Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRT Emudriver + WIN10 + Radeon X1550  (Read 1750 times)

javiso85@gmail.com

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 03:31:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
CRT Emudriver + WIN10 + Radeon X1550
« on: October 27, 2023, 08:24:27 am »
Hi have a pc with windows 10 and I installed and old PCIe Radeon X1550, after the clean installation, I try to install the CRTemudriver, but it do not detect the card.

Why CRT emudriver don't detect the card.

I have searched for the old 1.2b driver but the 64bit version does not admit the x1550, only the 32bit driver version of 1.2b

May be this card is not compatible with CRT emudriver 2.0?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: CRT Emudriver + WIN10 + Radeon X1550
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 01:34:27 pm »
In the Windows world, video cards and Windows versions are linked.

The X1150 is a DirectX 9 card, this means it's a Windows XP card.

If you want to use that card, you'll need to install Windows XP, and use CRT Emudriver for Windows XP (check first if the card was actually supported).

Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

javiso85@gmail.com

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 04:52:05 pm »
Many thanks Calamity,

So I will install windows xp32 bit and install 1.2b drivers to test the VGA.

I wanted to use this card on WIN10 because I have problems with the HD6970 and the 640x480i because is out of vertical sync, I posted here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,168018.0.html

I am renewing my old pc with QuadCore because I can not run 3D games like, radikal bikers, rave racer, tekken, etc... And I am not getting good results. I have buyed a Radeon 5450 like on your tutorial to test it on WIN10

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 06:33:53 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2023, 05:15:32 am »
I think it would be very unusual for CRT_emulator+win10+HD6970 to not work with your Hantarex because of sync. Especially if you are getting a picture otherwise.

Just read your other post, and also the one from 2010 that one links to.

Think your solution is already there:

Here's what KenLayton says on another forum:

"Hantarex monitors are very particular about how they like the sync signal. There are a couple of different versions of this monitor. If yours has the two seperate white header connectors the sync AND ground will go to the 3 pin connector (H sync and ground only will be connected to this connector). R-G-B will go to the usual 6 pin connector, but not the ground"

So I need to figure out which of the 3 is the H sync and ground.
Oh, now I understand. Thanks. I think the 3 pins are identical to the rightmost 3 of the 6. So they're the ground / Vsync / Hsync. I'll double check tonight.
For any one who comes upon this in the future, my problem was that my monitor is a weird variation of the 9110. R G and B go on the 6 pin section, and ground HSync and VSync go on the three pin. This is because the ArcadeVGA sends negative sync signals. If they were positive, they would all go on the 6 pin. As soon as I switched the my ground and syncs to the three pin, everything synced easily.

That's a real gift from the past as Ken has already passed :'(

If all that doesn't work, or you don't have the 3-pin connector, but you are outputting proper composite sync with CRTEMU, try shorting your Hsync to the Vsync pin. The Vsync period is much longer than the H, hopefully the monitor can work out the difference and lock onto it.
Check out my completed projects!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2023, 06:03:41 am »
Another idea is to just restrict mode generation to 60hz, or perhaps use the NTSC preset. Maybe the monitor is just very fussy.

javiso85@gmail.com

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2023, 07:00:57 pm »
Hi Zebidee;

Many thanks for answering.

Yes I have read the Ken solution, but my Hantarex does not have the three pin connector. So this in not the problem.

Also I have the video amplifier from ultimarc to raise the 1Volt rgb to 4V to an arcade monitor, so the H and V sync is already joined on the adapter.

I explain what thing has worked with the faulty sync. As the problem only apears on 640x480 resolution I have edited with Arcade_OSD the Horizontal Geometry, in this section I have changed the H pulse sync from 8 to 6, and saved the changes. It worked, I do not know what I am doing but it worked, now I have a stable image.

The problem was that It was very diffcult to the monitor to sync the image on 640x480, with the potentiometers was very hard to find the exact point and also once the image was sync it shakes a lot.

If someone has the same problem try to do the mod on the modeline. I repeat that I do not know that I did but it worked.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2023, 04:10:14 am »
Aha! Great news, and thanks for posting your solution. Now that makes a lot of sense. The surprising thing is that the default crt_range setting in monitor.ini didn't work! We like to assume the defaults to be "safe".

BTW, the value you changed (from 8 to 6) is not the Hsync pulse, but rather the backporch setting. The number before that (4.700) is the Hsync pulse width in milliseconds (4.7us), which is NTSC standard, so no need to adjust that usually.

You may also find some benefits from adjusting the frontporch, which is the number (default 2.000) before Hsyncpulse. Both front/backporch numbers will affect each other and where the picture sits on screen (if at all!).

By coincidence, I've just spent my morning trimming these frontporch/backporch numbers for the component-modded CRT TV + GreenAntz in my Aussie lowboy cab. I've managed to get it looking perfect, or as close as reasonably possible. (FWIW, I've been using 720x480i as my desktop resolution (and also for Attract-Mode frontend) for a while now. I know, 640x480 is 4:3, and maybe it is just a TV thing, but to me the extra pixels make it look crispier and makes sense anyway as NTSC is 720x480i already).

Instead of using Arcade_OSD to trim everything, like you've done for 640x480, you can edit the presets in monitor.ini and re-generate/re-install the complete set of video modelines. That way the sync/geometry changes affect everything automatically. Apparently you can do it all with Arcade_OSD too, by editing the one modeline and then cut-and-paste for the rest, but I've never done it that way myself. I think it makes more sense to edit the presets directly so the adjustments apply to everything. Anyway, you can now do that too as you know the right values (approximately) now.

For a complete breakdown of what the crt_range/monitor.ini/presets numbers mean, check out this thread where Calamity explains all.

When you've done sorting it out, you might want to post your Hantarex results there.

Hi Zebidee;

Many thanks for answering.

Yes I have read the Ken solution, but my Hantarex does not have the three pin connector. So this in not the problem.

Also I have the video amplifier from ultimarc to raise the 1Volt rgb to 4V to an arcade monitor, so the H and V sync is already joined on the adapter.

I explain what thing has worked with the faulty sync. As the problem only apears on 640x480 resolution I have edited with Arcade_OSD the Horizontal Geometry, in this section I have changed the H pulse sync from 8 to 6, and saved the changes. It worked, I do not know what I am doing but it worked, now I have a stable image.

The problem was that It was very diffcult to the monitor to sync the image on 640x480, with the potentiometers was very hard to find the exact point and also once the image was sync it shakes a lot.

If someone has the same problem try to do the mod on the modeline. I repeat that I do not know that I did but it worked.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 04:11:56 am by Zebidee »

javiso85@gmail.com

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2023, 06:34:57 pm »
I was very sure that I changed the the H sync pulse, but is possible that I were wrong, because I do not know what I am doing, it is just try an error.

I have read the post of Calamity that you linked, but it dos not explain wait is each parameter and their function.

Maybe the arcade monitor does not support as well as a consumer TV the standart NTSC 4.7us

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2023, 11:21:11 pm »
I have read the post of Calamity that you linked, but it dos not explain wait is each parameter and their function.

The format & brief explanation of the parameters is right at the top of the post, in blue.

Here's that link again so you don't have to scroll up

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,116023.0.html

javiso85@gmail.com

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2023, 06:39:03 pm »
Many thanks Zebidee