Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is this forum dying?  (Read 1758 times)

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:25:59 am
Is this forum dying?
« on: March 04, 2023, 07:25:15 pm »
There are not many replys, even on other members topics, so it seems to me that its alowly dying.... What do ou guys think?

Ropi Jo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2024, 04:26:37 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Is this forum dying?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 01:44:32 pm »
I expect this thread to get some replies. Might even be worth getting out the popcorn.

Where's that Michael Jackson scene?

I think the problem could be that so few people have the answers. Only when they get involved do threads get replied to.

But it doesn't help that some of the experts are a-holes looking to slate bods less knowledgeable than themselves.

I read every post on here, but very rarely can I offer assistance.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 09:56:54 am »
Well im one of the veterans here, and can see that many of the other veterans are no involved anymore, and the newer ones, can barely help.... So i guess you are right. Ive always try to help as i can. and even though it has been over 20 years, still got stuff to ask....

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:49:25 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 01:58:07 pm »
I think a lot of us have slowed down a bit with the hobby, and the crappy Arcade 1-ups “scratch the itch” for enough people that the hobby itself has slowed dramatically.  I think this place is and will always be the #1 source for info for this hobby, but it’s just not as active as it was and I expect it to keep trending in that direction.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 06:50:30 pm »
You have this forum confused with another one I think.
I get help on the often grouchier one I reference also, but this place is far better with the assistance with a smile aspect.
Nobody anywhere will help someone just being obnoxious or lazy though, so different people get different levels of assistance.

I expect this thread to get some replies. Might even be worth getting out the popcorn.

Where's that Michael Jackson scene?

I think the problem could be that so few people have the answers. Only when they get involved do threads get replied to.

But it doesn't help that some of the experts are a-holes looking to slate bods less knowledgeable than themselves.

I read every post on here, but very rarely can I offer assistance.

The people with the most knowledge of things useful around here are often very generous with their time and knowledge-
But my experience is that they are extraordinarily busy guys in their lives outside the hobby.

Everything ebbs and flows and patience pays.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 06:53:25 pm »
And you of course are absolutely correct.
More young blood will help!
I'm getting crustier all the time.

I think a lot of us have slowed down a bit with the hobby, and the crappy Arcade 1-ups “scratch the itch” for enough people that the hobby itself has slowed dramatically.  I think this place is and will always be the #1 source for info for this hobby, but it’s just not as active as it was and I expect it to keep trending in that direction.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:19:47 am
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2023, 05:18:39 pm »
There are a lot of factors, the biggest one is likely that the people who grew up with arcades have moved on with their lives.  I dont restore games or make mame cabs anymore, creaky bones and having a kid make it an impossibility. I still pop in here on occasion but before I can reply someone else has already posted something they googled instead of anything resembling experience. There are also other issues and bugs that have been reported and never fixed (like the HTTPS thing and the false positives on image uploads) but really its just that the hobby is aging out.

If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:54:30 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 05:42:23 pm »
kids these days and their newfangled smartphones. you go to a bar these days... everyone has their head down in their phone scrolling instagram or some crap... nobody is talking. playing falppy birdz or kingdom ledgends or tankamajigger  or whatever game of the day is.

you wanna scroll insta and play on your phone and drink, crap... you can do that at home.

and so they do.

go to the mall? get takeout? pfft... that shizz comes to the door now. don't even have to leave the couch.

why spend money to play at the arcades... i can play all the games on my phone right now for free.

---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, you wann play dos games? do it in your browser dawg. classicreload.com dont even need to install dosbox or nothin.

arcade is basically dead. the people that remain are here to learn the thing they do...then leave.

sure there is 5000 users registered here (or whatever number there is) but like 20 of us come somewhat regularly... and only brows a handfull of the subforums.

it's not the site that's dying... it's the interest of the people that died.

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 06:45:34 pm »
The supply of cabs and arcade monitors isn't what it used to be either. It's a lot harder to get started in this hobby than it was 20 years ago.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:18:54 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 09:52:10 pm »
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,166844.0.html

Yeah. Arcade monitors are just unobtainum now.

hehehe.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2023, 01:14:09 pm »
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,166844.0.html

Yeah. Arcade monitors are just unobtainum now.

hehehe.

Well, just rub it in already!

The crew who have been in this hobby since the get-go have been doing it for decades and that's a long time for any hobby.

The things that really keep a hobby like this going are the friendships you build, reasons why get togethers like Mike has and Zapcon and all the others are actually really important.
They keep the fire lit for the old guard and then occassionally people who stumble onto the events wind up obsessed with it all too.
This hobby is maturing and aging like all others do.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2023, 02:13:44 pm »
but i don want it to die ,  :banghead:  ima build as many games as i can for the rest of my life, maybe in the future it will pick up againg, or at least maybe one of my grand or grand grand sons will have a working mame arcade game....i hope.