Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Going to fire up old monitor, tips  (Read 543 times)

tommyinajar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2023, 12:23:20 pm
  • My other cab is a Cube Quest
Going to fire up old monitor, tips
« on: April 05, 2023, 02:36:48 pm »
These baby's have been in storage for 20+ years, 2 new, 1 BIG old one,  I REALLY want to work.

Any thing I should do beside grab a fire extinguisher and dial "91" on the phone before I have my nephew plug them in? :lol
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 02:38:20 pm by tommyinajar »

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Going to fire up old monitor, tips
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 07:04:19 pm »
blow/brush the dust off everything. Look over the board for anything blown, busted or cracked. Check for cracks in the boards, or the solder for each connection. Gently unplug and reseat all the connectors, the neckboard, the shatterhook from the anode cup, and check for corrosion. Meter any external stepdown or isolation transformers without the monitor plugged into them. You'd want to meter the HOT, i reckon but i'm not sure how to do that off the top of my head.

If everything looks good, fire one up, and listen to it work. If anything explodes, power down :D If all you get is a single vertical line, power down immediately before something else blows.