Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Should AMD/video drivers and/or software be uninstalled before Emudriver install  (Read 2443 times)

jimj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 10:55:09 pm
Should AMD/video drivers and/or software be uninstalled first before installing CRT Emudriver 2.0?

Is it also recommended to download and use the "Radeon Settings control panel" from the  CRT Emudriver 2.0 download page here:
https://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=295

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Best of all is a fresh install of Windows. Second to that, removing any previous AMD device drivers is a very good idea, in particular by using some sort of driver cleaner fit for the purpose. Google can help you there.

It's not strictly needed, but makes troubleshooting a little easiest if something goes wrong later.

Radeon Settings is totally optional. I like it, it's nice to have, but if all you're doing is using GM you probably won't need it. And anyway you can simply install it later if you do.

jimj

• Offline Offline
Best of all is a fresh install of Windows. Second to that, removing any previous AMD device drivers is a very good idea, in particular by using some sort of driver cleaner fit for the purpose. Google can help you there.
Thanks for the quick reply.  This was a clean install of Windows 10 Pro.  Windows automatically installed "AMD Catalyst Control Center" and "AMD software center".

With both of these installed I installed "CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 15 (Catalyst 12.6)" and that's working fine.  However on every boot I was getting an "AMD software center" error.  Uninstalling "AMD Radeon Settings" solved that, but I'm still left with a "AMD Catalyst Control Center" I can't use.

During my reading in the forums I discovered that since my "Radeon HD 7750" video card is also supported by the "CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 15 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)" driver I should have used that instead.  Therefore I'd like to get back to a clean slate and install the Crimson version of CRT Emudriver 2.0

My plan is to run CRT Emudriver's Setup.exe to uninstall it, but after that I'll still be left with the "AMD Catalyst Control Center".  I don't see an option in "Add/remove programs" to uninstall it.

Based on the comments here I plan on using the AMD cleanup utility and if that doesn't work try DDU.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Based on the comments here I plan on using the AMD cleanup utility and if that doesn't work try DDU.

Sounds good, should work fine. TBH though, i can't remember if i actually removed CCC, or just installed Radeon Settings over the top.

jimj

• Offline Offline
Sounds good, should work fine. TBH though, i can't remember if i actually removed CCC, or just installed Radeon Settings over the top.
Tthe AMD cleanup utility worked.  In addition to CCC it also removed my CRT Emudriver 2.0 video card and left me with a "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".  I couldn't install CRT Emudriver 2.0 over this so I ran Windows Update which updated my graphics card to an "AMD Radeon 7700 Series" card.  Now I could install CRT Emudriver 2.0 again and I'm finally working without the non-functional CCC software.

Moksi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2024, 01:12:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Radeon Software and Driver versions do not match. Please try again after updating to the latest version(s). 

I get this message

when i installed the radeon settings over the top

I once had it working with any Radeon driver i had installed before the crtemudriver and i could access the settings with crt emudriver version showing in the settings

now i get 'Radeon Software and Driver versions do not match. Please try again after updating to the latest version(s).  '