Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: RPI 5 now at pre-sale. today.  (Read 2394 times)

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
RPI 5 now at pre-sale. today.
« on: September 28, 2023, 09:15:52 pm »
so no onboard mass storage module (i forget what it's called) but reported to be twice as fast as an rpi4.
4gb model $60
8gb module $80

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2024, 03:09:00 am
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
Re: RPI 5 now at pre-sale. today.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 04:21:46 am »
You meant onboard eMMC ? Yeah, pity the Pi is still not compatible with that kind of storage.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:54:30 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 12:30:39 pm »
i think pi has lost focus as to what it was originally really designed to be.

a super cheap, throw away computer... that teaches about computer sciences and programming in schools. if a kid fried one... who cares. chuck it and give him a new one... he learned a lesson.

the pi as it is now...it is no longer that.

i mean, i get that the Pi zeros and picos is still super cheap... but how long before they get as bloated as the pi5 and starts costing 50 or 100 bucks? already hovering at close to 20 now with the zero2w and its due for another release soon... the OG pi only took 2 releases to hit 80 bucks

i also get that what pis are currently used for has gone far beyond what pi foundation had expected and they have altered their product line to reflect what the people are looking for, which is great! i mean, we don't get that from a lot of companies these days.

but i also get that for 80 bucks you could damn near buy a REAL computer and not a crippled down version of one.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:38:27 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 12:37:24 pm »
You know the drill....

Does it play Gauntlet Legends 100%??

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 04:05:46 pm »
if i'm paying 80 bones for it... i wanna know if it will play crysis.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:12:57 am
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 05:59:32 pm »
but i also get that for 80 bucks you could damn near buy a REAL computer and not a crippled down version of one.

You can find HP EliteDesk desktops on eBay for $100 shipped.  Listed as  i5-6500 16GB RAM 500GB HD Win10 Pro

No idea why anyone would pay $80 for a Pi when you can get a hell of a lot more for essentially the same price.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2023, 02:47:25 am »
 :laugh2:
You know the drill....

Does it play Gauntlet Legends 100%??

I would love for it to have enough go to run Star Wars and Major Havoc at full speed on AdvanceMame.
The Pi4 still gags on those and I can't do anything to fix it.
I will forever be software and coding stupid so I need people smarter than me to write disc images for stuff.
Huge fan of mame mind you, but man is the configuration thing painful for for an ignoramus like me.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2023, 12:00:21 pm »

a super cheap, throw away computer... that teaches about computer sciences and programming in schools. if a kid fried one... who cares. chuck it and give him a new one... he learned a lesson.

the pi as it is now...it is no longer that.

i mean, i get that the Pi zeros and picos is still super cheap... but how long before they get as bloated as the pi5 and starts costing 50 or 100 bucks? already hovering at close to 20 now with the zero2w and its due for another release soon... the OG pi only took 2 releases to hit 80 bucks

i also get that what pis are currently used for has gone far beyond what pi foundation had expected and they have altered their product line to reflect what the people are looking for, which is great! i mean, we don't get that from a lot of companies these days.

you can't get one for the supposed price because they dedicate a large number of the production to companies that use the rpi in commercial products.
then retailers buy up the rest and jack up the price because "shortage".
hence pre-sale the same price as an rpi4.
which after pre-sale price will get jacked up again.

meanwhile the orange pi people are pumping out boards with eMMC (Thanks substring!) without too much of a supply issue it seems and cheaper.
which is increasing support because they are easier to get.

rpi started out with good intentions and delivered for a bit but now there are so many clones on the market plus quad core thin clients and old mini PC's with more power are just  so inexpensive.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2023, 10:40:03 am »

100% agree. why tffffffffffff would I get this when odroid n2+ is basically the best sbc for my $ and I can get it right now. for $60 I can easily get a better computer(dell or whatever) and run batocera.

and.......orange pi pc is really good for the $. couple of years ago i was buying them for $23 shippe WITH power supply and case thats just insane. ran retropie and it played all the old games and everything.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 10:42:35 am by SNAAKE »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:38:27 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2023, 02:18:36 pm »
And for $45 shipped I was buying some Arcade Legends Mini that was a solid single player joystick and came with a hockey puck emulation box that was reasonably easy to add games to.  If you connected via USB the control lag issues disappeared.  It would be flat out impossible to build that setup for less than double what I paid.

It’s a fantastic time to play ---smurfy--- old video games.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2023, 03:59:47 am »
If I could get the vector fork of Advancemame to run on a PC then I wouldn't even consider a Pi.

They frustrate the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- out of me to begin with and up to and including the Pi4 can still only run a few games I really want to play pretty half-assed.
I want my vector games full-assed.
I'm talking like Kelly Lebrock bitd kinda full-assed.

If there is a new PC that includes an ssd that can be had for less than $150 that will run even mame .106 vector games full speed then somebody please post a link because I would buy two right now.

Otherwise a Pi5 may be in my future.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2023, 09:07:23 pm »
If I could get the vector fork of Advancemame to run on a PC then I wouldn't even consider a Pi.

They frustrate the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- out of me to begin with and up to and including the Pi4 can still only run a few games I really want to play pretty half-assed.

If there is a new PC that includes an ssd that can be had for less than $150 that will run even mame .106 vector games full speed then somebody please post a link because I would buy two right now.

what are we talking cpu wise for that?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2023, 06:40:35 pm »

what are we talking cpu wise for that?

literally, RPi 4 geekbench score with maximum overclocking possible (2 GHz) is close to Intel Celeron N4000. for single-threaded performance it's close to Intel Celeron N3050.

so i dunno... any turd?

if you must know... any cpu with a benchmark score over 1425... which is... a lot.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+N4000+%40+1.10GHz&id=3239

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2023, 09:01:19 pm »
so $50 i3 motherboard with cpu, cooler, and 8gb of ram.

if you don't have a psu or old ssd a little more but it'll be twice as fast but bulkier.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2023, 03:39:19 pm »
pretty much. i've thrown away computers more capable than a pi.

if you require it to be small form factor.. go pi... but if size isn't a constraint... you cant beat an actual computer in terms of power to price.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2023, 03:15:20 am »
What is really stupid is that for me it isn't even size limitations as this is stuff going into full size cabinets.
Presently it is just these vector machines that are making me nuts but I haven't ventured into any other realm with a Pi since I am failing thus far.

I need to spend some time with a PC and see if I can make AdvanceMame run on one.

And I would say that I would just stick with a Pi for vector emulation if the 5 is fast enough but I continue to have control configuration issues even for the games that do appear to run full speed.

There may be a certain class of games that the Pi is juicy enough for, but it certainly can't handle everything you can think of and I know some people have success with them but I am not getting any love.

pretty much. i've thrown away computers more capable than a pi.

if you require it to be small form factor.. go pi... but if size isn't a constraint... you cant beat an actual computer in terms of power to price.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2023, 01:51:17 pm »
Does the new RPi5 have an atx style shutdown built in?