Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRTEmudriver working after PC restart, but never from cold boot? [SOLVED]  (Read 495 times)

kingkatt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 12:42:22 pm
Hello friends. Here's a weird issue I'm having with my Sega New Net City + Windows 10 PC setup.

When booting the PC from the powered-off state, the bios screen and Windows loading screens all display correctly, but when it gets to the Windows sign-in screen, the 640x480 60Hz desktop resolution is displayed in a thin scrambled strip across the middle of the screen. See attached image.

I can fix it by following these steps:
  • Use my secondary monitor to go into Windows Display Settings
  • Change the resolution of Display 1 to one of my super-resolution modes
  • Change the resolution of Display 1 back to the 640x480 desktop resolution
  • Restart the PC
After restarting, everything works fine. Windows starts up and the monitor in my cab displays the Windows sign-in screen at 640x480 perfectly. After that, I can use all my emulators without issues.

But the next time I boot the PC from cold, I'll have to repeat these steps again. I don't understand why it works after a restart but never from a cold boot. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

My setup:
  • Sega New Net City with Toshiba PF29 tri-sync monitor
  • Windows 10 PC with Dell AMD Radeon R5 240 flashed with ATOM-15 tri-sync ranges
  • The arcade cabinet monitor is set as primary display 1 connected via DVI with VGA adapter to the R5 240.
  • I have a CRT PC monitor as a secondary display connected via VGA to Intel integrated graphics.
  • Windows display settings set to "extend desktop" across both monitors
  • I followed the guides on Calamity's site for setting up CRT Emudriver + VMMaker using the tri-sync preset + super-resolutions + EDID emulation
  • I've attached my user_modes.ini file (saved as a .txt file for this forum) and a log.txt file from VMMaker.
Let me know if there is any other information needed to help troubleshoot this odd problem.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 01:38:55 pm by kingkatt »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: CRTEmudriver working after PC restart, but never from cold boot?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 02:12:07 pm »
Hi kingkatt,

You need to disable fast startup on Windows 10.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

kingkatt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 12:42:22 pm
Re: CRTEmudriver working after PC restart, but never from cold boot?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 01:36:56 pm »
Yeah, that worked! Thank you!

I do remember seeing that step in the setup guide, but I misunderstood it as disabling fast boot in the bios. Not the same thing as fast startup it seems. Now I know. :-D