Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Daytona Championship USA - GameSettings.ini values for Game Length?  (Read 1435 times)

DJ_Izumi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 04:19:22 pm
So I read online that in GameSettings.ini, under [Game SEttings] if you set 'Game Length' to 'Very Long' you get the most possible laps online.  This is apparently not 100% accurate as it only applies to the easy tracks.  There seems to be another value in GameSettings.ini to extend the game length of Advanced and Expert.  As you can see on this screenshot of my legit Daytona Championship Arcade machine the beginner tracks are extended to 14 laps but advanced and expert remain at their default.  There appears to be a seperate value.  Also wow, maximum 14 laps on the beginner tracks?  You could set that to 80 in the original game.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Re: Daytona Championship USA - GameSettings.ini values for Game Length?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 06:13:55 pm »
You've actually increased the default number of laps on the Advanced stages there. Although 4 is the normal amount in the regular Model 2 version, it normally defaults to 3 laps in Championship USA (and just 1 on the Expert stages).

Also, wow, had no idea you could run this on Steam Deck. Impressive.

DJ_Izumi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 10:41:51 am »
You've actually increased the default number of laps on the Advanced stages there. Although 4 is the normal amount in the regular Model 2 version, it normally defaults to 3 laps in Championship USA (and just 1 on the Expert stages).

Also, wow, had no idea you could run this on Steam Deck. Impressive.

*looks up a quick YouTube video*

Oh darn, you're right, the increase is just so small I was sure it had not changed.  Uhh, wow thats short.  I mean obviously fine for a typical arcade setup but I obviously was looking for longer races for those long days of Dayton USA on a train or an airplane. 

And ha ha, yup.  Runs on Steam Deck.  Had to bring down the shadow ammount a looot to like 512?  Though the Daytona Speedway track down the straighaway has so many objects on screen the FPS drops to around 55.  Other than resolution and dynamic shadow resolution, would love to hear any other suggestions to bring up performance/reduce processor load.  I really wish the Daytona USA port that came to Xbox 360 and PS3 had also come to Steam, a native PC port would be low power and amazing.  You can emulate a 360 but oof, that's demanding on a battery operated device.  Also been experimenting with emulating the Dreamcast port, since it has a lot of extras, can be emulated reasonably low powered enough, patched for widescreen, and has handy console things like a pause button.  I found that the ability to carefully adjust the input curve on the Steam Deck's analog stick input gives you a level of tweaking that makes the Dreamcast port more playable.

Somewhat related: Outrun 2006 C2C PC port runs like butter on the Steam Deck. :)

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 02:42:08 pm »
Can't you just use Model 2 Emulator on it to run Daytona? That would be a lot less hardware intensive than trying to emulate an Xbox 360.

DJ_Izumi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 04:18:07 pm »
Can't you just use Model 2 Emulator on it to run Daytona? That would be a lot less hardware intensive than trying to emulate an Xbox 360.

That's an option yeah and it'd be fairly low power.  I used to run that emulator on an Athlon 64 3200+ even.  And AFAIK that emulator does have a pause functionality.

My point was more that a PC port of the 2012 release would be kinda 'ideal' in that it's very 'Daytona' but has all of the 'game system niceties' that'd fit with handheld play of Daytona USA.  But right now I'm leaning towards tweaking the Dreamcast emulation's inputs and it just has more track options to stave off boredom.

That said, gosh Daytona 2017 is fun too.