Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A few issues upgrading from older MAME: CFG files, and Mouse Button assignment  (Read 568 times)

Justin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2024, 06:34:53 pm
    • Centipede MAME cabinet
Im upgrading my MAME cab entirely after 20 years...

A couple of issues:

1) CANT ASSIGN MOUSE CLICK:  In most games when I try to assign the MOUSE CLICK button (left or riight), it will ignore my assignment.   I hit ENTER for the entry such as P1 FIRE, and when I hit the mouse click to assign, it does nothing.
However, after testing around, I found that if the game itself is set up for analog input (Tempest) then it WILL allow me to assign the mouse click as an input.  Weird.
I can say for sure in the older versions of MAME I was able to assign the mouse button to ANY game.     This is crucial to me because my cabinet has 2 control buttons tied to 2 mouse buttons.
I tested on my home PC with a regular mouse, and same issue.  Anyone knoe what the deal is?
EDIT:  I figured it out...  the mame.ini needed mouse enabled as input device:
Code: [Select]
#
# CORE INPUT OPTIONS
#
coin_lockout              1
ctrlr                     
mouse                     1

2) CFG FILE FORMAT CHANGE:  My old CFG folder has several unique CFG files for special button assignments for particular games.   I copied them all over, but I think newer versions of MAME utilize a slightly different format for CFG files.  In particular, it seems where before it would say:
<port tag="IN0"it now prefers:
<port tag=":IN0"Note the extra colon...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 06:20:53 pm by Justin »
"3 warps to Uranus" -- so I stopped playing!

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:15:43 pm
On the config files, if they are personal to each game, you gonna have to redo em again. I has the same problem, and as far as i know, and i might be wrong, theres no way around.

Justin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2024, 06:34:53 pm
    • Centipede MAME cabinet
On the config files, if they are personal to each game, you gonna have to redo em again. I has the same problem, and as far as i know, and i might be wrong, theres no way around.
I downloaded notepad++ and did a global find / replace of the entire cfg folder to add the colon.  Worked like a charm!
"3 warps to Uranus" -- so I stopped playing!