Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Whats the correct way to use a 31khz monitor for mame?  (Read 1355 times)

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:38:28 am
Whats the correct way to use a 31khz monitor for mame?
« on: June 14, 2022, 10:21:30 pm »
Ill ask here, hows the correct way to use this tatung 31khz monitor with mame? 640x480 at 29 or 30 or 59 or 60 herts dont seem to  work. I get 4 splited screen. Thanks in advance for any help.

abispac

• Offline Offline
Re: Whats the correct way to use a 31khz monitor for mame?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 02:00:29 pm »
Someone please?

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 06:33:53 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 07:12:28 pm »
Sorry - I think nobody answers because your question is very broad "doesn't seem to work  :hissy: ", yet you don't provide any real details or pics.

Using Win 7 or 10? Make sure to tick the "hide modes not supported by monitor" box in display properties/advanced/monitor tab.

Go to services, make sure to DISABLE the AMD external events service there.

Try using 800x600 for your desktop?
Check out my completed projects!

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 08:45:01 pm »
Sorry - I think nobody answers because your question is very broad "doesn't seem to work  :hissy: ", yet you don't provide any real details or pics.

Using Win 7 or 10? Make sure to tick the "hide modes not supported by monitor" box in display properties/advanced/monitor tab.

Go to services, make sure to DISABLE the AMD external events service there.

Try using 800x600 for your desktop?
You right i apologise, im trying to use this tatung 13inch monitor that came with a champion countertop machine. On another topic i was told this is a 31khz monitor, as it has a vga factory cable. So far ive tried this conbinations. Ati old card with groovyarcade, diferent settings, so far the settings that half worked, was choosing lcd/svga at start and pc 31kzh 120 monitor at install, but atract mode gets scrambled and games look fine. On windows 10, i choose 640x480 at all variations, and all i get is scramble or stable 4 screen desktop. I even tried the same with the intel onboard card and nothing. same results. I was told somewhere ealse, that just hooking my pc would do,  but it does not. I know the monitor works, as the games do work. But at this point i dont know what else to do, reading on the internet i saw that i shouldnt even need an ati card or groovyarcade or groovymame. so i dont know what ealse to try.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 10:41:28 pm »
So, seems your VGA 31khz modes are OK but attract-mode screws up.

Interesting. Attract mode does that to me as well, somehow defaults to the native 640x480p desktop resolution so I get a split screen, even if I've already set the desktop at 640x480i (I'm running it at 240p).

Because Attract-mode is meant to just run at whatever your desktop res is, try setting it to 800x600.

If for some reason you were previously using a AM layout designed for 240p, try using the default "basic" layout instead.

If you like, you can design/edit your Attract-mode layouts to run at whatever resolution. Then use a free software tool like Display Changer 2 to change video mode automatically, both before and after you run Attract-mode. I do this by bundling them together in a batch file (for example, AM.bat), like this:

Code: [Select]
@echo off

cd C:\Multools\dc2
dc2.exe -configure="320x264.xml"

cd c:\attract
attract.exe

cd c:\Multools\dc2
dc2.exe -configure="640x480_30.xml"

exit

There may be a more sopisticated way to get DC2 to launch AM itself, but this works.

Note that you will need to create the video mode configuration files ("XXX.xml") with DC2 beforehand, with the "DC2.exe -create=XXX.xml" command. I'll let you read about that on the website: https://12noon.com/?page_id=641

You can then make a shortcut to the batch file on your desktop, edit properties and add a keyboard shortcut like "CTRL-ALT-1" to launch AM automatically.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 12:57:24 am »
Thank you Zebidee, thos pictures are from groovyarcade, so im not sure how to modify AM to run at 640x480i or to change it to 800x600 (so are 31khz monitors capable of 800x600?) Anyway, ill try your solution in windows as well, thanks.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 01:17:02 am »
You said Win10 somewhere so I assumed. I have no specific knowledge about GroovyArcade.

Yes, all 31khz monitors should be easily capable of 800x600, and many other higher resolutions. Exactly what "depends".

To run AM at 800x600 just change the desktop resolution, cos that is what it runs at. Assume it works the same way with GA.