Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New release Atari 800XL  (Read 1602 times)

Zakk

• Gosh, that's a real nice... ooh look, a penny! -- That Zakk is Just Mean
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2024, 01:32:21 am
New release Atari 800XL
« on: October 04, 2023, 07:27:15 pm »
Would these count as a console??

Anyone else kind of excited for this release? https://revive-machines.com/index-en.html

I've still got an atari 800xl set up in the game room, I use a multi cart with it, but damn, it's is TOUGH converting the old signal to modern TVs, If I recall correctly I have at least one but likely two converters and the picture still looks like crap. I gotta admit getting a virtual pinball table has re-energized the gaming sessions, with the kids leaning towards the snes and the N64, but I think I can sucker some of them into some old skool atari if the picture output is pristine. Not sure when these are actually going to see the market, but hey nostalgia is nostalgia so I thought it might be worth a post. Oh and for anyone who MAY have been an 8-bit kid....this book looks fantastic (and just in time for Christmas) https://www.greyfoxbooks.com/product/the-atari-a-visual-history/

I don't work for either company, just a fan-level post. Cheers!!
Back for nostalgia, based on nostalgia.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:55:16 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
Re: New release Atari 800XL
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 08:29:04 pm »
I don't know much about the Atari 800 , but I love there are these retro releases. Not in the same league, but I bought a mini C64 recently. Here it is attached to a mini monitor 🙂

Hmmmm, can't attach. I'll try again later.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 08:35:34 pm by danny_galaga »

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 02:15:57 am »
I don't know much about the Atari 800 , but I love there are these retro releases. Not in the same league, but I bought a mini C64 recently. Here it is attached to a mini monitor 🙂

Hmmmm, can't attach. I'll try again later.

Hey Danny!

In our day, there was a split between the Commodore kids and the Atari kids. Each would make fun of the other, but in retrospect, we were both missing out on games that were only on one platform or another. I've sort of avoided the retro releases for the most part, but this one seems like a legit piece of hardware. "Atari" is re-releasing the 2600 I believe shortly, so I hope that doesn't interfere with this...Atariage has yanked down all their roms, so that doesn't bode well. It always goes south when someone wants to make a buck.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2023, 09:02:46 am »
In highschool we had Apple lle's . I wasn't really aware of any rivalry. I didnt know enough people with computers. A few had vic20's, one or two  C64 's and one of my richer friends had an Apple lle. An Apple was worth more than the car my dad was driving. We was po'...

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2023, 11:11:46 am »
In highschool we had Apple lle's . I wasn't really aware of any rivalry. I didnt know enough people with computers. A few had vic20's, one or two  C64 's and one of my richer friends had an Apple lle. An Apple was worth more than the car my dad was driving. We was po'...

I didn't know anyone with an apple, I knew OF the apple, but yeah I think it was $$. I remember the atari store guy (who had first sold us all our 2600 stuff, then expanded into the computers) telling us how many of the games on the apple were on the Atari, and I believe we went home with caverns of mars and castle wolfenstein (which I played until my eyes bled). School wise, There was a huge pirate ring where some guys had an archiver chip, and other guys had a 'happy' chip. I knew one of each, from 2 different schools, so my grift was doing the legwork and getting games from each, and trading them off for new games, so without a pirate setup, I was the guy with ALL the games, yet I never actually cracked any of them myself. Even the local atari users group who was mainly old men, had a 'secret' list of pirated games, I mean EVERYONE pirated games, which was why EVERY game had copy protection. This was 82-85ish, when I really discovered girls....I missed all of the NES and the SNES and didn't jump back into gaming until PC games were coming along (LHX and wolfenstein 3d come to mind). It really was a special time. The vic 20 was never a thing at all around here, which I think is why a lot of people never went to the C64 (the vic games were terrible). In hindsight I've really gotten an appreciation for the C64, I'd like to dig into games on it some day that weren't available on the atari.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 01:56:13 am »
Yeah Castle Wolfenstein on Apple Il was da bomb. SCHWEINHUND!!!

Like you, I missed a lot of stuff from mid 80's until I discovered Age of Empires. So I sometimes feel like a bit of a pretender. But I'm having fun catching up to stuff I missed out on the first time around. When I get my act together, I think the C64 is what I'll play around with the most. Mebbe learn more than HELLO WORLD 😄

That Atari looks good though. Hope it turns out as advertised

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 11:41:46 am »
Yeah Castle Wolfenstein on Apple Il was da bomb. SCHWEINHUND!!!

Like you, I missed a lot of stuff from mid 80's until I discovered Age of Empires. So I sometimes feel like a bit of a pretender. But I'm having fun catching up to stuff I missed out on the first time around. When I get my act together, I think the C64 is what I'll play around with the most. Mebbe learn more than HELLO WORLD 😄

That Atari looks good though. Hope it turns out as advertised
Lol, I was brutal to those guards. ALWAYS held them up first and THEN executed them. But it was okay, they were bad guys.
I really might try to find a list of games that was ONLY on the C64 and not ported, which a LOT were. I'm sure I'm missing some jems. Seven cities of gold by electronic arts was literally spanish conquest and colonialism...imagine a game like that coming out today, but it was legit fun 'in the day'. Either pacify the natives with beads and malaria, or be sure you have enough dudes to slaughter them all. IMAGINE that being an EA game. I should do a mockup ad for that game and see how long it takes for EA to send cease and desist orders to youtube :)

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2023, 08:55:49 pm »
in my school c64 was king.
i knew one person with an atari with the membrane keyboard.
don't remember if it was 400 or 800.
nobody used it though by late 80's.

i bought an 800XL a little while back along with a multi-cart and then got a fuji-net because my janky SIO cord i used to try and transfer a game didn't work all the time.
the fuji cost me more than the atari. lol.

it's a cool device.
uses the internet to load games.
i also plug into a crt tv. i have a few.
a 19" with composite is just fine for me on a tv with a curved tube.
that's what i used for my c64 and it was just fine for me back then.
doesn't take up much space either.

i wish i bought the remade vic20 with the working keyboard when it was everywhere.

forgot to mention i think this is very cool if it really does work with original Atari peripherals.
there are still a lot of people out there playing games off floppy disk.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 09:45:22 pm by nitrogen_widget »