Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Midway Revolution X repair  (Read 963 times)

payty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2023, 02:43:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Midway Revolution X repair
« on: June 12, 2023, 02:43:41 pm »
Hi,

I have two of these boards, both show a black screen when powered, power led is on, control led is off. I do not have the original PSU so I am only powering them with a bench PSU (+5V)

So far I have discovered that the signals that should trigger the output enable pin of the various 74ABT245 chips are always HIGH. (ROM, etc)

I have attached a picture from the schematic. The signals shown in red are always HIGH, the other shows activity on that line.

Should I suspect that the main control PAL is dead?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:59:55 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Midway Revolution X repair
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 10:48:54 am »
custom designed stuff is super hard to diagnose. this might be a bear to figure out due to the obfuscation of many parts and their functions. going to be super tough since a programmable chip with unknown functions has been implemented and how it's SUPPOSED to act is unknown, since we have no working model to compare against...

to begin... any chip that shares those control lines with the other chips could be the culprit. not just the PLC. any chip could be at fault and holding the lines hostage... causing it to lock up.

for instance, a bad ROM chip with a locked data line could cause the datalines for the ram to act weird and show up as bad ram in a system test, or even cause the CPU to not boot all the way, even though they are actually fine.

since it's both of those lines, id' suspect any other chip that also uses those 2 lines... but wouldn't discount a chip that uses just one, since it could be in control another chip down the stream that uses the other line... causing them both to be locked up high.

try dragging one line or the other low with a 10k or even a 1k resistor tied to ground and see what it does. see if dragging one down causes the other to start acting normal. could start pointing you in a direction to start searching.

good luck!  :cheers: