Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best Twin Arcade Racing Cabinets for Home Brew project  (Read 1652 times)

bsoder52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2024, 08:57:04 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
Best Twin Arcade Racing Cabinets for Home Brew project
« on: July 16, 2022, 12:24:00 pm »
I continue to work on my PC build for hopefully making a home Twin Racing Cabinet. Big shout out to Boomslangz for helping me with some FFB configs! I've got Sega Model 2 and Supermodel up and running and they are a blast on full screen with the FFB! I had initially planned to build a cabinet/s which I've done in the past for MAME builds. I've also modded some 1UPs more recently because I liked the space saver design and they are easier to move around. I'm middle-aged now and still capable to move things around the rec room, but its not getting any easier...lol. Anyways I will eventually need to make the decision to build my own cab/s or repurpose and older arcade twin setup. I'd like to hear any thoughts you guys have on either options, the pluses and minuses. I've gathered the Sega Model 2/3 Twin cabs with the plastic sides are probably best if I go that route. Are the Daytona USA and 2 twin cabs a good option as well? I've got time and want to get my PC set-up working first before I get into the physical cabs part of the build, but I also know I may need to be keeping my eyes open for the right set-up and pull the trigger when something comes on the market so I'm not waiting a year after I get my software figured out.  Thanks for your thoughts!

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Best Twin Arcade Racing Cabinets for Home Brew project
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 07:47:09 am »
If you have the space, a genuine twin cab is nice. As i understand it, interfacing the original cab controls can be a bit of work. There are more than a few threads on here about that though. Empo's thread on the front page might be a place to start - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,159162.0.html

One other thing might be the plastic seats getting uncomfortable as you get older and if you sit in it longer, but cushions should help. And kids playing it won't be able to reach the pedals - that one matters to me, as mine are still young :)

I also didn't have the space in my study for a real twin cab. I got two PVM-2730 monitors with, now, G25 wheels and old carseats left on the rails. I build up some timber frames and everything fits into 130x130cm of floor. At least, with the seats all the way forward. I made a removable stand for the pedals and I drop some old booster seats in there if the kids want to play MKDX. Artwork is missing, though neither side of the "cabs" is visible. I do plan to add a marquee and some leader lights at some stage.

That said, a genuine twin driver would be... genuine :) Which is a big selling point in itself.

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 01:39:54 pm »
Interested! That set-up is like 4.2' square, that is a space saver for sure! Got a pic to post or a build thread on here? I'm curious for those that have use Sega Twin racing cabs,,,is there a best aftermarket wheel to use with those cabs? One that can fit the housing of the existing Sega control panel?  I've got a G27 but not married to it, although I do like it quite alot. :)

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 07:01:10 am »
Most people would argue it's much better to use the existing cab controls and interface them to a PC. Half the point of using an original dedicated cab is to restore it or keep it original on the outside and not trash any of the guts, especially if you're going to pick a game from the golden era of driving games :)

Sorry, I didn't make a build thread, it was an early project for me. It's certainly nothing special. Pine framing to stand the monitors on, with a formply top and another bit of timber sticking out to mount a wheel. The frame is bolted to a slightly-shaped formply sheet that the carseats are also mounted to. All painted black so nothing stands out. I made sure to round the lower edges so each of the two setups can slide over the carpet when i need to get to the back - you always want to mod and improve things so make sure you have access.

I made a little frame with aluminium brackets to mount the PVM speakers on top as they weren't going to stick out the sides without taking up far more space. Held on with cables ties, TBQH.

Pic related, though this is before i swapped the dead wheels for G25's. Oh, and that's a diablo3 mousemat sitting on the arcade cab - no idea why it's there :)

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 08:40:22 am »
Pretty cool set-up! I like that its a smaller footprint than many of the build I've seen. I'm gonna have some decisions to make, but enjoying getting the build ready in the meantime! Ohh, and loved me some Diablo back in like 1997 or so. LOL. Did you play subspace before that like me?

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:33:53 pm
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 02:32:38 pm »
Nice racing setup there butters. Very slick, and beautiful overkill with 2xPVMs! Efficient use of space - driving cabs are awesome, but take up lots of room.
Check out my completed projects!

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 07:40:37 am »
There is an original San Francisco Rush cabinet near me I'm considering picking up and trying to install my G27 and PC build into.
Curious if anyone on here as modded that cabinet and what there experience was adding an aftermarket wheel to it?
Or if the G27 is a good option for putting in an older arcade cabinet in general?   Thanks for any insight.

jayc001

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2023, 06:14:55 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2022, 07:26:43 am »
I have a twin Daytona USA set up running PC, 1080P screens and Logitech G920 wheels. I replaced the seats as they weren't comfortable for the many many hours spent configuring the system. One unit runs the Logitech 6 speed shifter as it's good for sim racing, the other runs original Sega 4 speed shifter for the obvious 424 drifting. Both run Bibbox front end and there's loads of games on them. I intend to add a 3rd cabinet as soon as I can find a matching one.

bimm25e

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 07:49:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 03:27:03 pm »
 I want a Sega Super GT pair soooo bad,

BUT i got A pair of need4speed GTs. 
I would call it the perfect MAME cabinet for these reasons:

Breaks into 2 pieces to move
Perfect amount of room for 32" hdtv
!!!USB!!!Force Feedback Wheel usable on Windows PC.
Usb joypad built-in.
Working button lights, leader light, and brake lights with LED software
Surround sound
Seat has subwoofer that can be used as Low Frequency Emitter.
High Quality 4.1 speaker amp, mini stereo input

The force feedback wheels in the globalVR games (fast and furious, F&F Tokyo drift, need4 speed gt, need4 speed underground)
Would highly recommend one of these unless you are buying a hardcore wheel like a fanatec.

I use mine to play VR iracing online,   its F%$&*:# awesome!

Also,THANK YOU BOOMSLANG
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 03:36:22 pm by bimm25e »