Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Finishing my arcade top, few questions  (Read 555 times)

Cmid21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 09:41:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Finishing my arcade top, few questions
« on: January 30, 2024, 12:11:12 pm »
Hello everyone,

I am in the last stretch of my first arcade build. It is a pedestal and I have the base and control box finished. Just need to complete the top. The base is made out of MDF and I will be using MDO for the top (where the buttons and playing surface will be) I will be painting the entire thing, no decals/vinyl wraps etc.

Before I started I wanted to solicit some advice from you experts.

1. Is an acrylic/plastic etc. 1/8“ surface necessary? I am thinking it isn’t, as MDO will have a smooth finish and I am not protecting any decals
2. Why essentially all people attach the iPac/control boards to the underside of the top instead of the bottom of the control panel section? It seems like those items would be "safer“ from bumps and bashed in the bottom of the control panel section not on the underside of the playtop. Is there a reason for this I am overlooking?

Thanks for any insights!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 12:16:33 pm by Cmid21 »

MartyKong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2024, 05:09:52 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Finishing my arcade top, few questions
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 03:05:02 pm »
2) Because my joysticks/buttons which are wired to the ipac are on that side. I would think it would be more difficult to wire all your buttons, etc. to one surface and then run your wires to a second surface. Much tidier keeping them together - besides my top is on a hinge so for me that would create additional problems.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 03:21:16 pm by MartyKong »