Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Lines cutting  (Read 2237 times)

jteexy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 11:51:34 am
Lines cutting
« on: September 22, 2023, 08:47:57 am »
What is the best way to go about cutting MDF where two pieces of the cab share the same line (such as in Lusid's Plans)? I don't want pieces to be 1/16th off when I go to put it together

RobodocX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 05:22:54 pm
  • Looking to help with woodworking questions.
Re: Lines cutting
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 11:31:05 pm »
I think the reason you aren't getting any replies is that your question is too general. To provide help we need to better understand what tools you have available to you. The "best" way to cut MDf would be with a large CNC machine and a vac table or perhaps a sliding table saw but of course most people don't have easy access to those tools. Likewise, a good quality tracksaw does a very nice job as well even for long pieces. If you can provide some info as to what tools you have for cutting MDF sheets we can provide better guidance. Do you have a tablesaw with a fence? Do you have a circular saw that could be guided with an inexpensive straight edge? Generally those approaches are going to give you a better result than an unguided options like a jigsaw.
Richard

Woodworker and computer builder.
Traditional, digital design, CNC and laser techniques. Always happy to help if I can.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:19:46 am
  • Just because.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2023, 03:42:30 am »
You misunderstood the question. It's not about which tool to use, it's about where to cut.
He's got a plan like this:

Now the question is whether the line is part of the board to cut or not. If it's part of the board, you would cut close to the line, leaving it intact. However, if you cut like this, cutting out board A would remove the thickness of your sawblade + the thickness of the line from board B.
So the answer to his question is to cut on the line, thereby removing equal parts from board A and board B.

However, this is probably moot because the OP didn't bother to log in for 6 days.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 06:33:53 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 05:40:49 am »
Add the width of the saw's teeth or blades to your cutting measurements, to allow for "wastage".
Check out my completed projects!

RobodocX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 05:22:54 pm
  • Looking to help with woodworking questions.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2023, 08:21:25 pm »
Ok. Well figuring out that would simply require looking at the whole plan and doing whatever you chose to do symmetrically. This is wood we are talking about here so the issue of the saw kerf is likely not a big deal provided you do the same thing to each side. Given that many table saw blades are 1/8", and that is the likely largest kerf you are going to be making, you are talking at most about building a box 1/8 inch larger or smaller than the plan defines. If there are critical tolerances in a standup cabinet less than 1/8" I would be surprised. However, that should be pretty evident from the whole plan.
Richard

Woodworker and computer builder.
Traditional, digital design, CNC and laser techniques. Always happy to help if I can.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:54:30 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2023, 05:35:39 pm »
i mean, when it comes to cutting wood (plan or no plan) you don't lay it out in pencil on the wood like it is in the picture and go ham... it's laid out like that to show you how it can all fit on a sheet. it's up to you to look and see "oh i need a 24 7/8" x 22 1/2" piece" and so you cut that off your material. "next I need a 19" x 19 1/2" piece" and so you cut that off your material that's left.

one does not turn a 24x12 piece into two 12x12 pieces with a saw. you end up with a 12x12 piece and a 11 7/8" piece.