Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 360 degree wheel DIY  (Read 1261 times)

trick72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 03:20:55 am
360 degree wheel DIY
« on: September 22, 2023, 12:01:18 pm »
Hi,
I want to build a smaller cabinet with a 360 degree spinning wheel to play the 360 degree race games and the Sega Monaco GP remake which seems fantastic. I search the forum for some tips on how to get a 360 wheel but I can't find much recent information. The last build thread was from 2019 and unfinished. I realise this is some kind of a niche. I have a big 2 player arcade race cabinet with Logitech g27 wheels but I would like a smaller one player cabinet in the line of the old Outrun or Monaco GP where you stand in front of it with a gas/brake pedal at the bottom of the cab and a spinning 360 degree wheel.
I have an Ultimarc spintrack laying around. Would it be possible to convert this into a wheel? I know there are tiny add-on wheels available but they are only 7" and I'm looking for something with the size of the original arcade wheels.
Anyone any tips or did anyone try to fit a bigger (maybe plastic) wheel to such a spinner? I would really appreciate and feedback.
Thanks

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:01:29 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: 360 degree wheel DIY
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 06:02:05 pm »
The last build thread was from 2019 and unfinished.
If you're talking about this thread, there's a lot of good info in there.

I have an Ultimarc spintrack laying around. Would it be possible to convert this into a wheel? I know there are tiny add-on wheels available but they are only 7" and I'm looking for something with the size of the original arcade wheels.
The reason they don't sell larger wheels that connect directly to the spinner is the larger the wheel, the more off-axis leverage you can generate.  Too much off-axis leverage will bend the spinner's shaft.

To keep the off-axis leverage from bending the spinner shaft, use pillow bearings and a frame to hold a heavy-enough shaft + wheel like Howard did here.
- The larger the wheel diameter, the further apart you need to place the pillow bearings.

You may find it easier to mount pillow bearings like these on a flat board rather than the type that Howard mounted on an "F" frame.

If you're not very good at woodworking, maybe use some 2020 (or similar) aluminum extrusion rails/brackets/T-slot nuts for the frame.

To connect the SpinTrak to the shaft, you'll need a shaft coupler.

You'll also need a bracket to hold the body of the SpinTrak.

Scott

trick72

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 03:20:55 am
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 07:54:49 am »
Thanks. Very good info. Really appreciated.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:37:41 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2023, 08:49:03 am »
One thing to keep in mind for the wheel is that on 360 degree games there is no center, so you do not want a wheel that gives any impression of which way it should be held to be centered.

If not trying to find a used arcade one and you have the means to fabricate the shaft, what you are probably going to want is a 10" three spoke go-kart steering wheel.  Make sure the spokes are evenly spaced.
It has just a little bit more weight than an original arcade wheel, but the size and appearance are perfect IMO.
https://www.amazon.com/Maxpower-5890-10-Inch-Steering-Go-karts/dp/B005FMT2RA (pic sucks, but the reviews have better pictures)

I don't remember what game it is from, but I bought an original used arcade setup without the wheel and it just used a bronze bushing.  I'd probably go for bearings, but that is what the original used.
The original arcade mounting screws fit the pattern on this wheel.
There are also deeper 5" dish versions.

If you'd rather stick with lightweight plastic stuff, these playground wheels might work: https://www.amazon.com/Playground-Steering-Wheel-Portable-Swingset/dp/B08KTJMTPG?th=1

Or if you're into 3D printing, print your own: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5350668/files (scale to desired size.  The print is for half a wheel.  Print two and glue together.)

A wheel with a defined orientation isn't a deal breaker, but isn't optimal IMO.
The original pole position game had a wheel with a definite up and down despite the car resetting the center position every time and requiring you to hold the wheel at whatever angle it was at when you wrecked.  That feels wrong to me, but that's how it was.

Long live Ivan Stewarts Super Offroad!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:01:29 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2023, 06:41:32 pm »
One other thing I forgot to mention.

If you have a Tractor Supply location near you, you may want to check there for steering wheels, shafts, pillow blocks/bearings, etc.

Scott

JIMYZ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 12:55:19 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2023, 12:54:06 am »
keep looking for a Pole Position or Chase H.Q steering wheel set up, you can use either an Ultimarc spintrak or the U-hid nano you will have to use the Red opi board from a trackball, also I've used the GRS USB spinner they have cheap light weight steering wheels on cheap-bay I believe would work. GRS also has a steering wheel made for the spinner BUT.... it's a smaller one. I believe the GRS usb spinner is adjustable as for rotation

TacticalChaos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 02:36:46 am
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2024, 02:36:46 am »