Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dreamcast external power supply  (Read 914 times)

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:55:16 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
Dreamcast external power supply
« on: January 04, 2024, 04:16:07 am »
Finally did the external power supply mod on my Dreamcast. Had the parts, just never got around to it. Very simple to do. I used an old 12v 2.5a Netgear power supply.
First pic shows the original Dreamcast internal power supply on the left, and on the right  (the little white thing) is the mod that replaces it internally (it basically just converts a 12vdc input into the various voltages required. Also shown is my wall wart. You supply your own.

Maybe now I can finally finish Shenmue. Yay! There are not a lot of saves and the DC would restart due to the hot power supply before I could make a new save  :angry:

This mod is a no brainer.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 05:25:45 pm by danny_galaga »

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 06:33:53 pm
Re: Dreamcast external power supply
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 07:01:32 am »
Finally did the external power supply mod on my Dreamcast. Had the parts, just never got around to it. Very simple to do. I used an old 12v 2.5a Netgear power supply.

Maybe now I can finally finish Shenmue. Yay! There are not a lot of saves and the DC would restart due to the hot power supply before I could make a new save  :angry:

This mod is a no brainer.

Nice! New life. Looks very straightforward.

Ironically I once replaced a power supply for a Netgear NAS with a modified ATX power supply (I just had to swap two pins on the main connector). Much bigger than yours, obviously more like a computer PSU. NAS ran much happier and cooler with new ATX PSU too. Only problem was, didn't fit inside the case. Glad to see you don't have that issue, tolerable for a NAS but it would suck for a console.
Check out my completed projects!

ZTylerDurden717

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 11:31:28 am »
Amazing.

I didn't think moore's law would have as big an impact on power supplies.  Can't believe that's giving enough juice to a 20+ year old board.

edit: nvm re-read as external psu where the chonkiness is residing.  Still awesome.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 11:34:12 am by ZTylerDurden717 »

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 04:43:17 pm »
Amazing.

I didn't think moore's law would have as big an impact on power supplies.  Can't believe that's giving enough juice to a 20+ year old board.

edit: nvm re-read as external psu where the chonkiness is residing.  Still awesome.

😄

There is a sort of Moore's Law happening though. The old supply has a transformer and linear regulators. Linear regs work well, but they dump the excess power as heat, right in that little console. By mass, all the new parts including the external PSU is probably half the old, because the new PSU is using buck converter tech. Even if it all went back inside the console there would be less heat in there. They still produce SOME heat though, so it's nice it's not inside anymore.

It's not all beer and skittles though. Linear regulators might waste a lot of energy by turning it into heat, but they produce a very smooth voltage. On the other hand, a $2 power supply may just kill your electronics. Hence I was glad I had a Netgear (ie a 'name' brand) supply.

This guy compares cheapo USB chargers to name brand. Same tech. Quite an eye opener

https://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html?m=1

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 06:33:53 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 12:49:54 am »
I had a "Counterfeit iphone" (though there is no writing on it at all) charger melt on me a year or two ago. I took a photo (attached). I see your guy gave it a massive one-bolt rating :)

Bought about five of them years ago for cheap.

Anyway, I still have a couple that haven't melted or mysteriously vanished yet, and use them occasionally, but never near anything flammable, and check regularly. If getting a bit too warm, unplug.

EDIT: after reading the article fully, I might not use them at all anymore (safety).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 01:50:22 am by Zebidee »
Check out my completed projects!

ZTylerDurden717

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm »

😄

There is a sort of Moore's Law happening though. The old supply has a transformer and linear regulators. Linear regs work well, but they dump the excess power as heat, right in that little console. By mass, all the new parts including the external PSU is probably half the old, because the new PSU is using buck converter tech. Even if it all went back inside the console there would be less heat in there. They still produce SOME heat though, so it's nice it's not inside anymore.

It's not all beer and skittles though. Linear regulators might waste a lot of energy by turning it into heat, but they produce a very smooth voltage. On the other hand, a $2 power supply may just kill your electronics. Hence I was glad I had a Netgear (ie a 'name' brand) supply.

This guy compares cheapo USB chargers to name brand. Same tech. Quite an eye opener

https://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html?m=1

Thanks for that wealth of knowledge  :)

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 04:54:21 am »
I had a "Counterfeit iphone" (though there is no writing on it at all) charger melt on me a year or two ago. I took a photo (attached). I see your guy gave it a massive one-bolt rating :)

Bought about five of them years ago for cheap.

Anyway, I still have a couple that haven't melted or mysteriously vanished yet, and use them occasionally, but never near anything flammable, and check regularly. If getting a bit too warm, unplug.

EDIT: after reading the article fully, I might not use them at all anymore (safety).

Yeah, I would smash and bin.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/australianz/woman-dies-in-australia-using-cheap-usb-style-charger
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 04:57:35 am by danny_galaga »