Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: can a byoac linux guy tell me why my pc wont turn on unless unplugged first  (Read 719 times)

tommyinajar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2023, 12:23:20 pm
  • My other cab is a Cube Quest
 knew this 10 years ago, but never why, and got painfully reminded recently. switching from windows to linux.

why do some pc's refuse to even spin a fan much less boot, after flipping the power switch usually, untill an unplug. swear it happend on a turn off pc commands too

i wont bore you with every thing that this caused..  :hissy: :hissy: :hissy: :hissy: :hissy: :hissy:

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:54:30 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
sounds like instead of shutting down, it being sent to sleep state. it might be assuming you have a wake button of some kind.

try double clicking the spacebar/return/enter/mouse button and see if it "wakes" back up again doing any of these things.

if none of those work, after the "shutdown" try pressing and holding the power button for 5 seconds (to force the motherboard off if it is indeed still on but sleeping) and then press the power button to see if it powers on then.

tommyinajar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2023, 12:23:20 pm
  • My other cab is a Cube Quest
no, i did every thing to shorting the  pwr and rst pins together , nadda untill pulled 120v off. im thinking some self protect on the mobo feature is on or bad,

it is common, just idk why,and no one else knows either apparently

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:54:30 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
yeah, a cursory google search of the symptoms points to... ram speed issues?? but i don't know about that. seems pretty far fetched. it still seems like a state issue since the power button is unresponsive. i would almost measure the current of the computer being "off" (ie waiting for power button to power on) and "shutdown" (by linux) and see if there is a power consumption difference to see if it's just sleeping of if it's actually shutdown.

maybe have a play in the bios in your power settings and try disabling or changing any kind of power option you see one at a time and see if it start operating properly changing one of those... S3 sleep state to S4 or S5 if available etc. or just disable everything.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/kernel/system-sleeping-states

i know this is for windows... but it explains the different sleep states a computer motherboard can be put into. this issue is weird enough that i still think the computer is being put into a weird sleep state where it's waiting for...something... but seems to be ignoring the power switch. which is why i nitially thought it might be waiting for a "wake button" press

maybe see if issuing in a terminal window a "shudown -h now" command and see how it acts... does it power off? does it stay running? ... in any case then reboot the machine and then issue a "shutdown -P now" and see how it acts trying to power on.

the -h parameter instructs the system to shut down and then halt.
the -P parameter Instructs the system to shut down and then power down.

just kinda throwing things out there and see if we can see a weird action from the system to narrow down what the issue is.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 10:59:08 am by lilshawn »