Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JVL Retro snd-intel error  (Read 2928 times)

Troutman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2023, 01:49:47 am
JVL Retro snd-intel error
« on: April 18, 2023, 02:30:50 am »
I am new to this forum,  Did some searching,  thought I had this figured out,  but it keeps kicking my butt! 

I have a JVL Retro that boots up to “ERROR: can't load sound driver snd-intel8x0".    The screen shows a quick flash of the BIOS initialization,  then a couple of flashes with a blank screen, then nothing.   I plugged in a normal VGA monitor and I can see it boot,  start the GUI,  then crash with sound driver error.   I have reseated and cleaned all connections with deoxid. Removed the MB and reseated the RAM.  I replaced the CR2032 battery on the MB and the 3.6V lithium battery on the I/O board.   Same issue.   I got the image that Mahkeymike posted, and app.  Wrote the image to a Sandisk 512GB CF (exactly the same model that came with the system).  Replaced the CF and booted the JVL,  same sound driver error.    If I connect a CDROM to the USB port and boot the iTouch10 disk, I get the same error for a random number of tries (I can see the CDROM is booting each time), then it boots to restore factory defaults.  I can push the reset button and watch it partition, format and install the software.  It ends successfully with a continuous beeping.    Remove the CDROM,  power cycle the JVL, same sound driver error. 
I can get the system to boot the cdrom everytime by letting the system boot off the CF, and then plug the CDROM in.   It will then continue to boot from the CDROM and gets to the factory reset menu everytime.   

It looks like the system has issues with the touchscreen and the sound.   Are both these run through the IO board?

At this point,  I “think” it might be a faulty IO board…

I am hoping someone can confirm or give me a clue on something to try, etc… 
THANKYOU!

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:29:37 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: JVL Retro snd-intel error
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 06:30:35 am »
Which motherboard is in your machine? Is audio enabled in the bios? Your ioboard has nothing to do with sound or touch

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:01:05 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 11:52:43 am »
sounds like some things might be disabled in the bios

I replaced the CR2032 battery on the MB and the 3.6V lithium battery on the I/O board.

you'll have to enter the bios and load the defaults and make sure your date and time is properly setup. it can cause all kinds of weird errors if the date and time is not set properly. (driver dependencies can fail to load due to invalid date causing drivers to not load or throw error messages)

Troutman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 03:44:53 pm »
Which motherboard is in your machine? Is audio enabled in the bios? Your ioboard has nothing to do with sound or touch

I think the motherboard is a JP30.   I went into BIOS, under “Intergrated Peripherals” , then under “Onboard Device”, “AC97 Audio” is set to “Auto”.
Is this the only place to enable audio?    I could not find any other Audio options in BIOS. 

Thanks for the response!

Troutman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 03:50:43 pm »
sounds like some things might be disabled in the bios

I replaced the CR2032 battery on the MB and the 3.6V lithium battery on the I/O board.

you'll have to enter the bios and load the defaults and make sure your date and time is properly setup. it can cause all kinds of weird errors if the date and time is not set properly. (driver dependencies can fail to load due to invalid date causing drivers to not load or throw error messages)

I set the clock a couple a weeks ago after replacing the CR2032 and its been keeping accurate time and date since.
I went into BIOS and selected “Load Optimized defaults”, then I saved and exited.   I am still seeing the snd-intel error.   

Is that the correct place to load defaults ?   
Is there a document or post that lists what changes need to be made in BIOS?   

Thank you for the response! 
Brian

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2023, 05:18:16 pm »
as long as it's not disabled, it should pick it up.

what happens if you press and hold the service menu button while you turn it on and it boots? does it come to the re-installation screen?

try doing a full clear reinstall from there and see if that works. (if it asks, don't save any settings or anything, just clear it all to default)

Troutman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2023, 01:38:10 am »
what happens if you press and hold the service menu button while you turn it on and it boots? does it come to the re-installation screen?

I tried to hold the service button (the button on the IO board next to the Lithium battery) while powering on the system.   It boots to the exact same error.  I kept the button depressed until I saw the error message.  Is that the correct button? 

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2023, 10:07:53 am »
almost seems like you have something plugged into the wrong spot. the first thing the software should do is check the IO board to see if the button is being held down to boot to the re-installation program... this bypasses the rest of the boot. if it's not picking this up, it's possible the IO board is not being communicated with at all.

there is a 10 pin? cable that plugs from the IO board onto the motherboard, that can fit into 2 different spots on the motherboard. make sure your cable is slotted into the correct header.

i typically mark the outsides of the ones in use with white paint since there is so many places to plug stuff in. for the most part it's fairly obvious where they go, but some of the same size and number pin headers are used in like 4 or 5 different spots in there, it can be confusing when it comes time to put it back together.

Troutman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2023, 07:27:55 pm »
there is a 10 pin? cable that plugs from the IO board onto the motherboard, that can fit into 2 different spots on the motherboard. make sure your cable is slotted into the correct header.

First,  thanks for the help!   I really appreciate it!

Here are some pics of how the cables are attached.  I did some switching with the two - 5pin cables on unit attached to the back of the MB.   I also switched the 3pin cables on the IO board.   Same error.
I did notice that when booting, it does detect the IO board. 

Are these the correct cables?   Or am i just missing the boat somewhere?

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:49:40 am
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2023, 11:33:58 pm »
Just going to throw this out there. Have you considered doing a software reinstall? Could be corrupted drivers.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2023, 12:03:18 am »
no no, i meant in the computer motherboard in the case itself, where the cables plug from the tumor "box" on the side to the pin headers on the motherboard.

you mentioned replacing the computer's battery, and i've figured you would have to disconnect the cables from the motherboard to unscrew it out of the case.

Troutman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2023, 12:42:37 am »
Just going to throw this out there. Have you considered doing a software reinstall? Could be corrupted drivers.
yes.   I used an iTouch10 disk with a powered USB CDROM.   If I let it boot off the CDROM,  it fails with the same error about 9 out of 10 times.  Then after a random numbers of reboots,  it boots to a factory reset screen.   I can press the setup button on the IO board and it goes through a format, install, etc… it ends successfully with a beeping noise.   After removing the CDROM and power cycling,  it boots to the same error.   
I did stumble across a method to get it to boot to the factory reset menu every time.   If I unplug the CDROM and boot from the CF card,  wait until it starts to read the CF card,  then plug in the CDROM,  it loads the factory default menu every time.   Seems like a clue,  but I have no clue, so just throwing it out there.

Troutman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2023, 03:22:57 am »
no no, i meant in the computer motherboard in the case itself, where the cables plug from the tumor "box" on the side to the pin headers on the motherboard.

Ok,  i think i know what you’re talking about.  I never removed those connections.   I looked at other pics of the same MB and the cables look to be attached correctly.   Here’s a pic of how mine are connected.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 11:18:58 pm by Troutman »

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2023, 12:14:16 pm »
yes.   I used an iTouch10 disk with a powered USB CDROM.   If I let it boot off the CDROM,  it fails with the same error about 9 out of 10 times.  Then after a random numbers of reboots,  it boots to a factory reset screen.   I can press the setup button on the IO board and it goes through a format, install, etc… it ends successfully with a beeping noise.   After removing the CDROM and power cycling,  it boots to the same error.   
I did stumble across a method to get it to boot to the factory reset menu every time.   If I unplug the CDROM and boot from the CF card,  wait until it starts to read the CF card,  then plug in the CDROM,  it loads the factory default menu every time.   Seems like a clue,  but I have no clue, so just throwing it out there.

Let me see if i have a Itouch 10 CF card image you can write to your CF card. Might solve your problem if your software is corrupted.

Here. Just grab a CF card reader if you have one and write this image to your CF card with a free software tool like USB imaging tool.
https://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/
https://www.mediafire.com/file/o76lmuw8c52eomz/iTouch10+CF+Image.img/file

EDIT: seems i missed reading your post about apparently i already gave you an image to write. Is it the same one i just linked? I might have others to try just incase.

Also, i was thinking it might be possible that image was originally from a JP20 motherboard. Could have got corrupted trying to reinstall different sound drivers.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 12:24:33 pm by mahkeymike »

Troutman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2023, 11:15:54 pm »
Let me see if i have a Itouch 10 CF card image you can write to your CF card. Might solve your problem if your software is corrupted.

Here. Just grab a CF card reader if you have one and write this image to your CF card with a free software tool like USB imaging tool.

EDIT: seems i missed reading your post about apparently i already gave you an image to write. Is it the same one i just linked? I might have others to try just incase.

Also, i was thinking it might be possible that image was originally from a JP20 motherboard. Could have got corrupted trying to reinstall different sound drivers.

I grabbed the image from your link, unfortunately it is the same image that I got from one of your previous posts.  I have the app also.   I imaged the CF card with default options in the image tool app.  Are there any options that I should change, or should the “default” options work?   
I put the “new” CF card in the MB and “load optimized defaults” in the BIOS.  Reboot and same exact error…

Now I am wondering if one of the cables that @lilshawn mentioned,  might be bad…

I think the “L” in this JVL stands for LEMON.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2023, 11:37:54 pm »

I grabbed the image from your link, unfortunately it is the same image that I got from one of your previous posts.  I have the app also.   I imaged the CF card with default options in the image tool app.  Are there any options that I should change, or should the “default” options work?   
I put the “new” CF card in the MB and “load optimized defaults” in the BIOS.  Reboot and same exact error…

Now I am wondering if one of the cables that @lilshawn mentioned,  might be bad…

I think the “L” in this JVL stands for LEMON.

I am digging through my boxes of megatouch and JVL stuff. I think i have a external HDD with a bunch of itouch images. Im wondering if the image i gave you was from a vortex with a jp20 motherboard. I am not sure how well JVL software detect new hardware and installs the correct drivers. In your case sound drivers. I don't know if this is the problem, but i wanted to mention it.

Troutman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2023, 01:45:05 am »
I am digging through my boxes of megatouch and JVL stuff. I think i have a external HDD with a bunch of itouch images. Im wondering if the image i gave you was from a vortex with a jp20 motherboard. I am not sure how well JVL software detect new hardware and installs the correct drivers. In your case sound drivers. I don't know if this is the problem, but i wanted to mention it.

Wow, thanks!  Hope you find something!   

Also wanted to mention a couple things.

I have an iTouch10 cdrom (came with the system) that detects the same software that is on the CF card image (the image dl from your link).

I ordered some 10 pin ribbon cables to see if that might fix the issue.

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2023, 08:42:35 am »
Here's an itouch11 image I have. I realize it's the wrong version but worth it to see if you can get past the snd error

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YYiOcnMzaVq_qMwRPEPZpQXXYW3Y6F_E/view?usp=drivesdk

Troutman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2023, 03:29:56 pm »
Here's an itouch11 image I have. I realize it's the wrong version but worth it to see if you can get past the snd error

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YYiOcnMzaVq_qMwRPEPZpQXXYW3Y6F_E/view?usp=drivesdk

I grabbed the file, imaged it on a CF, booted it, and same exact error AGAIN! 

I know I used the new 11 image because I accidentally plugged the cdrom into the USB, instead of the keyboard.
It booted the factory default menu.   (See attached)

Am I safe in guessing this must be a hw issue?  Something fried or mis-cabled… probably NOT a BIOS issue?

THANKS for the help!   I guess I know one more thing that is not causing the issue!  :)

Troutman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2023, 01:38:50 am »
I tried swapping the 3 cables coming from the USB replicator board (on the back of the MB) with the six ports on the MB.   I think I tried every combination, but still no luck. 
I looked at the USB replicator board and see two ICs.   TPS1517 and BC472M M67,  both are related to audio amplification.   So,  my guess is that this replicator board is bad.   It does work for certain things,  I saw different error messages depending on which cable was moved...  but,  still cannot find the sound...

I cannot seem to find any info about a replacement.    So I am coming back to ask if anyone has a spare replicator board they want to sell or if they know where I could purchase one.   

The number on the board is:   CT6-407-PCB Rev 03 

thanks,
Brian

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2023, 07:40:23 am »
That's an amplifier board. Your machine will boot without it, just with no sound

Have you tried replacing the battery on the ioboard yet? Not sure if it'll help with the sound error but it'll prevent it from trying to factory reset every time.

I have an image for some ITouch version, I forget which, that bypass the need for the ioboard sram and instead saves settings to a file. Might be worth a shot?

Spank

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 07:32:50 am
  • I like to help out.
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2023, 11:40:24 am »
I have an ISO of iTouch 11 v1.0D3 That is the latest cd that I'm aware of for the non HD games.
May be worth a try, I know if you boot off a disc it would update the bios if needed. I have done it on non JVL motherboards on HD games with the same model motherboard and it worked.

You may be able to get a JP-30 board and io board, and change them out. I don't know if the harnesses are the same or not. I remember someone selling kits on ebay a while back for a good price with a iTouch 11 key included.

Haven't looked for them on ebay in a while.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2023, 07:26:47 pm »
You're probably better off sourcing some megatouch parts and converting. All you really need is a motherboard, ioboard, and 2009 or higher key. The ion Intel board is best suited for conversion.

Troutman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2023, 11:09:32 pm »
That's an amplifier board. Your machine will boot without it, just with no sound

Have you tried replacing the battery on the ioboard yet? Not sure if it'll help with the sound error but it'll prevent it from trying to factory reset every time.

I have an image for some ITouch version, I forget which, that bypass the need for the ioboard sram and instead saves settings to a file. Might be worth a shot?

If I don’t connect that board,  the boot fails with cannot find IO board.  If I connect one of the 10pin cables to either of the ports labeled USB on the MB,  it finds the IO board,  but still fails trying to initialize the sound driver. 
I did replace the battery on the IO board.

I would be willing to try anything else right now,  I did try an iTouch 11 image,  but if you have a different one that bypasses the IO board sram,  I would be willing to try it!

THANKS!

Troutman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2023, 11:13:18 pm »
I have an ISO of iTouch 11 v1.0D3 That is the latest cd that I'm aware of for the non HD games.
May be worth a try, I know if you boot off a disc it would update the bios if needed. I have done it on non JVL motherboards on HD games with the same model motherboard and it worked.

You may be able to get a JP-30 board and io board, and change them out. I don't know if the harnesses are the same or not. I remember someone selling kits on ebay a while back for a good price with a iTouch 11 key included.

Could I get a copy of that ISO?   I can burn it and give it a try to see if it makes any difference at all.
THANKS!

Troutman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2023, 11:15:56 pm »
You're probably better off sourcing some megatouch parts and converting. All you really need is a motherboard, ioboard, and 2009 or higher key. The ion Intel board is best suited for conversion.
If I don’t find a solution shortly,  I will definitely look into this!   THANKS for the info!

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2023, 11:52:33 pm »
If I don’t find a solution shortly,  I will definitely look into this!   THANKS for the info!

If you take that route, you will want to look into a PicoPSU. It will allow you to take the 12v from the JVL power supply and convert to the Megatouch Intel Motherboard. That said, your still going to have to figure out how to mount the Intel Motherboard. Its a tight space in that Retro.
Found a pic of a retro i converted.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 11:59:39 pm by mahkeymike »

Spank

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 07:32:50 am
  • I like to help out.
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2023, 04:25:13 pm »

Could I get a copy of that ISO?   I can burn it and give it a try to see if it makes any difference at all.
THANKS!

I just sent you the link. I don't know if it will help but it is worth a try.

You can also create a USB installer from the cd. Put it in a pc and the install app should pop up if you have autoplay set.
It is a bit picky on what USB drives it will install to.

Troutman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2023, 06:14:57 pm »
Thank You!

I will let you know how it went!

Troutman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2023, 11:25:37 pm »

THANKS!

I just sent you the link. I don't know if it will help but it is worth a try.

You can also create a USB installer from the cd. Put it in a pc and the install app should pop up if you have autoplay set.
It is a bit picky on what USB drives it will install to.

It boots the itouch 11 cd to the "We take our games seriously" screen,  then the progress bar gets to the end and the system just hangs.  I left it sit for an hour and nothing.   
Im gonna keep messing around to see if I can figure something out...

THANKS for the files!