Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PCB Ultrastik Shift keys  (Read 674 times)

flynnb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2024, 01:42:30 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
PCB Ultrastik Shift keys
« on: January 20, 2023, 12:10:20 am »
I've been considering rebuilding my 4 player cabinet - going with a simpler design by removing the trackball, spinner, and the single 4-way.  Currently, players 1 & 2 have 6 buttons and Players 3 & 4 have 4 buttons.   I'm heavily leaning towards getting 4 Ultrastik 360s and setting up each player with 8 buttons plus 2 additional ones (start and coin/select/back).    I understand that for arcade games, buttons beyond 6 (or 4 for players 3/4) would be overkill.  However I want the 10 buttons (8 plus 2 coin/start) so I have sufficient buttons to match an XBOX controller for PC games.
                Yes - I will still have an encoder for admin functions
                Yes - I know I could put start/select buttons on the encoder
                Yes - I know I could use 8 buttons and with shift feature I could press two buttons vs having a dedicated physical button --- but I like dedicated buttons
                Yes - I know I can simply hook up an xbox controller - but that's not what I want.  I have them connected today.

I realize that some/most people would find it sacrilegious to move away from 4 and 8 way controllers in favor of an analog controller but for the primary players of the cabinet (my teenage boys) they really don't have a point of reference to arcade machines.  They don't know what they are missing - that's fine. Plus, and probably the main driving factor, I would like to play more PC games on the cabinet.  I've done a lot of work to emulate a xbox 360 controller with my arcade joystick/buttons, and that works fantastic for a lot of PC games, but it falls short on having sufficient buttons and an analog stick. Examples of games I can't play are castle crashers or overcooked (there are many more).  Those two both require analog controllers.

I wanted to do something different with wiring up the diodes so I played around with creating a PCB.   I designed one (my first one ever) using easyeda and I'm sharing the results here for comments/feedback.  It's designed to permit up to the most allowable virtual pushbuttons from the ultastick.  I'm also going to re-post a diagram I found in post "Shift Key in I-PAC" by PL1 to show how the diodes should be wired up.

Please keep in mind that I don't have any ultrastiks purchased yet (still debating if worth the cost to rebuild, fingers crossed Andy from Ultimarc puts them on sale, and I don't have any spare time right now) so I can't test what I'm proposing anytime soon. 

Posting for comments and to give some inspiration.

flynnb

• Offline Offline
Re: PCB Ultrastik Shift keys
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 12:15:39 am »
Diagrams Attached

flynnb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 12:16:53 am »
Attached (3D View)

flynnb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 12:23:48 am »
I forgot to mention each board would be about 3 3/4" x 3 3/4" and I would have 4 of them installed (one for each ultastik).