Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help for emulating consoles in Groovy MAME.  (Read 1984 times)

Super-Becker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:22:50 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Help for emulating consoles in Groovy MAME.
« on: November 25, 2023, 09:27:40 am »
Hello everybody! Can anyone tell me how to get to the screen where there is the "cartridge" option in Groovy MAME? I already have everything installed: Groovy MAME, CRT Emudriver, roms, bios, but I don't know how to get to the screen where there is the "cartridge" option. If anyone can help I would be immensely grateful.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:35:02 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Help for emulating consoles in Groovy MAME.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2023, 03:28:58 pm »
Hello everybody! Can anyone tell me how to get to the screen where there is the "cartridge" option in Groovy MAME? I already have everything installed: Groovy MAME, CRT Emudriver, roms, bios, but I don't know how to get to the screen where there is the "cartridge" option. If anyone can help I would be immensely grateful.
Disclaimer: I haven't done a full set up in MAME for any consoles, but here are some general setup recommendations:
- Use MAME software list-compatible ROMs if you can find a place to download them so you don't have to worry about bad/wrong dumps or renaming them.
- You probably want to put the the software list ROMs for each particular system in a separate subdirectory since there is likely to be some overlap between filenames.  For example, Asteroids for Atari 2600 and Asteroids for arcade are both "asteroid" so put the all of the arcade ROMs in "\mame\roms\" and all of the Atari 2600 ROMs in "\mame\roms\a2600\".

The MAME manual has some good info in section 4.1 on pages 25-26.

https://docs.mamedev.org/_files/MAME.pdf

(The bolded sections below from the current MAME 0.261 manual appear to be the most relevant to what you're trying to do.)
4.1 Using MAME
If you want to dive right in and skip the command line, there's a nice graphical way to use MAME without the need
to download and set up a front end. Simply start MAME with no parameters, by double-clicking the mame.exe file or
running it directly from the command line. If you're looking to harness the full power of MAME, keep reading further.
On macOS and *nix-based platforms, please be sure to set your font up to match your locale before starting, otherwise
you may not be able to read the text due to missing glyphs.
If you are a new MAME user, you could find this emulator a bit complex at first. Let's take a moment to talk about
software lists, as they can simplify matters quite a bit. If the content you are trying to play is a documented entry on
one of the MAME software lists, starting the content is as easy as
    mame.exe <system> <software>
For instance:
    mame.exe nes metroidu
will load the USA version of Metroid for the Nintendo Entertainment System.
Alternatively, you could start MAME with
    mame.exe nes
and choose the software list from the cartridge slot. From there, you could pick any software list-compatible software
you have in your roms folders. Please note that many older dumps of cartridges and discs may either be bad or require
renaming to match up to the software list in order to work in this way
If you are loading an arcade board or other non-software list content, things are only a little more complicated:
The basic usage, from command line, is
    mame.exe <system> <media> <software> <options>
where
• <system> is the short name of the system you want to emulate (e.g. nes, c64, etc.)
• <media> is the switch for the media you want to load (if it's a cartridge, try -cart or -cart1; if it's a floppy disk,
try -flop or -flop1; if it's a CD-ROM, try -cdrom)
• <software> is the program / game you want to load (and it can be given either as the fullpath to the file to load,
or as the shortname of the file in our software lists)
• <options> is any additional command line option for controllers, video, sound, etc.
Remember that if you type a <system> name which does not correspond to any emulated system, MAME will suggest
some possible choices which are close to what you typed; and if you don't know which <media> switch are available,
you can always launch
mame.exe <system> -listmedia
If you don't know what <options> are available, there are a few things you can do. First of all, you can check the
command line options section of this manual. You can also try one of the many Front-ends available for MAME.
Alternatively, you should keep in mind the following command line options, which might be very useful on occasion:
mame.exe -help
gives a basic summary of command line options for MAME, as explained above.
mame.exe -showusage
gives you the (quite long) list of available command line options for MAME. The main options are described, in the
Universal Command-line Options section of this manual.
mame.exe -showconfig
gives you a (quite long) list of available configuration options for MAME. These options can always be modified
at command line, or by editing them in mame.ini which is the main configuration file for MAME. You can find a
description of some configuration options in the Universal Command-line Options section of the manual (in most
cases, each configuration option has a corresponding command line option to configure and modify it).
mame.exe -createconfig
creates a brand new mame.ini file, with default configuration settings. Notice that mame.ini is basically a plain text
file, so you can open it with any text editor (e.g. Notepad, Emacs or TextEdit) and configure every option you need.
However, no particular tweaks are needed to start, so you can leave most of the options unaltered.
If you execute mame -createconfig when you already have an existing mame.ini from a previous MAME version,
MAME automatically updates the pre-existing mame.ini by copying changed options into it.
Once you are more confident with MAME options, you may want to adjust the configuration of your setup a bit more.
In this case, keep in mind the order in which options are read; see Order of Config Loading for details.

Scott

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 10:31:53 am »
It's a shame that I formatted the hard drive to put Groovy Arcade in, which caused me more problems, as I couldn't get it to work. I will install Windows again and follow the tips you posted. Thank you very much, friend.

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 02:41:54 pm »
Unfortunately it didn't work for me. I created a file with the name Atari.bat, inside "mame.exe Atariroms" (without quotes). I run and open the command prompt and it closes instantly without being able to read what is written. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. If anyone can make a tutorial video I would be grateful as there are none on YouTube.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 04:17:18 pm »
Unfortunately it didn't work for me. I created a file with the name Atari.bat, inside "mame.exe Atariroms" (without quotes).
The command "mame.exe Atariroms" tells MAME to launch the (nonexistent) "Atariroms" system.

"mame.exe a2600" tells MAME to launch the Atari 2600 system.
"mame.exe nes" tells MAME to launch the Nintendo Entertainmant System.

This will allow you to select titles from the software list for the system.

NOTE:
You will need to have the ROMpath for the directory containing the software list ROMs in an .ini file.

mame.ini
#
# CORE SEARCH PATH OPTIONS
#
homepath                  .
rompath                   roms;roms/a2600;roms/nes

If you still run into the problem of same-named ROMs like the "asteroid" example mentioned above, put the default rompath in mame.ini and put the system's rompath in the related system's .ini file -- you only need to include lines that are different from mame.ini.

mame.ini
#
# CORE SEARCH PATH OPTIONS
#
homepath                  .
rompath                   roms
a2600.ini
rompath                   roms/a2600

I run and open the command prompt and it closes instantly without being able to read what is written.
Don't double-click on the batch file icon to launch it until you get it working properly.

1. Open a command window. (shift + right click on empty part of directory window -- "open command window here")

2. Run the command or batch file from the command window.

3. The command window won't shut when the command or batch file finishes running.

Scott
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 04:33:14 pm by PL1 »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2023, 02:30:53 am »
Tried a few things for Atari 2600 and here's what will probably be the easiest for you to setup and navigate.

Turns out you don't need to make an a2600.ini file or use mame's official software list.
- I got the software list to launch some games, but it looks like it's easier to just launch game files (slightly less configuration required and more flexibility on which games will run) using the directions below.

1. Make directories under "\mame\software\" for each system and/or for easier navigation.
- Directory names can be whatever you want.
- You may want directories for Atari 2600, NES, and a favorite directory for each of them.
-- "mame\software\a2600\"
-- "mame\software\a2600_Favorites\"
-- "mame\software\NES\"
-- "mame\software\NES_Favorites\"

2. Put the game files in those directories.
- With the example above, I would put all of the Atari 2600 games in "mame\software\a2600\" and put just the frequently played and popular ones in "mame\software\a2600_Favorites\".
- Game filenames can be whatever you want.
- Game files can be zipped or unzipped, but zipped games add one layer of navigation.  For example, "Asteroids (USA).zip" contains "Asteroids (USA).a26" so you would have to navigate through the .zip file to get to the .a26 file.

3. Make a .bat file containing this line to launch the Atari 2600 system.
mame.exe a2600

When you run this .bat file:
- MAME will launch into the Atari 2600 system and tell you that you need to mount a cart.
- With "cartridge (cart)" highlighted, press ENTER.
- Navigate to the desired game directory/file.  You can skip ahead by typing "war" to jump to Warlords.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you do the extra configuration steps below to get MAME's software list working, you can make a .bat file containing this line to launch a specific game on the Atari 2600 system.  Substitute the name on the right side of the software list for "asteroid".
mame.exe a2600 -cart asteroid

The additional steps to configure for software list are:
1. Make a "mame\roms\a2600\" directory.

2. Put the software list game files in the "mame\roms\a2600\" directory.
- Keep the game files zipped files, just like you do with MAME arcade ROMs.
- Game .ZIP files must use the correct software list names. i.e. Asteroids is asteroids.zip and Atlantis (Imagic) is atlantis.zip.
-- I renamed non-software list downloads of these .ZIP files and they both worked.  YMMV.

3. Edit the mame.ini file rompath line to add the new directory.
rompath                   roms;roms/a2600

Scott

reeone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:31:13 pm
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2023, 04:43:02 am »
executable           mame.exe
args                 nes [name]
workdir              D:\groovymame\
rompath              D:\groovymame\roms\nes\
romext               .zip;.7z;.nes
system               MAME-NES;Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
info_source          listsoftware
import_extras        D:\attract-v2.6.1-win64\romlists\nes.xml

work fine with Attract-Mode.just change "nes" to other consoles's rom name

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2023, 07:40:49 am »
For ages, I've been wondering how to enable paddles or driving controls for Atari 2600 in MAME.

The answer is to use a command line/batch file like these to launch a game via the software list.
(Changing configuration didn't seem to work from within the GUI.  ??? )

The "-joyport1 pad" option configures the Atari 2600 with paddles for P1/P2.
mame a2600 kaboom -joyport1 pad

Adding "-joyport2 pad" configures the Atari 2600 with paddles for P1-P4.  (Multimouse in mame.ini is your friend.)
mame a2600 warlords -joyport1 pad -joyport2 pad

The "wheel" option is for games like Indy 500 that used the driving controller.
mame a2600 indy500 -joyport1 wheel -joyport2 wheel

There are joyport options for other controller types like keypads or the CBS Booster Grip.
- You can find the names of them under the MAME "slot devices" menu.
- Press ENTER to see a more detailed description of the option.

Map/adjust the controls in MAME as usual.

All three of the examples above confirmed working with mouse/spinner.  Warlords was also tested using an analog joystick. (potentiometer)   :woot

Scott
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 08:07:16 am by PL1 »

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:52:06 pm
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2023, 03:17:31 pm »
It's a shame that I formatted the hard drive to put Groovy Arcade in, which caused me more problems, as I couldn't get it to work. I will install Windows again and follow the tips you posted. Thank you very much, friend.
Hav you even asked for help on GroovyArcade ?

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2023, 12:57:12 pm »
Hav you even asked for help on GroovyArcade ?

I didn't ask because everything seems so self-explanatory. I just downloaded the latest iso and the update should be done automatically when we select the correct option. However, the following warning appeared: "You'll have to manually run 'sudo pacman -Syu' and answer questions. Grab your keyboard!". I tried every way to solve it but I couldn't, so I decided to go back to Groovy MAME. There is nothing for amateur users. Everything requires a lot of headaches and a lot of time spent. In tutorials on YouTube everything works but in reality it's something else.

PL1:
I don't know if I'll be happier when I get it to work than I am now having your help. Thank you very much.

I found an interesting option that suits me well, if I can do the same for other consoles in MAME. I found a bios "sms" that gives me the "Master System II" option. I click and the complete list of Master System games appears. I believe I must place the roms in that directory for the games to work. But I can't find out where this default directory is. So the option I have is the empty cartridge, which I direct to the game "Alex Kidd In Miracle World" which is in the Master System's memory. With the game running, I click on tab and I can get to the "cartridge" option and I can choose the roms directory and all games are recognized and playable. I would like to fix this directory but I didn't find an option for that. This way I can now run "Nintendo, Master System and Genesis". I still want to run "Atari, Super Nintendo and PlayStation1", but I have to know which bios I need.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 01:10:35 pm by Super-Becker »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2023, 05:58:21 pm »
I found an interesting option that suits me well, if I can do the same for other consoles in MAME. I found a bios "sms" that gives me the "Master System II" option. I click and the complete list of Master System games appears. I believe I must place the roms in that directory for the games to work. But I can't find out where this default directory is. So the option I have is the empty cartridge, which I direct to the game "Alex Kidd In Miracle World" which is in the Master System's memory. With the game running, I click on tab and I can get to the "cartridge" option and I can choose the roms directory and all games are recognized and playable. I would like to fix this directory but I didn't find an option for that.
Just like the info I posted above there are two approaches that you can use:

1. Official MAME Software List files under "mame\roms\" is the most reliable way.
- As mentioned previously, put the software list .zip files for the system in a sub-directory for that system under "mame\roms\".  i.e. The Atari 2600 Asteroids file on my system is "\mame\roms\a2600\asteroid.zip".

2. Non-official dumps/games under "mame\software\" are not as reliable.
- As mentioned previously, put the non-software list game files (either zipped or unzipped) for the system in a sub-directory for that system under "mame\software\".  i.e. The non-official, unzipped Atari 2600 Asteroids file on my system is "\mame\software\a2600\asteroid.a26".

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it appears that I can't change the File Manager default start directory of "mame\software\", even by redefining the software directory in mame.ini.   :dunno
- This only adds one level of navigation to the entire process so it's only a minor inconvenience.

I still want to run "Atari, Super Nintendo and PlayStation1", but I have to know which bios I need.
"Atari 2600 (NTSC)" - There is no separate BIOS file.
- It should show up in both the "Not BIOS" and "Available" lists using the MAME GUI search feature.

"Super Nintendo Entertainment System / Super Famicom (NTSC)" - BIOS file is snes.zip
- It should show up in the "Available" list.  Wasn't able to pull it up in the "BIOS" list using the MAME GUI search feature.

"Sony PlayStation (USA)" - BIOS file is psu.zip.  Parent ROM is psj.zip "Sony PlayStation (Japan)"
- It should show up in the "Available" list.  Wasn't able to pull it up in the "BIOS" list using the MAME GUI search feature.
- MAME has it flagged as "NOT WORKING" so you may need to look at a different emulator for this system.

Scott

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2023, 12:44:55 pm »
PL1: Thank you very much for your help. Without her I still wouldn't have made it. I'm still hoping that someone will help me run the games from the first list displayed by default. If I don't make it, that's okay, I'm glad I got this far.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2023, 07:33:56 am »
I'm still hoping that someone will help me run the games from the first list displayed by default.
You're referring to the Software List menu at 0:45 in your video, not the second menu shown at 1:17, right?

Mame treats items on the Software List menu like it treats arcade ROMs.
- As long as the Software List version matches the MAME version and you have the needed BIOS and device files in the roms folder, Software List items will launch and work.   ;D
- MAME looks for Software List game files in "mame\roms\[software list name]\", but does not look for them in "mame\software\".

The second menu allows you to run most game files for the system, including homebrew games, hacks, etc.
- If the game you want to play is not on the Software List, this menu is the only way to launch it.
- These game files can be zipped or unzipped in "mame\software\".
- This menu starts you browsing in "mame\software\".

Setup process for MAME Software List:
1. Launch each console/system that you want to run to make sure you have any needed BIOS and/or device files in "mame\roms\".

2. Find and download a MAME Software List set.  Make sure the source you download from identifies the version.
- Use a Software List version that matches (or is as close as possible to) your MAME version, just like you would for arcade ROMsets.
- The one I'm using is a "merged" set.  If anyone reading this is not sure what that means, there's a great description here.
- Each Software List set comes in it's own .zip file.  For example, the Atari 2600 (NTSC) set comes in "a2600.zip", the Atari 2600 (PAL) comes in "a2600p.zip", and NES comes in "nes.zip".
- Some systems use more than one Software List.  For example, the Coleco Adam system uses the three Software Lists "adam_cass" (cassette tapes), "adam_cart" (carts), and "adam_flop" (floppies).  The Software List that the currently highlighted title comes from is shown in the info window at the bottom of the screen.  Some games are on more than one list.

3. When you open the .zip file, you will see a folder with the Software List name.
- For example, "a2600.zip" contains a folder named "a2600" that contains all of the zipped Atari 2600 games and "adam_cart.zip" contains a folder named "adam_cart" that contains all of the zipped Adam game carts.

4. Copy the "a2600" folder and the (still zipped) contents to "mame\roms".  DO NOT rename the folder or the zipped game files or MAME won't be able to find them.  DO NOT combine game files from different folders into a single folder or MAME won't be able to find them.  Fortunately, you don't need to add these folders to the path section of mame.ini.

You should now be able to launch games from the Software List.   :cheers:

One thing that you'll need to do on some games is reconfigure the hardware/controller.

For example, if you want to use a spinner as the NES Arkanoid "vaus" paddle controller:
- Open the NES system and launch Arkanoid from the Software List.
- When Arkanoid starts, the system is in the default configuration with "ctrl1" (controller 1) and "ctrl2" (controller 2) both set to "joypad". The "vaus" controller is not mounted to the system.
- Press TAB to bring up the MAME menu.
- Go to the "Slot Devices" menu.
- Change "ctrl2" from "joypad" to "vaus".
- Highlight the "Reset System" menu item and press ENTER.  The system restarts Arkanoid with the configuration changes you've made.  Controller 2 now shows up as "vaus" controller.
- First time you do this, you'll also need to check/remap the controls and maybe adjust the analog sensitivity.

Scott
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 07:36:17 am by PL1 »

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2024, 01:12:53 pm »
PL1:  Your explanation is correct. Although I thought I had all the roms updated, I saw that I was wrong as only some Atari roms were recognized. Since outdated roms are recognized as they appear in the video, I'll settle for this. Thank you so much again.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2024, 06:48:39 pm »
PL1:  Your explanation is correct. Although I thought I had all the roms updated, I saw that I was wrong as only some Atari roms were recognized. Since outdated roms are recognized as they appear in the video, I'll settle for this. Thank you so much again.
Glad to assist and glad you got things working.   :cheers:

Your questions got me to look further into software lists and old computer systems so I now have MAME running an Apple 2e, a 386 with MS-DOS 5 (at386), a 486 with MS-DOS 6 (at486), and another 486 with Win95. (ct486)

Those systems will run most of the games I wanted to run from software lists.

For other games, there's a shareware program called WinImage that allows you to add/remove/rename files on a virtual disk using a simple GUI.
- Don't bother trying to use floptool.exe or imgtool.exe that comes with MAME.   :banghead:   :banghead:   :banghead:

One example of how WinImage comes in handy is with the Software List version of Lemmings.
- Lemmings has disk-based copy protection that current emulation and the Software List file don't emulate properly.

With the original game/hardware, every time you'd play, it would update a hidden file named RUSSELL.DAT.  Every x number of times you'd play, Lemmings would ask you to insert the floppy and it would read data from a hidden track.  If it found the right data on that hidden track, it would update RUSSELL.DAT so it wouldn't ask for the floppy for another x number of times.  The program did this whether you were running it from floppy or had it installed on your hard drive.

When you try to run Lemmings from the Software List .dsk file or install the program on a virtual hard drive .chd, it tells you to insert the original floppy (i.e. check the disk-based copy) which doesn't work in current emulation.

To get around this:
- Find a copy of Lemmings that is currently not asking you to insert the floppy when you start the game.
- Use WinImage to copy that RUSSELL.DAT to a virtual floppy.
- Boot up your computer system in MAME.
- Change directory to c:\lemmings\
- Delete c:\lemmings\russell.dat. (you might need to use the DOS attrib command to change the file attributes)
- Mount the floppy with the new RUSSELL.DAT in the A: drive and go to the A: drive.
- Copy RUSSELL.DAT to the Lemmings directory of your virtual hard drive. (copy russell.dat c:\lemmings\russell.dat)
- Go to the c:\lemmings directory.
- Use the DOS attrib command to set RUSSELL.DAT to read-only. (attrib russell.dat +r)
- When you run Lemmings, the new RUSSELL.DAT will tell it that you don't need to insert the original floppy and becuse the file is set to read-only, Lemmings can't update it.   ;D

If anyone's interested in running systems like these in MAME, I can help you avoid some pitfalls and get them up and running fairly quickly.

Scott