Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade1Up - Time Crisis Cabinet  (Read 1552 times)

MrThunderwing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Arcade1Up - Time Crisis Cabinet
« on: August 24, 2023, 12:20:37 pm »
Arcade1Up Time Crisis.

If I had the space, this would be pretty damn tempting, especially if it's got proper Namco GunCom stylee clacky-clack solenoid recoil guns. The selection of games is a tad anaemic though. Never heard of Steel Gunner before. You'da thunk for nearly 800 bucks they could've put some more Point Blank games on there (absolutely loved them on the PS1) and maybe Time Crisis 2 and/or Ghoul Panic.

Some Time Crisis 3 and Crisis Zone would've been nice too. They ran on slightly more powerful hardware - the Namco System 246 - an arcade board based on PlayStation 2 technology, so not especially powerful by today's standards so wouldn't have thought they'd be that difficult to add I'd have thought...? (and, FYI, the System 246's recently been made playable in an emulator called Play! Haven't actually tired it myself though...).

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
Re: Arcade1Up - Time Crisis Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 02:31:57 pm »
moddable? thats a nice gun game setup if I can put a pc in there lol

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2024, 03:37:41 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 04:26:10 pm »
moddable? thats a nice gun game setup if I can put a pc in there lol
I was curious what type of gun setup they were using so I looked into it.

From what I gather after a little searching they use gun tech licensed from Sinden, but with custom firmware that prevents them from being used on a PC. 

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:29:24 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2023, 02:43:54 pm »
I'll be interested to see how accurately the guns work at 3 inches away from the screen and how well-built the pedal is.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 02:28:16 pm »
$750 and they cant put a bigger monitor in there  :dunno

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:29:24 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 11:16:00 am »
The distance is wrong. All the Time Crisis cabs are designed to put your gun at least a foot or two away from the screen.

*edit* I see that you can move the pedal away from the cab to get more distance, so yeah I guess that's going to be necessary.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 11:25:25 am by KenToad »

Tarma

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2023, 05:50:06 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2023, 08:43:39 pm »
A small screen that gets split in half for 2 players in Time Crisis? And then player 2 has to use a button on the gun to duck in and out of cover??

I'll be interested to see an actual play video with 2 people. There are a bunch of videos on YouTube of game reviewers showing these off already but all in solo play. I watched a couple and no one mentioned how that was going to work...

It would be fine for the other 3 games, Point Blank and Steel Gunner 1-2 because you share the screen.

Falken Hawke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2024, 12:38:26 pm
  • Professional Employee
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2023, 09:51:56 pm »
A small screen that gets split in half for 2 players in Time Crisis? And then player 2 has to use a button on the gun to duck in and out of cover??
Time Crisis is single player only.  Others are dual screen except Crisis Zone which is actually why I won't be getting this...  Two titles in this franchise are single player and they only include one?  Then they add another franchise  that is in no way similar to Time Crisis?  At least Point Blank is fun and uses an optical gun.  Steel Gunner is a "mouse" game.

Tarma

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2023, 05:50:06 pm
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2023, 04:57:59 pm »
Doh! I was thinking of Time Crisis 2...thanks Falken Hawke.

And I agree it is a weird mix of games. Point Blank is great but Steel Gunner 1-2 are like Operation Wolf where you just hold the trigger down and fire away so you really want that full-auto feeling.

But from videos like this where they take the guns apart you'll see they are manually / spring operated and only “click” when the trigger is pulled (there is no solenoid) so Steel Gunner will be an exercise in dragging a crosshair around – like you said a “mouse” game.

I think they should have gone with all 2 player games that don't use autofire or the crosshairs; maybe House of the Dead as the lead title and Point Blank 3 and Lethal Enforcers 1-2 as the extras.

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2023, 03:30:38 pm »
Self actuating recoil is like...the most ridiculous thing they could've done