Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Teenage Mutant ninja Turtles 1980s arcade game with CRT (sound problem)  (Read 1360 times)

coskydoodle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2023, 03:07:25 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I have had this arcade for 30 years or more but stored it in my dry barn for last 10 years. Now its time to move it on as my kids are now  36 and 40 years old.
I am a TV engineer by trade so used a rheostat to bring the mains up from zero in stage of an hour up to 240 volt a/c (we are in Cornwall UK)

Surprisingly everything was fine. Brilliant picture on the CRT and great graphics and it functions fine.
However the sound goes distorted and low volume after just 5 minutes and seems to pulse in time with the flashing coin lights on the front.
So I replaced the +5/-5 +12 power module and carefully set it up but its exactly the same.
Checked all the electrolytic caps with an ESR meter and they seem ok

Tried a can of freezer on most components once the sound distortion stats but no difference

Any help appreciated...just wondering if its the tantalum 4.6uf 16v caps faulty, but they too check out ok on ESR meter.

The audio output of  it is always fine with plenty of clear mains hum if I hold the metal shaft of a small screwdriver and touch the volume control

coskydoodle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2023, 03:07:25 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Teenage Mutant ninja Turtles 1980s arcade game with CRT (sound problem)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 04:21:30 am »
Guess not many people have had any experiences with TMNT games then? :(

JimmyU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2024, 11:45:32 pm
  • I believe I can fly!
Re: Teenage Mutant ninja Turtles 1980s arcade game with CRT (sound problem)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 04:07:17 pm »
I found this for you. Konami had a lot of problems with their sound boards.
https://www.aussiearcade.com/topic/94407-konami-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-sound-issues-fix/