Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Megatouch XL Countertop Fixup  (Read 1735 times)

mourix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2024, 10:53:16 am
Megatouch XL Countertop Fixup
« on: July 16, 2023, 01:24:10 pm »
After a big move and work stuff, I am slowly getting back on this forum :afro: Saw this non-working bartop Megatouch XL Platimum for 50 euros and couldn't resist. It's not working and sold by some guy who gave up on it. The original symptoms were nothing on screen and a repeating popping sound from the speaker. I did spot some cables being loose but nothing stopped the pops.

By moving and pushing around the cards and cables around I did get it to boot partly on some occasions. That was hopeful. So I set out to disassemble thing thing and OH MY GAWD THESE BOLTS ARE ON TIGHT and non-metric. After lots of angry cussing I broke a decoupling cap on the audio codec. The values are in the codec's datasheet so that should be a quick fix. For now i just cut it out.

Not giving up though, I cleaned it all up. That was a mess. Got rid of all the dust, cleaned all edge connectors with IPA and put fresh thermal paste on the CPU.

That leaves me with a Megatouch XL that boots to the security dongle check reliably, but somehow enters a black screen right after the sequence shown below..

So now to the questions... Does anyone know why the program freezes at this point? I tried the megatouch XL 6000 emulation in mame and the game starts up there right after the key screen.

Maybe the software is bad? I did order a CF to IDE module. Now if someone can point me to that keyless titanium image... :timebomb:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 04:00:10 pm by mourix »

mourix

• Offline Offline
Re: Megatouch XL Countertop Fixup
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 02:43:58 pm »
Welp, the problem was right in front of me the whole time. There is a 32MB RAM stick in the machine but it's not showing up fully. Mike on the Megatouch Players FB group knew it immediately.

Cleaning the RAM stick and trying the other slot changed nothing. Just ordered a bunch of 16 Megs FPM RAM sticks. Let's pray the issue is with the stick and not the motherboard ::)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 02:45:31 pm by mourix »

mourix

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 02:54:36 pm »
THE RAM FIXED IT

mourix

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 04:02:21 pm »
Now to add some stability and long term comfort it's handy to move to a keyless XL Titanium image CF card install. While at it you might want to replace the exhaust fans too as the original ones tend to be extremely loud.

To do this you need a very legal image of titanium that's floating around, a 1GB CF card, CF-IDE converter and a Molex to 4-pin floppy converter cable.

You can connect this converter board directly to the motherboard, but the fan cover shown here will make it impossible to close the back. Remove the back and fans to clean everything at least..

Now the originals are 40CFM Sunon ones. My replacement of choice is the Arctic P8 80mm. These are around 24 CFM but their static pressure optimized design ended up with very similar air output in this cramped cabinet with almost no noise.

Now there is some soldering action required to transplant the Merit fan connectors but it should look like this when done.

Now for the whole end result:

I'm really happy with this. Suddenly the CPU and PSU fans are louder than the exhaust. The Titanium image also has my language (Dutch) that the legit Platinum was missing.. I'll be playing a lot this weekend :cheers:

DrAlves

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2024, 08:23:28 pm
  • Megatouch Maxx Player and an Arcade Geek
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023, 05:54:11 pm »
Nice job!
5*****

mourix

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 06:57:19 pm »
There is a touch screen machines data/documentation preservation project going on in a famous FB group.

Of course I had to do my part:

After ripping this all open, it seems the machine lost sound this time. Pretty sure I have more connections to clean. Gotta love hobbies :cheers:

mourix

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2024, 02:07:20 pm »
False alarm. Just a reseat brought back sound.

Also, I sold my Sandisk Ultra II CF card to someone who had issues gettting one setup. Replaced mine with the following from Amazon and suddenly my games load twice as fast :o