Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Light gun calibration MAME  (Read 1105 times)

tangodownNZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2024, 09:59:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Light gun calibration MAME
« on: July 03, 2023, 04:27:23 am »
It looks like I need to be specific when asking light gun questions. Because there are many different light gun types out there.

I have a ghost squad light gun and sega boards connected to my pc via uhid.

I have found that the calibration is a bit off in opwolf.

My questions

- Is there a way to calibrate the gun in opwolf. I have tried pressing tab and going into the game service menu but couldn’t see anything.

- Is there a way to calibrate this type of gun in windows prior to MAME - A very clever person I know told me “I know enough that I know it can't be done in MAME or Windows directly. You need some other middleware software to scale and offset the the analog data before it's passed on to the emulator. I've heard that GlovePIE can do this but I've not ever tried myself”

- Is it better to set this gun up as a mouse instead of a lightgun in MAME
- Why do some people suggest deleting nvram and config files - why delete them, which files exactly and where are they

Thank you

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:01:29 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Light gun calibration MAME
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2023, 12:45:44 pm »
- Is there a way to calibrate the gun in opwolf. I have tried pressing tab and going into the game service menu but couldn’t see anything.
There is no calibration menu in Operation Wolf. (opwolf)
- IIRC the game used an optical light gun with the raster scan timing of the video signal, not a positional gun with potentiometers, so the optical sensor and raster scan timing confirmed where the gun was aimed -- no gun position calibration necessary.  Pretty sure that Mame simulates that process by calculating the raster scan timing that would result from the Mame-generated crosshair location and triggering the optical sensor line at the correct time.

- Why do some people suggest deleting nvram and config files - why delete them, which files exactly and where are they
Why delete them?  They may have gotten corrupted and/or Mame may have changed the information (variable names, options, etc.) stored in the cfg file.

Config files are found in the "..\mame\cfg\" folder.
- The config file for opwolf is "opwolf.cfg".

Nvram files are found in the "..\mame\nvram\[romname]\" folder.
- For example, the nvram file for Operation Wolf 3 is "..\mame\nvram\opwolf3\mk48t08"
- I don't see an nvram file for opwolf in MAMEUIFX v0.152. (I can also check it in mainline v0.254 if you like)
- Mame's files and filenames may have changed since the other thread you just posted in here from almost 20 years ago  :o  refers to testing the game in Mame v0.71 and 0.72.

Scott

tangodownNZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2024, 09:59:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Light gun calibration MAME
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 09:18:24 pm »
There is no calibration menu in Operation Wolf. (opwolf)
- IIRC the game used an optical light gun with the raster scan timing of the video signal, not a positional gun with potentiometers, so the optical sensor and raster scan timing confirmed where the gun was aimed -- no gun position calibration necessary.  Pretty sure that Mame simulates that process by calculating the raster scan timing that would result from the Mame-generated crosshair location and triggering the optical sensor line at the correct time.

Why delete them?  They may have gotten corrupted and/or Mame may have changed the information (variable names, options, etc.) stored in the cfg file.

Config files are found in the "..\mame\cfg\" folder.
- The config file for opwolf is "opwolf.cfg".

Nvram files are found in the "..\mame\nvram\[romname]\" folder.
- For example, the nvram file for Operation Wolf 3 is "..\mame\nvram\opwolf3\mk48t08"
- I don't see an nvram file for opwolf in MAMEUIFX v0.152. (I can also check it in mainline v0.254 if you like)
- Mame's files and filenames may have changed since the other thread you just posted in here from almost 20 years ago  :o  refers to testing the game in Mame v0.71 and 0.72.

Scott

No thats fine.

Thank you for that