Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Which guns for a Windows cabinet (with Mame)?  (Read 1410 times)

harri

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2024, 06:14:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Which guns for a Windows cabinet (with Mame)?
« on: August 08, 2023, 12:02:31 pm »
The title pretty much says it. I'm planning on an arcade cabinet that will house two guns at some point, it will be Windows based and I'm running Mame on it but that can be changed if there is some sort of specialized emulator to run light gun games.

And actually, the exact guns don't interest me most at this point but where I do need to put the sensors and how much space I need to reserve for them between the monitor and the cabinet. Do I need to leave the space on sides or on top and bottom of the TV that will work as a display?

MoonPatrol76

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 03:04:21 pm
Re: Which guns for a Windows cabinet (with Mame)?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 06:35:16 am »
I am using the Gun4IR system on my MAME Cab. You need to put 3 little IR leds in the middle of the 4 sides of the monitor. You can glue/ put them directly on the border of the monitor, no need to leave space. Works like a charm. Don't know about other systems :-/

harri

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2023, 07:06:46 am »
Gun4IR seems good but complete package is sold out and I don't know how far my DIY skills carry in the world of lightguns. Well, that'll be a problem when I get there, now I only have to leave little space between borders and the screen.

MoonPatrol76

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 03:04:21 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 03:39:39 am »
I am not very skilled in electronoics. but building a Gun4IR System is really easy. You just need the IR Camera, a compatible Arduino board, the software, 12 IR leds and a gun where you have enough space to put all in.
Just look at some YT videos about building a gun4ir system. It's really easy and works like a charm with MAME.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:56:11 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 12:27:02 pm »
If you are not DIY skilled with building your own Gun4IR system, there are some people that sell completed packages - but they're expensive.  ($400 US per gun is what I've seen). 

Personally, I use Sinden guns on my cabinets (Windows).   Overall, I'm happy with them.   Little tweaky to get working at first, but afterward the initial learning curve, they've been great. 

I am interested in Gun4IR guns, but I've got too many other projects going on right now. 

purbeast

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:14:50 am
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 06:55:44 pm »
Does your cabinet have a CRT or LCD?

harri

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2023, 10:12:23 am »
If you are not DIY skilled with building your own Gun4IR system,

I don't know how easy it's to get a shell that looks like a gun, especially after the electronics has been added. It's easy to get it work but it's not easy to get it look like it's not DIY. I think.

Does your cabinet have a CRT or LCD?

LCD.