Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Compact Cassette Tapes Art Reproduction Website  (Read 1232 times)

meyer980

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 10:07:47 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
Compact Cassette Tapes Art Reproduction Website
« on: December 23, 2023, 05:52:39 pm »
Hey all, a lot of people around here know I enjoy doing artwork layout and reproduction. I've been helping out with that for some people in a new hobby of mine: cassette tapes

I learned the community doesn't really have a place to find that type of stuff other than manually browsing their forums so I built a website for it:

https://tapeartrepros.sergiostuff.com/

If that kind of thing interest you, check it out! You'll find high quality reproductions of j-cards, labels, and packaging with contributions from myself and others. It's only been up for 5 days but adding more all the time!

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:17:53 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: Compact Cassette Tapes Art Reproduction Website
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2023, 11:19:21 am »
Very nice looking site, and I'm seriously not knocking the effort, but I can't help but ask the question as to why there is a demand for cassette tape images?  If someone told me that there is a preservation community for that format, I think my head might explode as it is easily the worst possible consumer media for music reproduction and was basically invented to fill the need for portability when there weren't other options.  Even the venerable 8-track was better in that regard, if not without it's own demons.

But as usual, I'm probably just missing something :)

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:55:16 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2023, 06:03:32 pm »
Very nice looking site, and I'm seriously not knocking the effort, but I can't help but ask the question as to why there is a demand for cassette tape images?  If someone told me that there is a preservation community for that format, I think my head might explode as it is easily the worst possible consumer media for music reproduction and was basically invented to fill the need for portability when there weren't other options.  Even the venerable 8-track was better in that regard, if not without it's own demons.

But as usual, tv I'm probably just missing something :)

Nostalgia?

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

meyer980

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 10:07:47 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2023, 07:29:01 pm »

But as usual, I'm probably just missing something :)

Haha if you're looking for a *practical* reason, absolutely none. For me it hits many of the same joy points as the arcade hobby. Some level of nostalgia, owning and fixing something I only dreamed about as a kid, and the physicality of it. Definitely not looking for the best sound quality - but the *act* of trying to get the best possible sound out of your hardware is still fun. And it's a level of technical repair that's fairly easy as an entry point (replacing belts, bulbs, adjusting levels etc. isn't very hard) but gives you a feeling of accomplishment. I rarely put a tape in and play through a full album, I have much better methods for that. But tinkering is still fun.

That's what I'm in it for anyway. And hell, while I've got the equipment, might as well record a mix tape. And if I'm gonna make a mix tape, it's gonna need a high quality, clean, vector j-card!

I can't contribute much to the community from a technical knowledge standpoint but I'm good at art layout and vector work so figured it was one way I could give back.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:17:53 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2023, 12:42:53 am »
I can see that from a restoration/preservation angle.  Thanks for the elucidation  :)

Back in the day, I had a pricey Dolby noise reduction component, which got rid of the hiss if you didn't mind the compression artifacting and muddier sound.  You basically had to use the metal tape formulation and record through the Dolby component to get anything decent from it, which made the tapes sound pretty bad on a normal player.  I don't miss those days, but the mechanical bits in some of the higher-end players were definitely interesting (and insanely expensive).  I guess if one spends a bunch of time restoring an expensive unit which physically flips the tape, that same person would want a nice-looking tape for it to flip.