connector that goes to the IO board.

ok, i think i know what's going on here., see... your breakout has a hub as sorts for the USB's and i think you have some stuff messed up there.

on the breakout board... there should be a single USB type A connector for a usb stick or whatever to do upgrades... and then 3 black connectors (possibly 2 black and a white not sure... but i digress) around the outsides... those 3 connectors and one port are all USB. if you follow the connector traces from those connectors/port along on the board, you can see they go to the 2 connectors in the middle of the breakout board. those 2 cables should be plugged into USB1-2 and USB 3-4 on the motherboard.

ideally you want the IO board connector... the IO board is plugged into.... to be in the connector... on the breakout board.... that is attached to the cable.... that is ultimately plugged into USB1-2 .... WHEW! (i say this cause some linux distros are picky about which USB port IO has to be found on)

and i belive in your pictures (they are kinda cut off in some very key areas to be 100% sure)

I also think your serial is plugged into the wrong one, it should be plugged in as com1 (for your touchscreens connection)

so...move the connector currently on COM1 which should be in USB#-# (again, you'll have to follow the trace back to the middle connector)

and move the short DB9 tail over from com2 to com1 and plug your touch comptroller into there.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 11:13:05 pm by lilshawn »

rcdude1990

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 06:10:59 pm »
Appreciate the help, just gonna send a few more pics cause I got a little lost in the last response

Pic 1... io board.. there's no wires at all that go to the actual motherboard correct? I have a power connector which goes to the brewkojt board . The black clip (I assume ur meaning of usb) on the bottom left of the io board also goes to the breakoutboard.

Pic 2.. the breakoutboard.. it has the 2 connectors (see labeled usb) going to the motherboard. Breakout board labeled cn2 is going to motherboard usb 1.2... cn3 is going to motherboard usb 3.4

Now on the bottom right is a white connector with 4 wires (labeled in blue with?) This I have going to the motherboard to the right of usb3.4... the labeling on the motherboard tho is weird as it's not usb... it's either cn9 or cn10

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 03:49:31 pm »
 pic

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 03:53:52 pm »
pic2

rcdude1990

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2024, 04:23:53 pm »
Awsome truly appreciate it! Everything then seems to be connected correctly... I also check continuity of the usb ribbons so all is good there... looks like I'll need to hunt for a new io board as all else seems fine