Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Groovymame 0.261 questions  (Read 626 times)

chriszhxi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 09:23:19 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Groovymame 0.261 questions
« on: January 29, 2024, 06:20:20 am »
I just upgraded Groovymame to 0.261 from 0.243, and noticed that during startup and even in the main UI menu (like save some config and back to previous menu) Groovymame does some kinds of resolution switching, I'm not sure the resolution actually changes but I do hear monitor chassis switching sound multiple times and screen goes black and some times shows no signal during the process, this does not happen in previous version, is this normal?

Also the game list icons and preview images are out of aspect and stretched which are good before, what do I need to set to show the correct aspect of images and icons?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: Groovymame 0.261 questions
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 06:38:12 am »
No idea, it works fine here.

If you're using Windows, make sure to download the full package from my github site, rather than just replacing the exe into an old folder.

If that doesn't work, please provide some steps to reproduce the issue here.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

chriszhxi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 08:06:34 am »
No idea, it works fine here.

If you're using Windows, make sure to download the full package from my github site, rather than just replacing the exe into an old folder.

If that doesn't work, please provide some steps to reproduce the issue here.

Hi, I recorded a video to show it, using a fresh copy downloaded from github, just added one game to show the stretched icon and image, nothing else.

As you can see, startup triggers monitor resolution switching, also in the menu, if navigate to deeper menu, even without changing anything, choose save and then quit menu also triggers resolution switching.

I also recorded 0.243 for comparison. I accidentally switched windows during it, that's not behavior of Groovymame.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 08:15:34 am by chriszhxi »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 10:04:54 am »
Ok, tested here, it's true that editing video settings forces a restart of the OSD so new settings are loaded. This triggers Switchres restart too. They probably introduced this change upstream, there's nothing that can be done about it, aside of using a proper frontend instead of the internal one.

Bad aspect ratio on the snaps happens when using super resolutions. I remember they introduced another change, supposedly because it didn't work correctly before. I can't do anything about that either. GM shouldn't be using a super resolution for the menu if 640x480 is available btw.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

chriszhxi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 10:47:03 am »
Ok, tested here, it's true that editing video settings forces a restart of the OSD so new settings are loaded. This triggers Switchres restart too. They probably introduced this change upstream, there's nothing that can be done about it, aside of using a proper frontend instead of the internal one.

Bad aspect ratio on the snaps happens when using super resolutions. I remember they introduced another change, supposedly because it didn't work correctly before. I can't do anything about that either. GM shouldn't be using a super resolution for the menu if 640x480 is available btw.

Desktop resolution is 640X480, only in games use super resolution I believe, as you can see everything in 0.243 is good, so it's 0.261 UI uses super resolution?

I guess I just stick to the old version then, thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 11:05:06 am by chriszhxi »