Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can I get rid of these #$&^% OK warnings once and for all?  (Read 4002 times)

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
Can I get rid of these #$&^% OK warnings once and for all?
« on: March 05, 2004, 12:05:19 am »
OK, I've read all the posts on this, tried all the hacks, etc.  Nothing friggin works.  The MameDevs finally gave us options for skipping the copyright and info screens.  What is the F-ing deal with the "doesn't have 110% absolutely perfectly calibrated colors" warinings?  Who the hell cares that Galaga doesn't have perfect video emulation?  I can't tell, can you?  And being one of the oldest classics, I'm assuming it has been in MAME for years.  How long exactly does it take to GET the video emulation 100% accurate?

OK, I'm done ranting, now the facts:

YES, I tried NoNameMame.  I didn't find anywhere that there is an option to disable warnings.

YES, I tried compiling my own version of MAME, using the code hacks that various people recommended.  None of them worked.  (I mean, the compile worked, the Mame executables I made worked, but the warnings were still there even when I followed all instructions.)  I also tried this with MAME and MAME32qa.  No dice.

I did discover in the latest MAME source, that there appears to be a new line in mame.c that looks for the option "skip_warnings".  However, that option is unrecognized when I try to use it in commandline MAME, and also does not exist in the mame.ini or in the MAME32 or NoNameMame gui.  :P

Does anyone out there distribute a variant of MAME that has this feature built in?  I might be doing something wrong in my compile, but it seems to be pretty simple and straightforward as long as you have all the support files and type in the right commandlines...

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
Re:Can I get rid of these #$&^% OK warnings once and for all?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 09:01:05 am »
I can't help you with your problem, but I can tell you what the deal with Galaga is.

It's using the starfield from the Galaxian driver.  Now, I gotta tell you, I too can not tell the difference (maybe if I had an actual machine in front of me I could, but I don't).

Aparently the docs for the chip used to make the starfield and that do some of the sound effects are obscure because they were a custom chip.  So they have to go back thru over and over and try other stuff.

If I were a software guy, I'd be all over this in a second.  I'm more hardware, so...

APFelon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:10:35 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2004, 09:04:27 am »
From what I understand, the warnings are to stem the flood of e-mails they used to get about the same problem over and over and over. It appears to have worked, as the warnings are still there.

APf

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2004, 09:26:33 am »
1Up,

In NoNameMame you need the following in your mame.ini

Code: [Select]
skip_disclaimer         1
skip_gameinfo           1
skip_gamewarnings       1
skip_baddumps           1

Works like a charm.

Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 02:51:47 pm »
1Up,

In NoNameMame you need the following in your mame.ini

Code: [Select]
skip_disclaimer         1
skip_gameinfo           1
skip_gamewarnings       1
skip_baddumps           1

Works like a charm.

Well, I put those entries in the .ini, but now I have another problem--noname does not recognize my galaga roms!  Funny, it's the same romset I've been using since mame .36, and it still works with Mame/mame32 .79b.  WTF!?!?!  >:(

My other job...

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 03:03:39 pm »
Galaga was changed as of v.79u1, so that is your reason.

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2004, 03:45:31 pm »
Galaga was changed as of v.79u1, so that is your reason.

GAH!!!  OK, I know theres' supposed to be some file they release for new MAMEs that lets me update my roms without downloading new dumps.  What is it and how do I use it??

OK, I tried an older .78 version of noname, and it actually has the other options in the .ini file, all I had to do is change the 0's to 1's and Galaga starts with no warnings now.  For some reason, the newer version does not recognize these options at all.  ???  Some GD consistency would be nice...either that or some relevant docs bundled with the GD software.  I really love hunting down all this crap, only to be thwarted at every turn and ultimately having to look like a newb with this kind of post...

My other job...

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2018, 09:07:04 am
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2004, 06:11:07 pm »
Sorry about that. But remember that No Name MAME 0.79 is different than version 0.78, and not all features have been readded yet. There are still skip_disclaimer and skip_gameinfo. I'll readd skip_gamewarnings and skip_baddumps asap. If there are any other issues, please contact me.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2004, 06:13:06 pm »
GAH!!!  OK, I know theres' supposed to be some file they release for new MAMEs that lets me update my roms without downloading new dumps.  What is it and how do I use it??

Generate a .dat file with

C:\MAME\> mame.exe -listinfo > mame79u1.dat

and run the ROMs thru ClrMAME.

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2004, 06:28:14 pm »
Sorry about that. But remember that No Name MAME 0.79 is different than version 0.78, and not all features have been readded yet. There are still skip_disclaimer and skip_gameinfo. I'll readd skip_gamewarnings and skip_baddumps asap. If there are any other issues, please contact me.

Heheh...sorry I got so torqued about this...I just brought my cabinet to work, and it's been a nonstop barrage of "this game doesn't work!" and "how do I press OK without a keyboard?" etc.  On top of that, my boss has been wanting to shut the thing down because people are playing too much and not working, so I've spent a fair amount of my off hours trying to devise ways to restrict play time.  I finally just started requiring people to come to me for tokens...  :-\

So I spent hours yesterday compiling and recompiling different versions of mame to try to get a just a few games working without the warning screens.  There's the added pressure that during all this, my actual working hours are down due to all this troubleshooting.  And I haven't been able to do any work on my new cabinet business in the week since I brought my cab in.

BTW, will future versions of NoName continue to have Pong enabled?  That is the coolest feature IMHO!  ;)

My other job...

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2004, 07:12:05 pm »
Its okay, I actually meant to add that. It is back in there now, and I could send it a version to you if you want (I'm going to try to work out the DOS problem before I release it to the public though). Just let me know what OS you run and your e-mail address.

And No Name MAME will always have Pong enabled. In fact, adding Pong was the reason why I even started No Name MAME in the first place.

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2004, 07:55:11 pm »

Generate a .dat file with

C:\MAME\> mame.exe -listinfo > mame79u1.dat

and run the ROMs thru ClrMAME.

Hmm...are the >'s supposed to be carriage returns, or do I actually type those?

My other job...

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2004, 09:04:47 pm »
Go to your mame directory, and type "mame -listinfo > mame79u1.dat". And you are supposed to type the ">". It basically means to take the output of -listinfo and save it to mame79u1.dat.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2004, 12:05:56 pm »
What GatesOfBill said.  The first ">" was supposed to imply a DOS prompt.  The second was literal.

Tiger-Heli

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2004, 01:35:46 pm »
Hi GOB,   No Name MAME has become a favorite of mine, but I have one suggestion:

I previously used MAME Analog + and Urebel did a pretty good job of documenting what is added and what used to work but is now broken, and typically if a feature was in a previous build it was in the new version, unless listed otherwise.

Could you maybe add a table on sourceforge for each new version showing what is isn't included.  For Example -

Skip baddumps/Skip Warnings - Added or Not Added or Broken
Analog + Commands - "
DECO Cassette Loading - "
Cinematronics Sound - Added or not added or Broken or added to official MAME in . . .
Q-Bert Fixes - "

etc.

Otherwise, thanks again for all your hard work!
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2004, 02:37:02 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean. So you want a table with the No Name version on one side and the features of the other? I think thats what you asked.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2004, 03:20:40 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean. So you want a table with the No Name version on one side and the features of the other? I think thats what you asked.
Here's an example - From sourceforge, if I click on NNM 79.04.5, it says

<quote>
Changes: 0.79u4.05: - Added Skip Startup Frames option (SmoothMame) - Added Smooth FPS and Override FPS (SmoothMame) - Added Donkey Kong Sound Enhancement (SmoothMame) - Added Show Matches (SmoothMame) - Fixed some invalid CRC values (thanks Spman1) - Changed CPU to OPT in makefile so that it works
</quote>
It does not say "Added MAME analog Plus changes" (they're in there, and 79u4.2 or so said they were included, but 79u4.1 (might be wrong number) never said they weren't there, but they weren't in the initial 0.79 build.

It doesn't say whether mouse axis saving works or not, although I think it's broken since it is broken in Analog plus.

It does not say "did not add -skipbaddumps/-skipgamewarnings" although these aren't there.

It doesn't tell me whether the Q-bert fixes are included, or the DECO cassette loading, (they were in 76.u2.11, but now???)

Basically, I have to download the latest version and create a new .ini file to see if these options are included.

I should be able to tell what is different from basic MAME from the main whatsnew page on sourceforge.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2004, 03:59:44 pm »
So you want me to make a list of all the features that aren't a part of No Name MAME? That is going to be impossible. Also, you should remember that No Name MAME 0.79u1.01 and above have very little to do with the versions lower than that. I completely started over, which is why I blanked out the changelog.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2004, 04:03:41 pm »
So you want me to make a list of all the features that aren't a part of No Name MAME? That is going to be impossible. Also, you should remember that No Name MAME 0.79u1.01 and above have very little to do with the versions lower than that. I completely started over, which is why I blanked out the changelog.
Well, not so much to list the features that aren't incorporated, but just the ones that once were but are no more.

I didn't realize it started from a clean slate, I guess that makes the confusion easier to understand.