Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: VR lighthouse based tracking for lightguns  (Read 8704 times)

Toasty833

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:36:16 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: VR lighthouse based tracking for lightguns
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2024, 03:22:10 pm »
Works great, I upped the X borders to 480 so shots in the black borders at 4:3 would be counted as off-screen too and that works fine. The only edge case issue I could find is if you hold down the trigger, enter the border/exit the screen, then return to the screen, it'll send a reload. But this is so minor it isn't even worth fixing, I doubt anyone would run into it and it doesn't cause any problems. No issues with forced scaling, maybe I'll wind up using DS more now, I think HotD3 might have some slight control issues for route selection without it.

greymatr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:16:12 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2024, 03:42:44 pm »
Awesome, glad to hear it works.

I was anticipating a problem like that. But it would've been when clicking in off-screen and re-entering screen area before releasing the click could've caused reload to be stuck on.

But I figured out a way to handle that by releasing both left and right click. Which was a better way than how I first planned to handle it.

I didn't think of what you found but I agree probably not worth fixing atm.

Any more things to fix while I'm on a roll? lol 😆

ThatOneSeong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:12:50 pm
  • Just your average Seong.
    • Twitter
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2024, 06:57:45 pm »
By the way, thanks for that reply ThatOneSeong. It was enlightening. I think choices like this get made earlier on in making a program and then get harder and harder to fix later on. So it just becomes the way it is.
Right.
Keep in mind that I'm not trying to be too harsh (even though I did just call it "dumb") - all the lightgun emulation code was, in all likelihood, developed all the way back in the mid-2000's - when most people already were running 4:3 displays/didn't have a PC lightgun solution at all at the time, so the issue wasn't as prevalent for the person implementing it to take action. I wouldn't be surprised to hear if there's some underlying tech debt left in MAME's code that makes it difficult to resolve--and/or just not enough interested persons around to fix the issue, probably from complacency in the PC light gun community... coughGun4irCough.

Regardless, glad to hear that RetroArch's been working for y'all!

(And for those of you who haven't used DemulShooter yet, yes, it relies on hooking directly into the individual mouse object - that's how it gets multi mice to work after all. So I'm guessing you'll want to load it up while your software is running? The -useSingleMouse option effectively just has DS use the general Windows cursor. I only know this because of having to use it as a workaround on Linux, since Wine currently does not expose individual mouse devices yet.)