Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is Radeon R7 450 compatible with EmuDriver  (Read 1503 times)

urungus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2022, 01:58:37 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Is Radeon R7 450 compatible with EmuDriver
« on: June 19, 2022, 04:37:36 pm »
Hi, just getting into MAME conversion, I have an old Super Bagman coin op game and I am hoping to reuse an old Dell Optiplex 7050 tower to run MAME, along with JPAC JAMMA board.  The following cards are tested and recommend by Dell, but when I look list of cards supported by EmuDriver I am only seeing R5/7 200 and 300 series.  Will any of the three cards recommended by DELL work ?  Or am I going to have to scrounge up a different PC ?

•1 GB AMD Radeon R5 430
•2 GB AMD Radeon R5 430
•4 GB AMD Radeon R7 450

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Is Radeon R7 450 compatible with EmuDriver
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 09:25:39 pm »
You aren't looking at the right lists :)

https://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=295

The issue is going to be analogue output - as in, does your card have one? A VGA-port is always analog, but a DVI port might be analog (DVI-I) or it might not (DVI-D) and you will have to look at card specs. On paper, manufacturers dropped analogue support after the Rx 300 series. But lower-end cards like the 430/450 might either be based on earlier chipsets, or have analogue output added.

If your card is digital only, you need a way to convert to analog. Using an old HDMI-to-VGA dongle like pictured below is the easiest way, though be careful as the really cheap new ones that look like this probably won't work.

urungus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2022, 01:58:37 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 01:42:56 am »
You aren't looking at the right lists :)

https://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=295

That’s what I was looking at.  From your comments it seems the 3 cards I mentioned, which are the only ones recommended by dell for my optiplex, are not listed because they do not have vga output.  I’d prefer to avoid dongles if possible so I guess the optiplex is not going to work, is there a favorite micro or mini pc for MAME enthusiasts who want to get one of the compatible Radeon cards

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 07:02:26 am »
Anything from an old Core2 Duo upward will be fine for MAME, and great to kick off with GM. Paired up with a cheap 74550 or similar cheap GPU and you're good to go. If you love it, or if you want to play more modern games, you can always upgrade later. 

TBH an optiplex is not always a great choice. I forgot until just now that I have one with a DELL OEM R5 250, and crt_emudriver won't recognise the GPU. Custom GPU BIOS, i guess. Which is something a lot of small form-factor systems from OEM's like DELL or HP might have with their OEM GPUs.

Technically the 400 series is supported end to end, though.
- Download CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 15 (Adrenalin 18.5.1 for GCN* cards) for Windows 7/8 64-bits

- Download CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 15 (Adrenalin 18.5.1 for GCN* cards) for Windows 10 64-bits

Desktop: Radeon RX Vega Series Graphics
                                 Radeon™ RX 500 Series Graphics
                                 Radeon™ RX 400 Series Graphics

« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 06:43:09 am by buttersoft »

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:33:53 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 02:12:24 pm »
The SFF HP/compaq desktops running core2duo work well in my experience. I'm running a couple. One is my main testing beast. Fits easily under my arm when I need to move it around.

I like the accessibility of the HP machines - easy to remove the lid with a single flip, and the drives/cards are designed to be easily lifted out as needed. Finding SFF video cards to match will be the hard part.
Check out my completed projects!