Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Back to arcade emulation  (Read 619 times)

gurbzs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 03:17:43 am
  • Creamy arcade graphics
Back to arcade emulation
« on: January 30, 2024, 11:31:43 am »
Hi all,

I’m back to some arcade fun. I did the buggy boy triple screen setup in 2014 https://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142964.msg1482366.html#msg1482366.

https://youtu.be/yq0iBgNYqSc?si=K3HPGk0i0rkv1X3w

After that I sold five 27 inch CRT’s ( big and heavy stuff) and went into music making again.
Recently I acquired a Lunacade atomic Jamie and I’m thinking about installing a CRT and a PC or Mister FPGA system. I am looking for a fast response system and still have all my old ATI cards etc. Of course I’m also thinking groovymame.

However: I’ve been out the emulation game for more than 8 years.
What do you recommend? I was used to CRT, the original arcade resolutions, etc. Groovymame.

Thanks so much in advance!

Grtz,

Gurbz

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:48:09 pm
Re: Back to arcade emulation
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 08:43:08 pm »
Why the double post?
Lunacade was the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, that's the one that inspired me to build bartops.
Anyway, if I were you, ill go with an i5 i7 PC with a decent video card and a crt monitor. Nowdays you can also rgb mod some crt TVs, and the look nice as most TVs don't have burned in.  My choice is always hyperspin, looks nice and works just as with a p4 old PC, but I've seen other Front ends, that look good. Also a pi4 with rgbpi looks and works nice. So there are many choices. There has been a recently way to use themister as a video card with groovymame, on that one I'm not so sure, as the danm mister still to expensive.

gurbzs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 03:17:43 am
  • Creamy arcade graphics
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 02:17:35 am »
Hey Abispac,

thanks for replying!

The double post: it was just a mistake and I can’t figure out how to delete the first post.
@administrator - could you help out?

I have an old Ikegami around, I probably have it cleaned and serviced but it might be a tight fit.
I also some old Philips colour monitors from the Amiga/c64 days. The lunacade will get heavy by then but that’s how it is.

Thanks for your advice on the computer part! I ‘ll look into that.

Cheers,

Gurbz

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:35:02 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 03:02:34 am »
The double post: it was just a mistake and I can’t figure out how to delete the first post.
Thanks for reporting it.  Good to go.   :cheers:

Scott