Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wells Gardner 27K3003 or u3000 Vertical picture squished when going to 640 x 480  (Read 891 times)

shaunpurslow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2023, 01:33:31 am
Hello everyone,

I am hoping you can help me. I have a WG 27k3003 which I believe is also called a u3000 monitor.
I pulled it out of an old Nascar Arcade cabinet that was untested.
When I hook the VGA cable up to a Pandora 6 at an output of 384x224 at 15khz it displays a full picture. Although it's very dim and the text is all over the screen.
But then if I switch to a output of 640x480 the picture is super crisp and clear but the screen gets squished up in the middle.
I have tried adjusting all the pots on the chassis but nothing corrects it. I have included pictures of each resolution and hope that someone is kind enough to help me.
Thank you for your time,
Shaun

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:50:03 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
this monitor is 15k only. trying to force 31k (640x480) into it is very bad for it and you'll likely kill your HOT due to the stress.

you'll have to try different sync combinations (csync h+v sync h-sync etc...) with it set to 15k and see if you can get a proper pic that way. i'm not sure what the pandoras box outputs, as i've only ever hooked them up via VGA

shaunpurslow

• Offline Offline
This is great information. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
I have no idea why I thought this monitor could go up to 640x480.
Forgive my ignorance, is it possible to do 640x480 at 15khz?
I do have the monitor hooked up to the pandoras box via vga cable currently.  The PB manual shows a 15khz rate for their 384x224 resolution but it doesn't show what it is for the 640x480 output. I assume it's way too high like you said.
And in relation to trying different sync combinations, is there a device/tool you recommend to do that?
I have a Paddsun Video Converter - but I was having a hard time getting it to display anything on the monitor.

Thank you again for taking the time to help me. I'm seriously glad the problem isn't with the monitor itself.
Shaun

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
i looked a bit more into your monitor part number. i was thinking it was a U5000 which is 15k only. can you confirm it is indeed a 27 inch U3000 because it SHOULD be capable of 640x480 60hz in that case. be sure you pandoras output configuration leds show just the green light on.

try hooking up an LCD to it, go into the LCD's menu and confirm it's outputting 640x480x60hz then hook up the monitor and see what it does.

The PB manual shows a 15khz rate for their 384x224 resolution but it doesn't show what it is for the 640x480 output. I assume it's way too high like you said.

it's easier in the arcade world to specify the refresh rate than the horizontal and vertical pixel counts and instead just refer to the horizontal sync frequency so 15k is commonly called CGA, which is around 320x200ish , a 25k which is often called EGA 720x350ish and 31k which is VGA 640x480. uncommonly 40 and 70khz respectively for SVGA 800x600 and XGA 1280x1024 frequencies. usually it's just called SVGA or "HD" on these ones instead of 40k and 70k.

shaunpurslow

• Offline Offline
Can confirm it is a 27 inch U3000.
I checked my pandoras output and it is 640x480, although I can't tell if it's at 60hz.
I hooked it back up to the monitor and it still shows a squished image.

Thank you so much for the CGA/EGA/VGA/SVGA Breakdown. It's super helpful as I am see that terminology everywhere.
So this is definitely a 31k VGA then? Any idea what would cause the squished picture?
I am savvy enough to desolder/solder parts if needed. Just wasnt sure what was broken.

In addition, I do have an extra WG D9200 chassis that I could swap into here, but I wasn't sure if it was compatible and I didn't want to damage anything.

Thank you again for all your help. I REALLY appreciate it.
Shaun

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
i'm unsure of the compatibility of the u3000 vs the D9200. i know the 9200 is a pretty agressive beast, and likely wouldn't play nice with a yoke like that one on the u3000. the 9200 has some pretty funky deflection yoke driving going on. (multiple power supplies and on the fly adjustments) i have yet to find a replacement chassis that plays nice with the D9200 yoke... even when universal weiya chassis where plentiful and had 2 for 1 deals.

if the image going in is good, your squashed image could be a couple things. bad or open main B+ filter cap and/or Failing deflection IC. according to the troubleshooting guide, check out Q602, Q603, Q600, R628, ICU600 for vertical problems... and for dark pics... Q604 and maybe IC U301...

but double check with an LCD or other monitor that the image is good and has proper refresh rate... in the menu settings somewhere will be an option or a menu screen that tells you what the current resolution is including the refresh rate. if it's good (IE 60hz), hot swap the video cable onto the u3000. if it says something wierd like 59.94, its fine we just dont want 50 or something odd like that... while 50hz would play nicce onan lcd, it wont on a crt like the u3000

you could also try another signal like a computer hooked up via VGA, just be sure to set the resolution to 640x480 first using a different display, then attach the u3000 monitor.

https://superuser.com/questions/1209385/create-a-custom-resolution-on-windows-10

shaunpurslow

• Offline Offline
This is excellent! Thank you.
I will hook my computer up to it, set the specific resolution and 60hz and make sure that's not the problem.
Then I will go through the components you mentioned and try to fix it that way.
I am sure there is a kit I can purchase online to swap those out.

Thanks for all your help. Will report back once I get her up and running again.

Shaun

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
no problem. just trying a few different things to narrow down where the issue actually is. those china boards can do some weird stuff. i know the 60-in-1 boards available now... don't output a proper 640x480 and will not sync properly with some LCD screen auto adjustments and end up with 1/3rd of the image just... off screen for some reason. they used to work just fine, then one day, they were just like that.

if we can isolate the issue is with the monitor, then we can go from there... but no sence barking up that tree if the video coming out is for some reason or another not being sent proper.