Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyArcade menu plus AttractMode off center, but games look fine.  (Read 492 times)

Shaddycat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:36:01 pm
  • Just trying to learn
I finally bit the bullet and bought a supported GPU from the Groovyarcade gitlab page.  And it displays games great, but the AttractMode menu, and all subsequent menus outside of games, are not displaying right.  The picture is shifted too far to the left, and the image is washed out and too bright.  I checked the geometry tool and it's centered there.  It's a Wei Ya Makvision M3125 monitor, set to the tri-synch pre-set.  Monitor is directly hooked up to a Radeon R7 250.  Does anyone have any suggestions for where to check next?  I assume there's some sort of config file I can edit in GroovyArcade to get the menu's looking alright.

Video above of me opening the geometry tool and going back to the menu.

Substring

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2024, 03:09:00 am
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
Re: GroovyArcade menu plus AttractMode off center, but games look fine.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 01:25:59 pm »
I'll go in a little more "in-depth" explanation since I have more time now to explain things than answering discord messages on phone at work !

The 1st thing to understand is : emulators and the system do not run at the same resolution ! Switchres operates with the setting tweaked with the geometry edits, whereas OS resolutions (aka boot resolution) are fixed in the kernel, but we can circumvent that, I'll explain a little later

The 2nd thing to understand, is how swichres works regarding monitor definitions. I encourage you to read https://gitlab.com/groovyarcade/support/-/wikis/3-Post-Installation-and-Maintenance/3.5-Monitor-Definitions and what a crt_range is, and notice that a tri-sync monitor has at least 3 crt_ranges.

Now we know a little more about some background, let's go a further in depth :
- the geometry tool is meant for a single crt_range. But you have 3 ... eeeek ... so if you want to center your monitor for 3 ranges, it's much more complicated since you have to manually edit the switchres.ini file, then force a single ranged monitor (or manually ste a crt_range), do the geometry thing, sve the resulting crt_range. Once you did this for all the crt_ranges of your monitor preset, add the 3 of them but name them crt_rage0 crt_range1 crt_range2 etc ... Not ideal I must admit, but technologically speaking: as of today, I can't do more without guessing crt_ranges of the monitor_reset, and that would make my code really complicated
- now we can do something to the boot resolution once you're done with geometry tweaking. In gasetup go to gasetup > setup > video setup > boot resolution, select custom, enter the resolution/frequency you want, test it, validate, and it *should* work then. If not (which can happen), we'll need to do some manual edits
-