Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Facebook/Marketplace Communication skills.  (Read 3730 times)

fallacy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
Facebook/Marketplace Communication skills.
« on: April 05, 2023, 08:13:54 pm »
Why in 2023 with 15 years of texting/tweeting/commenting  are people so flippin bad at communication over a messaging app? It's like why are you all so stupid… why can't any of you figure out how to communicate so the seller actually wants to reply back. When I sold stuff on craigslist I basically just ignored most of the text and dealt with the people that would just call me directly. There were a few people that I communicated over text because they figured it out.  Facebook Marketplace does not give you a place for your number… I guess I could put it in the description but I dont think half of the people read it, they ask me questions I already put in the description.

“Is it Still available?” WTF? Maybe I could accept it  if I felt it was like a knock on the door to see if anyone was home, but if I reply to it saying yes it is still available and you say nothing back you are a moron.

Why do you think the first message you should send a seller is to offer them half as much?

Stop writing stupid little things that make no sense. After I said it was available he wrote back “where is it at?”

If you are interested in something on Facebook/Marketplace you need to write to the seller with intent.  The seller needs to know that you are very interested, that you have the money and you are willing to come look at the item as soon as possible. If you have a question you can also ask it at this time as well. If you have too many questions because the seller did not give a lot of pictures/ detail or it looks like he was trying to hide things just move on.

I wanted to buy a 3080 Graphics card. I saw one on marketplace that looked clean for $600 and he said the price was firm! I wanted a used 3080 for $500 so I had to think how I could get him to lower the price. I need intent on the purchase, I need to confirm I have the money and I just need to be passive\non confrontational about the price change. So I wrote this to him.

“Hello I have been looking for a used 3080 for $500. I can come by tomorrow after 1:00 with $500 cash if interested. If not, no problem let me know if you change your mind.”

Few more messages later I am handing him my $500 for his card.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 05:15:46 pm
Re: Facebook/Marketplace Communication skills.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 11:01:53 am »
I've only tried to buy a couple things on Craigslist and had a similar bad experience.  I found a local Asteroids for sale for I believe $900 that was listed as in working condition.  Photos looked good and I wanted it.  The only way to contact was through Craiglist messaging.  I message on Wednesday and say I'm interested in the Asteroids machine is it still available?  He says yes but I can't show it until I get to my shop on Saturday.  I said great I've got a truck and I'll come get it anytime you're available.  I hear nothing back so Friday afternoon I message and said I've got the money and my truck when and where do I show up tomorrow?  I get no reply.  I'm trying not to be a bother so I wait till about noon on Saturday and message and say I still want this machine if you let me know where to show up.  I get no reply until noon on Sunday I get a message that says do you still want the Asteroids?  I reply in 2 minutes saying "Yes, I can come right now, what's your address?".  I get no reply so after an hour I message "I need the address".  After 2 hours he replies and says "Sorry the other guy showed up and took it".  I'm ---smurfing--- pissed I was never told there was "another guy" and I was ready to get the damn thing on Wed. and was ready to give $1,000.  So sellers can be just as bad.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:18:54 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2023, 11:03:46 am »
I buy stuff all of the time on Craigslist and Facebook.

Zero problems. Everyone has been great.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 05:15:46 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 11:07:19 am »
I buy stuff all of the time on Craigslist and Facebook.

Zero problems. Everyone has been great.

Statements like that always need a "yet" at the end...lol.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:17:53 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2023, 02:11:32 pm »
“Is it Still available?” WTF? Maybe I could accept it  if I felt it was like a knock on the door to see if anyone was home, but if I reply to it saying yes it is still available and you say nothing back you are a moron.

It probably doesn't help that FB suggests this as the first question.  But there are two sides to all of this, buyer's interests and sellers interests (obviously).

I have responded to ads in the past where there is no response from the seller, or the reply is "oh, that was sold last week."  So instead of starting out cold with the haggle, it makes sense to see first if the item is actually still available, or if the seller is even responsive enough to bother to reply.  A lack of further response from the potential buyer simply shows someone who is shopping, and needed to know if your item is "in the running" amongst others being considered.  So I guess it didn't win out, or the buyer found other priorities.

Why do you think the first message you should send a seller is to offer them half as much?

While I don't do this, choosing more often than not to consider the market value with a personal value factored in, sellers will overprice something fully expecting to get close to their actual price after the negotiating.  Potential buyers who aren't oblivious to the way things work, know this and the amount they offer usually reflects their willingness to "walk away".  If the seller can't sell at his/her ask, and has been trying for some time, they may eventually sell for what is offered.  If the buyer has offered the most they are willing to pay, they go away after the refusal.   It's literally "Haggle 101"

Stop writing stupid little things that make no sense. After I said it was available he wrote back “where is it at?”

While perhaps poorly worded, location is a factor in the final price.  If you need to drive 6 hours in a fuel-guzzling pickup truck to get the item, or worse, need to rent one or call in a favor, it may no longer be a "good deal" or even be worth the final price.

If you are interested in something on Facebook/Marketplace you need to write to the seller with intent.  The seller needs to know that you are very interested, that you have the money and you are willing to come look at the item as soon as possible. If you have a question you can also ask it at this time as well. If you have too many questions because the seller did not give a lot of pictures/ detail or it looks like he was trying to hide things just move on.

Actually, you as the seller have something which has no value until the buyer transfers that value to you in exchange for it.  This puts you at a disadvantage, which means that unless the item you possess is as rare as hen's teeth, and people are fighting for the opportunity to own it, you just need to "suck it up" until you find someone who thinks the item is worth as much as you do.  As for not trying to get more information, there are a lot of nice deals posted by lazy sellers being left on the table by lazy potential buyers.  I've purchased a few things which were in near perfect condition, from listings with low prices and poor pictures, which would have scared away those who were less inquisitive.

“Hello I have been looking for a used 3080 for $500. I can come by tomorrow after 1:00 with $500 cash if interested. If not, no problem let me know if you change your mind.”

Few more messages later I am handing him my $500 for his card.

That's a great way to do things if you are ready to make the deal.  Some buyers, however, will purchase only if they are comfortable with the seller, based on their own criteria and terms.  FWIW, simple transactions like that can leave you bleeding in a parking lot without your wallet.  If you don't need to work the seller a bit to get your price, there's a good chance he doesn't have anything to sell you.  And if the seller doesn't have time to answer your questions, they are probably just wasting peoples time and are not really motivated to sell at all.  As for "firm" prices, my experience has shown that there is no such thing with private sales, and when those "firm" prices are higher than they should be, the seller ends up taking the item to their grave.

But YMMV  :lol
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 03:13:52 pm by RandyT »

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:50:02 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2023, 02:01:53 am »
Is this still available?

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2023, 07:01:41 pm »
the only people who communicated well were the ones i bought something from.
like they had stuff they wanted gone and were happy i wanted it.
things i've bought:

berzerk arcade monitor that needs a recap.
CRT TV's.
LAwn Mower
Stone

Though I hit one guy up for firewood and he responded 4 weeks later AFTER the snow melted asking if i still wanted firewood.
and of course the people who ghost you for a day or two because they are juggling buyers.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2023, 10:09:10 pm »
I can't believe how many people have answered an ad I have up for something and they never thought to look at where the hell I am.
Never mind the jackasses who are trying to scam me- somehow.

Favorite comedian of mine put it well-

If you really want something tell them you'll pay even a little more than their asking price.
As long as you don't come off as an expatriot Nigerian prince it works wonders with them being patient about you getting there.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:54:30 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2023, 11:52:16 am »
man, i hate effi'n around on deals. if you want something and have money... hey, i'm interested in your _________ if its still available, I can come this afternoon and pick it up? is all you need to say. i dont even bother to haggle. i know what i'm willing to pay and if your price isnt what i want to pay, i'll keep looking. i'll find it for what i want to pay.

nothing worse than

i really want this thing you are selling but i dont get money till next friday, can you hold it for me?

can i get this for $20 less? also... can you deliver this to me?

are you within walking distance of ______ ?

*5 minutes before arranged pickup time...* all i could get was [lessThanAskingPrice] is that okay?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2023, 01:40:39 pm »
Meh.

Answering a few questions by text requires very little mental or physical energy.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2023, 04:28:31 pm »
Meh.

Answering a few questions by text requires very little mental or physical energy.

answering questions about the item (yes it's in good condition, works just fine, i just bought something newer) is absolutely fine. but a far cry from dealing with tire kickers who make it seem they are not really genuinely interested and faff about with questions answered in the original ad posting and then humming an hawing about when they might be driving within 10 feet of my house in the next few weeks on their semi-monthly shopping trip cause they dont want to waste the gas to drive unless they are already.

i dunno, i guess i just hate anyone that expends energy farting around instead of just getting it done. i go to the store i get exactly what i need and GTFO. i don't look around and wonder if i should buy this one or that one. car dealership sales people hate me. i know what i want before i ever leave my house, i'll show up with a stock number and a price and if i can't get exactly what i want. kthxbai!

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2023, 02:13:06 pm »
Very likely, in the mind of the potential buyer, you as a seller are "guilty until proven innocent".  Too many scammers out there nowadays to be naive about things.  If you are too busy to make the buyer feel comfortable that you aren't trying to rip them off, then you probably can't be bothered to follow through with the sale and will be wasting their time.

If I contact a private seller and it takes several days for them to respond, or they don't bother at all, that throws up huge red flags.  Unless they are a business, they aren't being inundated with requests and should be able to handle inquiries about the one or two items they might be selling.  Likewise, delays usually mean multiple interested parties, and waiting several days to respond usually means A: they are juggling potential buyers, perhaps in an attempt to maximize the sale price and/or B: Someone has backed out of the purchase for some reason, which is a likely indicator of an issue with the item or the inability to haggle with the seller to address them.

Do things the way you want, but ignore the warning signs at your own peril.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 02:08:11 pm by RandyT »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:37:41 pm
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2023, 09:19:04 am »
I have been ripped off twice buying things where the seller lied about the item being in working condition, but the amazing deal I got recently made up for it.

The funny (lucky) part is that the items were probably only still available due to the seller's poor communication.
The listing was vague.  Just said custom maple raised panel kitchen cabinet doors, many sizes,  $25, and had a couple pictures of single doors.  I assumed it was $25 per door. 
I thought about looking into them for a future kitchen remodel, but passed because it was so vague about exactly what they had.

A couple weeks later my dishwasher leaked and ruined the subfloor.  I wasn't about to put the 1960's cabinets back in after replacing the subfloor.
I emailed the seller to see if the doors were still available, how tall the upper cabinet doors were and how much for the whole lot.
They were still available, "lots of different sizes", and $50.  I wondered if it was originally $25 for the whole lot, but they thought I was stupid for asking when the listing said $25 and doubled the price.
Whatever, I could risk $50 on something I might end up not using.

I get to there (to a McMansion) and it thousands of dollars worth of custom woodworking.  A huge kitchen's worth of brand new raised panel maple doors and dovetailed drawers.  Only nitpick was the door centers were MDF so they'd have to be painted.  The people had had some kind of falling out with their contractor and he was no longer answering their calls.  They were wealthy enough to take the $5k hit and just wanted the stuff out of their garage.  They even threw in the primer and paint, although I ended up not using it.

Maple plywood (for carcasses), router bits (for resizing), hardware, finishes, etc. added up to about $2k.
Not sure the juice was worth the squeeze if you include my time, but ended up with top quality cabinets for less than ikea ones would have cost.
It took a LOT of time because it was my first time building cabinets and I couldn't afford to waste any materials.
I still have half the doors/drawers left over.  I could sell them for a few hundred bucks with a proper listing, but am keeping them for future projects.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 09:25:08 am by BadMouth »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:57:40 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2023, 01:15:59 pm »
Reading this thread… I mean… if the one common factor in your inability to communicate with others and complete deals on Facebook Marketplace is you… then maybe you might… nah, couldn’t be.

:dunno

I’m glad the cabinets worked out but you paid those people $50 to haul off a bunch of scrap it would have cost them hundreds to dispose of otherwise.  Win-win obviously but you did save them a lot of hassle.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2023, 11:32:50 am »
A couple weeks later my dishwasher leaked and ruined the subfloor.  I wasn't about to put the 1960's cabinets back in after replacing the subfloor.
I emailed the seller to see if the doors were still available, how tall the upper cabinet doors were and how much for the whole lot.
They were still available, "lots of different sizes", and $50.  I wondered if it was originally $25 for the whole lot, but they thought I was stupid for asking when the listing said $25 and doubled the price.

Given that a couple of weeks had passed, I would bet that it started out at $25 per door.  They obviously wanted it gone, so my guess is that because it didn't move right away, they gave you the whole pile for $50.  Congrats on the score!

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2023, 04:59:38 am »
I ended up selling the car that very day. After going through at least 40 FU*k tard messages someone finally wrote to me.

“Good evening, Can I come and take a look at the buick?”

I was like ow cool I am finally get to talk to an adult.

I replied back “yes you can, what time were you thinking?”

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2023, 05:48:51 am »
I just bought another cab on Facebook.

The guy responded to my questions promptly.

I showed up on time and handed him money.

He had two guys help me load the cab.

The end.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2023, 10:58:21 am »
“Good evening, Can I come and take a look at the buick?”

If you weren't lucky enough to find the one person who likes Buicks, and just happened to need one, I'll bet you'd have started answering those emails  :lol

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2023, 01:27:54 pm »
Randy I am not running a business like you, I have only one item to sell in my inventory and then done. Also when you click on any add the first thing you should look at is when it was posted. If it was posted that day no one wants to deal with retards, “Ow thank god you came along offering half I did not know what I was going to do, I need to get rid of it this very second or my world is going to cave in on itself. ” Sarcasm off.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2023, 02:10:12 pm »
Randy I am not running a business like you, I have only one item to sell in my inventory and then done. Also when you click on any add the first thing you should look at is when it was posted. If it was posted that day no one wants to deal with retards, “Ow thank god you came along offering half I did not know what I was going to do, I need to get rid of it this very second or my world is going to cave in on itself. ” Sarcasm off.

If you just posted the ad, and someone offers half the asking price, just delete the message and go on with your day.  But here's the thing...suppose you didn't find someone you could convince to give you your price, and all the responses were offers well below what you were asking.  This gives you very valuable information about the true market for what it is you are trying to sell.  At that point, you can continue to hang onto the item, choosing to wait as long as it takes and perhaps finding more value in keeping it, or you could price the item more realistically.  Whatever the case, the "tire-kickers" and low-ballers do bring some value to the potential transaction, so long as you don't allow them to waste too much of your time or take the offers as personal insults and allow them to live in your head rent-free :)

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2023, 06:56:23 am »
As much as I hate to double post, I just thought I would relate an experience which happened to a friend just yesterday.

He was in the market for a tiller for the tractor he just bought (very nice deal, BTW, because he wasn't afraid to negotiate.)  So, he found one at a price he thought was fair, spent time talking to the seller and shuffled his work/personal schedule so he could go get it.  Just before he set out the next morning, he called the seller to let him know that he's on the way, and the seller informed him that it was no longer available because he sold it to his neighbor!

Fortunately, when he related the experience at work, one of his co-workers offered to sell him a much nicer one for the same price, so it actually worked out in his favor.  But the point is, r3tard$ exist on both sides, and just because you don't happen to be one, the other side doesn't know that until you start conversing with them. Even then, no-one really can know for sure.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2023, 03:20:08 pm »
Of course there are stupid stupid sellers I never said there weren't. I dont complain about them because there are tons of red flags usually on their posts so they just get ignored.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/646345147320499?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A87b6cab5-c714-42b2-b5cc-7177c06e8093

Lets use this post as an example while it is up. He is selling an Asus 3080 TI for $600. That would be a great brand, a great card for a good price…. Well he has only two pictures showing only the box, none showing the card itself. He has no description explaining why he is selling it or any information. Of course the card is still available even though the ad is over a week old. This person is a retard with no critical thinking skills or a scammer or both. If there was a way to spill soda on it or rip some of the PCIE connector pins out I am sure this individual managed to do that. If I was looking for a Graphics card I would not be wasting a second of my day trying to contact him.

By the way just not selling to someone does not make you a stupid seller, like I said no one is running a business here it is first come first serve. You can get mad if you agree to leave to meet him for a sale and then when you get there he tells you he just sold it, now he just wasted your time.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2023, 04:09:26 pm »
Buying an oscilloscope from a guy on Facebook marketplace this weekend. So far communication is great. This will be another painless transaction.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2023, 05:12:51 pm »
Buying an oscilloscope from a guy on Facebook marketplace this weekend. So far communication is great. This will be another painless transaction.

nice, what kind you gettin'? I have an old, and I mean OLD Tektronix 454... like from the late 60's kind of old... though it's old, she still works! (little fiddly sometimes and has some dirty contacts)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2023, 05:15:02 pm »
A 464.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2023, 01:15:10 pm »
By the way just not selling to someone does not make you a stupid seller, like I said no one is running a business here it is first come first serve. You can get mad if you agree to leave to meet him for a sale and then when you get there he tells you he just sold it, now he just wasted your time.

Actually, an agreement was made, along with a time set to complete the transaction, and the seller did not honor this, perhaps because his neighbor caught wind of the sale and offered an extra $50 (or whatever.)  This makes the seller someone devoid of any scruples and who has no regard for what the potential buyer may have needed to do in preparation.  What if the buyer had rented a trailer before calling him to tell him he was setting out?  Shuffling a work schedule around and going through the time to borrow and hitch-up a trailer to complete the transaction was bad enough, but it could have been much worse.  The appropriate thing to do would have been for him to tell his neighbor that someone was coming to buy it, and he was next in line if the buyer declined for some reason.

In this case, the seller exhibited that he was lacking in any sort of honor, so my buddy probably dodged a proverbial bullet.  If the seller was willing to conduct things in the manner in which he did, there's no telling what he might have misrepresented about the condition of what he was selling.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2023, 10:24:07 pm »
It is still a gray area, I would almost say waiting to look at anything the next day … There is no holding for anyone to leave it at that, he could have easily got there, looked at it and said this is not going to work for me afterall. Also if someone he knew wanted it vs someone he will never see again, well tough luck.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2023, 11:39:59 am »
It is still a gray area, I would almost say waiting to look at anything the next day … There is no holding for anyone to leave it at that, he could have easily got there, looked at it and said this is not going to work for me afterall. Also if someone he knew wanted it vs someone he will never see again, well tough luck.

I don't think I would enjoy buying something from you  :lol

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2023, 02:23:22 pm »
I have bought from you. Why don't you update your website and stock from the 90’s. I was looking for the black iL Eurojoystick and you don't even have them. Making me shop at paradise arcade.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2023, 10:12:46 am »
I have bought from you. Why don't you update your website and stock from the 90’s. I was looking for the black iL Eurojoystick and you don't even have them. Making me shop at paradise arcade.

Because their perceived value over the HAPP version of the same stick is a matter of opinion and they aren't, IMHO, worth importing from Europe, especially with the ever-increasing costs associated with doing so. 

What does that have to do with a private seller reneging on a deal and leaving the buyer out to dry?

I have a friend of over 20 years who sees the seller/buyer dynamic the same way as you appear to.  He's drowning in his acquisitions. Could be coincidence, but I tend to lean toward a causal determination.

BTW, notice I didn't state that I wouldn't buy anything from you, only that I don't think I would personally enjoy the process, based on the responses you've given.  I bought from much surlier types with great outcomes  :lol
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 11:27:11 am by RandyT »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2023, 12:10:19 pm »
A 464.

nice, i found a good repo of info on these old scopes is available on w140 dot com , it's the "tekwiki" for Tektronix scopes. manuals and repairs and mods and stuff. good info there.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2023, 12:11:49 pm »
Nice. Thanks.

I am picking it up at 5 tonight.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2023, 07:14:58 pm »
My kid will need a car.
saw one on FB market place that didn't have clown world prices.
called 10 mins. after it was posted at 9pm.
guy said i could come see it at 4:30 next day.
go to the bank next day to withdraw cash because people are willing to negotiate when you have cash in hand.
I was literally walking out the door when i got a call telling me the car was sold.

oh well.
next time i'll tell them i want to come now and bring a bright light to look at it. lol.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2023, 09:41:43 pm »
Ya who knows why he would suggest 4:30 if he was going to invite other people to look at it earlier. Unless you suggested 4:30 or a neighbor looked at it. After he made the time with you he could have gotten a lot of other messages that said I want to look at it right now. If you really want something on Facebook marketplace right now is the right time to look at it or at the seller's earliest convenience.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2023, 05:33:47 pm »
holy hell in a hand basket.
i think i'm done with marketplace for a bit.  :applaud:
finally found a used car for my kid that while more than i planned to spend is worth it just so i can stop dealing with the whole looking for a car thing.

such terrible communication.
took two days to get a time and address  and god forbid i ask for a pic of the interior (which always looks like feral cats used it to give birth btw) that's why they don't show it i learned.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2023, 05:48:59 am »
I just bought a Joust cocktail cab in Connecticut on Marketplace.

I live in Illinois.

He asked for 800 bucks. I offered 500. He took 500.

My good friend Bperkins01 picked it up for me since he lives in MA.

The whole deal was easy peasy. Even though I was almost a thousand miles away and I was having someone else pick it up for me.

Facebook Marketplace is the best.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2023, 11:25:44 am »
finally found a used car for my kid that while more than i planned to spend is worth it just so i can stop dealing with the whole looking for a car thing.

took two days to get a time and address  and god forbid i ask for a pic of the interior (which always looks like feral cats used it to give birth btw) that's why they don't show it i learned.

had a similar interaction on a car.

my niece was looking for a car and one she was interested went up for sale and she messaged. she said she was for sure interested and set up a time the next evening for us to go out there and take a look at it to be sure and give him some cash. cool beans.

next evening we grab a fist full of cash... show up... guy is not home. it's his parents house. whatever, apparently at work right now. NBD i guess, I more or less just want to start it up, drive around a bit and check some things over, hook a scantool up to it and see what's what. the usual things you do when you are buying a 20 year old car to make sure it's not a total piece and needs a trans or something.

So we spend an hour or so while do while mom/dad call the kid... he's just leaving work...but going home...right on... except he apparently lives way south of the city...and we are IN the city. so he's NOT coming? no. dafuq?!

alright... whatever...again...except we do this weird 3rd party convo over the phone between us and the parents and the parents and the kid... a literal game of telephone. Luckily all the paperwork is in the car and the parents just do the old "sign off" on the slips.

guy doesn't want us to pay the parents cash, he wants e-transfer.

grrr.

was willing to just pay full ask price and drive away.. but we decide since this guy is being such a hassle hole about this, we decide we are going to negotiate the price down.

grind him down... BIG time, do e-transfer. (luckily i had some cash in the bank since the niece basically cleaned hers out for cash.) and drive it away.

like dude who arranges to sell a car then doesn't show?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 12:10:35 pm by lilshawn »

Fursphere

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:18:40 am
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2023, 11:36:02 am »
I've bought and sold a lot of ATVs on craiglist and facebook marketplace.   Cash is a pain in the ass - more than once I've had the person show up, we agree on the price, do test rides, inspections, etc...   then they hand me a wad of cash - and expect me not to count it.   Last one was $800 short!  While he was loading it up I was like, nope.  No deal.  He played dumb, said "oops" and went into the cab of his truck and got the additional cash. 

Like..  how many times has he pulled this scam?  Sheesh.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2023, 08:44:49 pm »
I just bought a Joust cocktail cab in Connecticut on Marketplace.

I live in Illinois.

He asked for 800 bucks. I offered 500. He took 500.

My good friend Bperkins01 picked it up for me since he lives in MA.

The whole deal was easy peasy. Even though I was almost a thousand miles away and I was having someone else pick it up for me.

Facebook Marketplace is the best.

It can be.
i grabber an original berzerk CRT for $50 i think.
dude had a whole cab that some arcade converted to MK.
butchered the steel panel.
he also had all the original schematics and other stuff he found in the bottom of it.
made me a deal on those also.
pretty sure he charged me less because we started talking about the game ect and he knew i was restoring.
it was easy peasy also.
actually it was pleasant because he showed me his stuff.

but cabs are different than used cars.
not a whole lot want a cab these days.
everyone wants a used car and anyone who has one thinks they got gold.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2023, 09:09:30 pm »

had a similar interaction on a car.

my niece was looking for a car and one she was interested went up for sale and she messaged. she said she was for sure interested and set up a time the next evening for us to go out there and take a look at it to be sure and give him some cash. cool beans.

next evening we grab a fist full of cash... show up... guy is not home. it's his parents house. whatever, apparently at work right now. NBD i guess, I more or less just want to start it up, drive around a bit and check some things over, hook a scantool up to it and see what's what. the usual things you do when you are buying a 20 year old car to make sure it's not a total piece and needs a trans or something.

So we spend an hour or so while do while mom/dad call the kid... he's just leaving work...but going home...right on... except he apparently lives way south of the city...and we are IN the city. so he's NOT coming? no. dafuq?!

alright... whatever...again...except we do this weird 3rd party convo over the phone between us and the parents and the parents and the kid... a literal game of telephone. Luckily all the paperwork is in the car and the parents just do the old "sign off" on the slips.

guy doesn't want us to pay the parents cash, he wants e-transfer.

grrr.

was willing to just pay full ask price and drive away.. but we decide since this guy is being such a hassle hole about this, we decide we are going to negotiate the price down.

grind him down... BIG time, do e-transfer. (luckily i had some cash in the bank since the niece basically cleaned hers out for cash.) and drive it away.

like dude who arranges to sell a car then doesn't show?

yeah, i know that dance.
this kid is 18, lives down the road from my parents.
his mom fronted him money to buy cars at auction and he's sold a few so far on market place and has good reviews.
he told me what he paid, told me he doesn't want to sit on it but needs to make money to buy more and was asking below value (which has inflated bigely since covid).
he made 1k profit off of me. not huge.
government fleet vehicle.
did the car fax, know it's history.
clean underneath for an 06. cant believe it spent it's like in Western NY.
less than 130k miles.
super clean inside.
he told me everything wrong which wasn't much.
did the scanner, no codes cleared and pending.

but, he was waiting for the title to come in.
went to DMV with him and mom to see what could be done and nada.
so i'm holding my wad of cash until tile comes in.

I drove the car up and down my parents road and it drove nice.
I have the same car only older and so i know nice. plus i can fix it still.
so once title comes in i'll drive that for a bit until my kid gets his license and a job in the spring so any minor issues will be found.
plain jane which is what i like. less stupid stuff to break.

my dad doesn't like it. he likes the SE type cars that tell you to drive in circles every month to calibrate the compass and dash boards that need the resistors replaced so you can actually see the fancy display.
nope.

so i'm just gonna chill and wait for title to come in.

though he did have a sweet AWD charger that was also a government vehicle (our tax dollars at work) that i was tempted on for myself but my kid goes to college next yr and he will need a car.

if he sticks with it and the car doesn't burst into flames i will hit him up again.