Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can't edit 640x480 anymore?  (Read 998 times)

Endprodukt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2023, 12:54:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Can't edit 640x480 anymore?
« on: December 26, 2022, 05:08:59 pm »
Little trouble after changing to a new monitor. Trisync, running desktop in 640x480p at 60hz added from mode list. Usually I would change to a different resolution and edit 640x480, but non of the values I change in arcade osd has any effect. I went into absurd numbers but nothing. I didn't edit the 30hz one and I know I can't edit the mode I use as current desktop.

Any help is appreciated

Olli

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Can't edit 640x480 anymore?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 04:48:21 am »
The mode or modes in the EDID can never be edited once it's in place. If you enable EDID emulation this means 640x480i (by default, anyway)

You can simply add a 640x480i mode manually (either when first setting up EDID, or later on by using vmm)

open vmm
type modelist import
type modelist list
(take a look at the formatting, and enter something like...)
type modelist add 640x480@60.000
type modelist list
(does everything look like before, only with 640x480@60 now?)
type modelist install

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 05:47:13 am »
Thank you for your reply but this is an additional 640x480@60hz from the super modelist. As mentioned I was able to edit this resolution in the past but now it refuses to accept any changes.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 07:13:14 am »
Sometimes, Arcade OSD fails to determine the "correct" instance of 640x480 that's currently used by the desktop. So make sure you set your desktop to something that's different from ANY 640x480 mode before trying to edit.

That said, due to the special situation involving 640x480 as the most standard resolution of the universe, my common advice these days is to never use it on the desktop and always choose something different, preferably non-standard.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 07:31:05 am »
But it was working so nicely in the past.

I switched to 1024x768 to edit the 640x480 and had no luck. I still need to edit 640x480 anyways to display the VGA games correctly. I have massive horizontal Overscan.

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2022, 02:02:55 pm »
Well instead of adjusting in arcade osd I went the route of making the modelines for my CRT actually fit. I still find it hard to understand how it all works, even after 10 years of using GM. Best way it works for me is to setup the resolutions in VMM first and then Mame seperately. Even if the modes are adjusted nice in VMM they are off for me in MAME with the same values, no idea what I'm doing wrong. However, I'm close to what I wanted to achive!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 11:38:55 am »
Well instead of adjusting in arcade osd I went the route of making the modelines for my CRT actually fit.

That's the correct route. Just use arcade osd to get the good values for a single mode in each range, then generalize for all modes in the range through crt_ranges.

I still find it hard to understand how it all works, even after 10 years of using GM. Best way it works for me is to setup the resolutions in VMM first and then Mame seperately. Even if the modes are adjusted nice in VMM they are off for me in MAME with the same values, no idea what I'm doing wrong. However, I'm close to what I wanted to achive!

Make sure there's nothing obvious set wrong. Option monitor custom must be set both in VMM and mame.ini otherwise the crt_range lines are ignored. GM uses its own set of crt_range lines inside mame.ini which need to match the ones in VMM so they produce the same results.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi