Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Atari Gamestation  (Read 2770 times)

Zakk

• Gosh, that's a real nice... ooh look, a penny! -- That Zakk is Just Mean
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2024, 01:32:21 am
Atari Gamestation
« on: October 29, 2023, 02:12:59 pm »
Just picked up one of these...pretty interesting piece of hardware. They have included an SD port as a last minute addition, so that you can add roms, and supposedly will handle emulation of multiple systems. I was most interested in the HDMI port, and the non reliance on "cloud" storage. Plus the damn thing is only $99 with two controllers with working paddles built in, that's pretty decent for the price. Anyone else grab one of these? (I know, I'm on a bit of an atari nostalgia kick at the moment).
Back for nostalgia, based on nostalgia.

LTC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 01:38:12 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Atari Gamestation
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2023, 01:51:43 pm »
Do the paddles have stops, or are they continuous motion?

I was thinking of pre-ordering the 2600+, but haven't done it yet. I have plenty of original carts and controllers.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:38:27 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2023, 07:30:24 pm »
I preordered a 2600+ but cancelled when it came out it was emulation and they refused to test Pitfall 2.  And if it’s emulation, why no 5200?  Assault on Dreadnaught is the best game on any of those three consoles.

So, I picked up a couple of the Flashbacks from Goodwill for $30 shipped.  One of them is a system on a chip and with a dremel and a lot of jumper wires you can make it read cartridges.  I was bored in 5 minutes.  No wonder they looked brand new.

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 01:34:31 pm »
Do the paddles have stops, or are they continuous motion?

I was thinking of pre-ordering the 2600+, but haven't done it yet. I have plenty of original carts and controllers.

I won't know for sure until the 25th of Dec :)
I'm purposefully not watching too much about this machine, I do believe I saw a video where they were playing warlords and said it was totally playable with them, so I have to assume they don't have positive stops (and why would they include that, just something more to break).
I DO like the look of the 2600+ but for sure they will end up on ebay for half price within a couple of years, especially if the gamestation takes a big bite out of their sales (which I'm sure it will, I had planned to get the 2600+ and a multicart).

LTC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 01:38:12 pm
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2023, 09:19:12 pm »
I preordered a 2600+ but cancelled when it came out it was emulation and they refused to test Pitfall 2.  And if it’s emulation, why no 5200?  Assault on Dreadnaught is the best game on any of those three consoles.

So, I picked up a couple of the Flashbacks from Goodwill for $30 shipped.  One of them is a system on a chip and with a dremel and a lot of jumper wires you can make it read cartridges.  I was bored in 5 minutes.  No wonder they looked brand new.

I have a Flashback from a thrift store as well. Haven't really played it other than making sure it works. From what I've read, they don't do well with paddle controllers.

fahlim003

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2023, 05:11:11 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2023, 05:11:10 pm »
Just picked up one of these...pretty interesting piece of hardware. They have included an SD port as a last minute addition, so that you can add roms, and supposedly will handle emulation of multiple systems. I was most interested in the HDMI port, and the non reliance on "cloud" storage. Plus the damn thing is only $99 with two controllers with working paddles built in, that's pretty decent for the price. Anyone else grab one of these? (I know, I'm on a bit of an atari nostalgia kick at the moment).

How would you describe the build quality? The Flashback always seemed to cheap to me and while those stock photos look slick the real deal could obviously be different.

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2023, 10:35:45 pm »

How would you describe the build quality? The Flashback always seemed to cheap to me and while those stock photos look slick the real deal could obviously be different.

I actually grabbed it as a gift to myself from my wife. Every year I tell her what to get, and she leaves it until the week before Christmas, and I end up instead getting things like "disney star wars box set", instead of what I wanted. I won't know until Dec 25 :)
That said, reviews say the controllers are a bit light compared to the classic sticks, and the console itself I "believe" has weights in it to add some heft. I just hope it works as an hdmi compatible emu box for the old games.

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2023, 10:22:53 pm »
Okay, so now that it's been opened, here's my take on the Gamestation:

It's pretty awesome. The joysticks work "well enough" out of the box, and after the firmware upgrade even the paddle controller works.
Adding arcade/nes/snes roms are super easy, the trick is getting things to work with the joystick. Emulation seems pretty good, just a tiny bit of slowdown on some of the later snes games. Again, the trouble is trying to play on the atari "style" joysticks. But the thing works out of the box with a fair number of games. I had the daughter's boyfirends all here for Christmas and I forced them to play, and oddly enough, they really got into the VERY simple one on one games like combat/sky diver/3-D tic tac toe and the like. It got fairly competitive and a lot of fun, it was good to have a menu system with graphic depictions for the games, as opposed to fiddling around with carts, or just a text list of names (it also helped that I knew all the games or most of them anyway and knew how to play).  The joysticks are obviously digital, so if it doesn't register a move you did, you sometimes have to do it again, so not as good as an old analog stick, but not all that terrible since both players had the same handicap.

Overall, for $100 I completely recommend it. I do believe you can use an xbox elite stick on these, but kind of hard to justify $150+ per controller just for this, so I'll likely keep my original consoles on the table (was sort of hoping I could eliminate a couple). Oh and arcade roms seem to work perfectly. Simple games like pacman and donkey kong I've tested and they worked no problem.

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2024, 02:20:09 am »

I meant to load up pitfall II and try it out and get back to you, I'll try and do that the next couple of days. There are 5200 games on there pre-loaded, but not many, and not ideal with the joystick. HOWEVER they just hinted at a new joystick which includes a number keypad, so likely 5200 support will improve. I'll admit that I never thought much of the 5200 because I had an atari 800 and the games were pretty much copies, but I have NEVER heard of assault on dreadnaught, I can't find anything online except some weird phone app I think?

They just announced a new controller for the gamestation, and it includes a numpad, so that likely means better 5200 support. https://x.com/GenXGrownUp/status/1742629242028900608?s=20  If they can produce a decent joystick for a good price, this console might really be something.

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2024, 07:06:30 pm »
New joystick designs unveiled at game expo, should be available by Augist-ish.
Would make this a perfect vintage console all-in-one. I have an N64 and a SNES on the table, would be nice to get rid of one or both, at least off the table.

Oh and Pitfall II works perfectly as far as I can see. I don't think they just put an arduino in this thing. Not sure if N64 games work or not, but if it will emulate arcade okay, why not n64