Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cruis'n World security/board  (Read 614 times)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:29:54 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Cruis'n World security/board
« on: January 16, 2024, 11:03:18 am »
I have a couple of Cruis'n World boards in the shop for repair. one of the boards works 100%. the other powers on and plays random noises and flashes of random garbage on the screen.

ROMS are all good (U2-U25). i've pulled the good roms, ripped them onto the computer and compared them with the bad board chips and they are all good.
all socketed PLC chips work after swapping them to the good board.

The U904 PIC security chip (460 World Cruis'n 25). it doesn't seem to work in the good board. (just blank screen) but putting the good U904 security chip in the non-working board doesn't result in it working either... so i'm pretty sure i have a bad security chip as well as something else. (bad ram chip messing up the bus or something)

i'm probably just going to try and source another board, for the want of not having to spend hours desoldering every ram chip to find the issue. there are boards available on ebay (in particular i can get an offroad challenge PCB much cheaper than a cruis'n world PCB)

long story short I'm going to need to replace this security chip.

so, i've dug around looking for a new security chip, but can't seem to find one anywhere for sale new/used/hacked or otherwise.

anyone know if there is a rip or hack or reverse engineered dump of the programming of it someplace that you could use to burn to a new PIC chip? or maybe a way i can extract the programming from this good chip and clone a new one? i'm aware there are some glitch hack programs and stuff you used to be able to do to get data from pic's if the security fuses have been set on it to lock them... but don't know enough about them to attempt anything.