Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

Joystick location (in relation to the buttons)

Left
1 (100%)
Right
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: January 04, 2023, 09:48:49 pm

Author Topic: Joystick  (Read 944 times)

Tommy714

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2023, 05:17:15 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Joystick
« on: December 29, 2022, 09:48:49 pm »
Ok, when I built my first arcade machine 18+ years ago the resources on the internet were WAY more limited than today.  Anyway, as you can see from the picture I put the joystick on the right, and the buttons on the left.  I've never felt the need to change (correct) this, as I like playing the games with my right hand on the joystick and left on the buttons.

Now I am re-making the control panel so I can add a spinner for each player (you can see I have a ton of room for this).  Should I put the joystick on the left, or stay with my original design with it on the right.

Let me know what you think.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:35:02 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Joystick
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 10:49:02 pm »
I've never felt the need to change (correct) this, as I like playing the games with my right hand on the joystick and left on the buttons.
Sounds like you already know what you want.   :cheers:

Do you like the 4 button diamond layout, or is there a different layout on Slagcoin that you like better?
- It's pretty easy to mirror those layouts so the stick's on the right.

One other thing to consider is slightly rearranging the admin buttons.
- Move the P1 Start over to the P1 side.
- Move the P2 Coin over to the P2 side.
- Move the Exit button away from the other buttons so you don't accidently hit it.
- Consider using P1B1 for Select instead of a dedicated button.

Scott

Tommy714

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 11:16:40 pm »
Thanks for the input, and you are 100% correct, I've pretty much made up my mind, but really wanted some feedback as to whether I was making a grave faux paux or not.

I've always had a bad habit of making it up as I go.  I didn't even realize I had the joystick in an unconventional location until I began to layout the control panel for my third system.  I picked up a table-top box that needed some attention, and my son was in the learning mood.

Anyway, all the feedback is welcome!

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:17:53 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 08:58:48 pm »
Now I am re-making the control panel so I can add a spinner for each player (you can see I have a ton of room for this).  Should I put the joystick on the left, or stay with my original design with it on the right.

Let me know what you think.

I think that if you are the only one playing the machine you should leave it as is.  But if the second player controls are expected to be used by someone else who doesn't share your affinity for having the controls reversed, you should seriously consider remedying the "oversight".  If P1 will always be you, feel free to leave player one reversed and consider standardizing P2 for your guest(s) so they aren't placed at a disadvantage.  Otherwise, you may experience more "polite refusals" to play than if they were in the proper configuration.

At the end of the day, it's yours and you shouldn't care what anyone else thinks.  But at the same time, your decisions may have undesirable consequences, so it's also up to you if you are okay with that possibility.

Tommy714

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 03:43:08 pm »
For what it's worth, I took the advice, and put the J on the left and the spinner on the right.  I'll post a picture in a few days when I get done wiring and putting it all back together.