Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Lowboy in the USA (Modern Games Build)  (Read 290 times)

meltedcactus86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:45:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Lowboy in the USA (Modern Games Build)
« on: May 28, 2024, 10:32:21 pm »
Hello all!

This is my first post, so go easy. ;)

I'm currently working on a new scratch build which will be based off the lowboys that were commonplace in Australia. I live in an old and small house which doesn't easily accommodate the more traditional uprights (narrow doors and stairwells) we are so used to playing on here in the states. As I was researching cabaret style cabinets I stumbled upon the lowboy shape and knew straight away that's what I wanted to build.

Since I was a kid growing up in the late 80s and 90s I always dreamt about having my own arcade cabinet at home. Now, almost touching 40 I'm thankful to have the means and time to achieve my childhood dream. After months of debating, weeks of researching, I've finally decided to build a cabinet for my home.

I will admit, as much as I'm a purest, I'm also OK with leaving things in the past. While CRTs are fantastic and pair excellent with the more vintage games like TMNT and NBA JAM, I was always interested in creating a modern arcade for modern games. That doesn't mean trying to put Fortnite on an arcade machine, but it does mean exploring games with more modern controls, features, graphics, etc.

Beat 'em Ups have always been a favorite of mine and we've currently been going through somewhat of a renaissance in the last 5-10 years. Scott Pilgrim VS The World, Double Dragon Gaiden, River City Girls, Shredder's Revenge, and many more.

The Plan
With that said, I'm not interested in creating a MAME machine capable of playing 1000+ games. My plan is to create a 6-button machine that can handle all of the more modern, retro-inspired games that have been released in the last few years that I enjoy. Currently, that list is less than 10 for me.

The Software
Steam - Let's be real, what other option is there for modern titles on PC.

BigBox - A frontend with simple, decent customization capabilities that allow for a tailored experience.

ShaderGlass - While CRTs might be a thing of the past, their is some amazing software out there that can replicate the visual charm on a modern LCD. Most of the modern games I will be playing on this machine use pixel graphics and it makes for an amazing compliment.

Borderless Gaming - An app purchased through Steam it allows games to run in Windowed Fullscreen mode. This is needed to allow ShaderGlass to run over the top of all the applications to allow for a single CRT filter experience.

The Hardware
1080p 180Hz 23.5" MSI Gaming Monitor
Core i5 12400 CPU
Nvidia 4060 GPU
Sanwa Sticks and Buttons
Schiit Rekker Amp
Focal Audio 4" Speakers

The Art
All the art is designed around TMNT Shredder's Revenge. To my understanding, lowboys were/are a generic chassis that were fitted with any/all PCBs. This means there is usually no dedicated side art. Once a game grew stale, the operator would change them to something different in the hopes of increasing profit. This ultimately means the only art may have been a marquee and instructional sticker. As a graphic designer by study, I put a lot of effort into things of this nature to try and go for an "authentic" feel. I've been working on the back-sheet, which is more like a troubleshooting document stapled on the inside of the rear door and other stickers. I decided to make more of a combination document that is about the game itself and how to operate it. I'm currently working on a Shredder's Revenge instructional sticker that will be applied to the glass when complete among other things.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 10:43:36 pm by meltedcactus86 »

meltedcactus86

• Offline Offline
Re: Lowboy in the USA (Modern Games Build)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2024, 10:34:37 pm »
Cabinet Progress 1

meltedcactus86

• Offline Offline
Re: Lowboy in the USA (Modern Games Build)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2024, 06:07:14 pm »
Making progress. Added the coin door cutout and have nearly everything mocked up. added the CPO art I made along with a little sticker that's kind of like a "How to" sticker. However, this one is more about the plot/story.