Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Golden Tee 2021 HDD to SSD Cloning  (Read 3771 times)

frankrizzo2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2024, 01:34:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Golden Tee 2021 HDD to SSD Cloning
« on: March 20, 2022, 09:58:35 pm »
I'm trying to rip my Golden Tee mechanical hard drive to an SSD drive. I'm going from a 250 gb drive down to a 240 gb drive which should be easily achievable but I'm not having much luck. I've tried using EaseUS and there cloning software and it when I install the new SSD it says that it's not a bootable drive. I've also tried to create a CHD with the mechanical drive and it creates it just fine but I get a decompression error when trying to rip it to the new drive. I have a hard drive duplicator but it won't let me rip the a drive smaller in size even though the game data is only around 50gb. What other options should I try or is there another program that works better for people? Do I use the optimize for SSD option on these? Any help is appreciated

bbegin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 07:23:14 pm
  • Arcade games enthusiast, bartop arcade project WIP
Re: Golden Tee 2021 HDD to SSD Cloning
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 10:15:58 pm »
I would suggest you do a complete image of the source HD drive and then, put this image to your SSD.

I suggest to use Redo Rescue, wich is a nice bootable CD, all-integrated solution:

http://redorescue.com/
Personal project:
How to make a dedicated MAME Appliance on a Raspberry Pi 4/Pi 400
https://gist.github.com/sonicprod/f5a7bb10fb9ed1cc5124766831e120c4

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:13:32 am
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 12:50:45 pm »
I personally have used HDD Raw Copy

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:01:05 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 05:17:33 pm »
I second HDD Raw Copy.

also, i have a HD dock that does standalone bit for bit cloning that has worked out pretty good and it's fast too. i can clone a 500gb sata SSD drive to another SSD, bit for bit, in under 10 mins without using a computer.

I have the older version of this...

https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/satdock2reu3

frankrizzo2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2024, 01:34:59 am
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 10:28:40 pm »
I've tried hdd raw copy and I'm not sure if i was unable to go to a smaller drive or what the issue was and I have a duplicator that I used for my other IT game drives without issue but I lose some data going from a 250gb down to a 240gb drive doing a 1 to 1 copy. All the other drives went so well so its frustrating that something with a very similar file structure has given me so much issue. I've been using Clonezilla and a couple other rescue disks too with mixed results. They only clone if I check the skip errors box. I'll get it one way or another

bbegin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 07:23:14 pm
  • Arcade games enthusiast, bartop arcade project WIP
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 11:35:58 am »
The problem when you clone from a bigger disk to a smaller one is the last partition, wich will be truncated on the destination disk.

Either:
- You shrink the last partition from your source drive just under the max capacity of your destination drive
  -OR-
a) You defrag the last partition from your source drive and make sure you have enough free space to fit your destination drive
b) You clone byte-by-byte without veritication/checks
c) You reduce the partition size of the last partition of your your destination drive
d) You shrink the filesystem of your last partition of your your destination drive
Personal project:
How to make a dedicated MAME Appliance on a Raspberry Pi 4/Pi 400
https://gist.github.com/sonicprod/f5a7bb10fb9ed1cc5124766831e120c4

thelanranger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2022, 07:24:32 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 05:34:40 pm »
Try Macrium Reflect.
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Make the USB drive, the clone from the bootable environment. That should clone just about anything. It should automatically resize the partition presuming it is of a supported format.

If that does not do it, then it's likely that you would need to get a 500g SSD and do a RAW copy (where it copies bit by bit and ignores all the formatting). This should work fine though if you do RAW.

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2023, 03:11:14 pm
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 05:50:48 pm »
I second HDD Raw Copy.

also, i have a HD dock that does standalone bit for bit cloning that has worked out pretty good and it's fast too. i can clone a 500gb sata SSD drive to another SSD, bit for bit, in under 10 mins without using a computer.

I have the older version of this...

https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/satdock2reu3
I think this is the way to go.
I have a somewhat similar duplicator, it's supposed to copy bit for bit without any software shenanigans.
It's worked for cloning bags, silver strike, pga tour team challenge, and several megatouch drives with no issues.

Op, just to be on the safe side, go with the same size or a slightly larger drive.
Partitions may be spaced oddly on your original drive, even though all the space isn't used up.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 05:52:26 pm by game_nerd »

classicjoe72

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2022, 11:23:40 am
  • I want to build a Fix-It-Felix Jr.!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2022, 08:14:40 am »
I've tried hdd raw copy and I'm not sure if i was unable to go to a smaller drive or what the issue was and I have a duplicator that I used for my other IT game drives without issue but I lose some data going from a 250gb down to a 240gb drive doing a 1 to 1 copy. All the other drives went so well so its frustrating that something with a very similar file structure has given me so much issue. I've been using Clonezilla and a couple other rescue disks too with mixed results. They only clone if I check the skip errors box. I'll get it one way or another

This!  I'd like to second that CloneZillia is definitely the way to go.  I used it to clone my HydroThunder HDD to SSD and it worked like a charm.

Encryptedmind

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2022, 09:33:13 pm
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2022, 09:30:51 pm »

Hey Frank did you by chance clone your drive? Im trying to do the same thing but my golden tee drive is 500Gb why i dont know cause theres maybe 75Gb worth of data on there. and Im trying to clone it to a 240Gb SSD.

F2HRBALL

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 02:43:13 pm
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2023, 07:17:16 am »
I just cloned my drive to SSD.
Clonezilla - failed
EaseUS - failed
HDD Raw Copy Tool - 100% worked