Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help with Buttons!  (Read 1178 times)

smazze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 04:37:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Help with Buttons!
« on: January 28, 2024, 10:30:44 pm »
I'm looking for buttons for my control panel that is 3/4" thick (plus plexi) with 30mm holes.

I really wanted the OSBN Sanwa buttons, but it doesn't look like they would be long enough for 3/4" unless I route out the bottom of the holes quite a bit, which I really don't want to do.  Seimitsu PS-14's seems like they're a little longer, but it's hard to find solid info if they'll work.  Crown has some too, but save issue.  I'd prefer concave.  Just wondering if anyone has an suggestions on what screw-in type buttons would work meeting those specs.  Geek Pub has a kit that might be my fallback if I can't figure something else out, but they're probably pretty cheapy I'd imagine.

Thanks

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:18:34 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Help with Buttons!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 01:18:40 am »
I'm looking for buttons for my control panel that is 3/4" thick (plus plexi) with 30mm holes.

I really wanted the OSBN Sanwa buttons, but it doesn't look like they would be long enough for 3/4" unless I route out the bottom of the holes quite a bit, which I really don't want to do.  Seimitsu PS-14's seems like they're a little longer, but it's hard to find solid info if they'll work.
PS-14's aren't long enough for 3/4" plus plexi.
The PS-14-KN buttons 30mm buttons -- standard 1-1/8" buttons have a thread diameter of ~1.097" and use a 28mm (1.102") bit.

They are are very similar (interchangable cap) to Seimitsu PS-14-GN-C buttons that mount on 1/2" thick wood and have a thread diameter of ~1.165".

Just wondering if anyone has an suggestions on what screw-in type buttons would work meeting those specs.
Closest good ones that I can think of are Ultimarc Goldleafs.

You might want to make a sleeve with 0.75mm to 1mm thick walls to keep the 28mm button body centered in the 30mm hole.
- Easy to do if you have a 3d printer.  LMK if you want a printable/customizable model for this, it'll only take a few minutes to design in OpenSCAD.

For comparison, here are a Happ/IL and a Goldleaf installed on 3/4 MDF.

Scott

smazze

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 11:45:55 am »
Okay, bummer that's what I figured...Thanks for the Ultimarc suggestion, I'm ordering a trackball and Ipac 4 from there anyway, maybe I'll just tack onto that order.  I'll ask around and see if I can get access to a 3d printer!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 07:16:40 pm »
I'll ask around and see if I can get access to a 3d printer!
If one isn't available, the Goldleafs are probably OK without a sleeve or you can use electrical tape, thin cardboard, or heatshrink.

Scott

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 06:33:53 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 10:21:39 pm »
If one isn't available, the Goldleafs are probably OK without a sleeve or you can use electrical tape, thin cardboard, or heatshrink.

Scott

Plumbers tape seems ideal for this purpose
Check out my completed projects!

smazze

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2024, 10:22:43 am »
Good suggestions, that blue painters tape too probably.  Geek pub has these lighted  button kits that a crazy good deal if they're decent....

https://www.thegeekpub.com/product-category/arcade-controller-kits/

I don't think I'd make use of the joysticks or usb encoders, but even for the buttons and wiring it seems like a goo deal.  Says they are 30mm, but when I look at the diagram it looks like 28mm - kinda annoying.

smazze

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 12:34:47 pm »
You might want to make a sleeve with 0.75mm to 1mm thick walls to keep the 28mm button body centered in the 30mm hole.
- Easy to do if you have a 3d printer.  LMK if you want a printable/customizable model for this, it'll only take a few minutes to design in OpenSCAD.
Scott

If that offer for a model is still on the table, my library will do 3d printing!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 11:51:08 pm »
Scott

If that offer for a model is still on the table, my library will do 3d printing!
Here you go.   :cheers:

Code: [Select]
// Goldleaf Adapter Sleeve
// - Centers the 28mm Goldleaf button in a 30mm hole.

/////////////////////////////
//      Define variables

SleeveOuterDiameter = 30;
SleeveInnerDiameter = 28;
SleeveHeight = 12;

// The inner diameter value may need to be *very slightly* larger to account for the 180-sided polygon used to render circles -- see "undersized holes" at https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenSCAD_User_Manual/Primitive_Solids#cylinder

$fn=180; // Number of fragments (polygon sides) used to render a circle

//      Make the part

// Make the part
difference() {
// Outer cylinder minus inner cylinder and gap

cylinder(SleeveHeight, d=SleeveOuterDiameter, center=true);
    // Outer cylinder

cylinder(SleeveHeight + 1, d=SleeveInnerDiameter, center=true);
    // Inner cylinder

translate([0, SleeveOuterDiameter/2, 0])
    cube ([2, 5, SleeveHeight + 1], center=true);
    // Gap

}
//

I made the sleeve 12mm tall so it will work on 1/2" or 3/4" control panels and included a 2mm gap for flexibility.
- The .STL file is all you need to print the sleeves.
- If someone wants to remix this for a thinner panel, just change the SleeveHeight variable on line 10 of the .SCAD (OpenSCAD) file and generate a new .STL.

Did a quick test print (PLA filament, 0.4mm nozzle) and it came out perfect.   ;D

Scott
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 11:58:23 pm by PL1 »

smazze

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2024, 11:14:46 pm »
That’s awesome, thanks so much!  I sent it to the printer today!  I’m going to have to learn to do this stuff myself.

Cheers man, much appreciated. I’ll let you k is how it turns out.

smazze

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2024, 10:00:36 am »
That’s awesome, thanks so much!  I sent it to the printer today!  I’m going to have to learn to do this stuff myself.

Cheers man, much appreciated. I’ll let you k is how it turns out.

So I went with the eclipse led buttons from t molding. I guess the size of the hole didn’t matter as much as I thought it would since the blunts griip the underside of the wood really well. And I just slit the graphics to shove the button through so they kinda takes up some space too. Made the washers but didn’t use them.

Love the buttons too, the black plunger is great. Led but not too much led.