Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Toshiba/Nanao 2932 - Questions about powering it up  (Read 3218 times)

CRaven

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2021, 11:06:45 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Toshiba/Nanao 2932 - Questions about powering it up
« on: December 05, 2021, 08:49:54 am »
Hello,

I'm building an arcade based on a Sega Naomi cabinet with no cables at all I will be connecting for now a pc or a Xbox 360. This is my first project, so I have these questions:

I'm in Europe, and I bought the Toshiba/Nanao 2932 monitor. The chassis went through a recap elsewhere and is currently disconnected from the tube, with a 220v -> 110v transformer but no power cables.

AFAIK I need 2 male connectors for the power and degauss button, the degauss button isn't available in the Naomi cabinet, or the filter block, the latter isn't strictly necessary right?

My questions are more towards the transformer, where do I connect the 220v mains power, and what are the other connectors for? Thanks!

photo upload url

« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 08:53:57 am by CRaven »

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Toshiba/Nanao 2932 - Questions about powering it up
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 05:23:48 pm »
#1 is the degauss coil connector - for the degaussing coil wrapped around the CRT tube itself. That coil should have a matching connector, i would hope. And no, it isn't strictly necessary, but if you don't use it you'll probably want something like a wand instead.

The post for GND is as you suspect. Very important.

As for the other connectors, I would use a multimeter to help narrow things down. Given this is a wirewound transformer, you will be able to test for continuity across the different coils and possible taps. Then you start thinking things through...

I hope that's of some help, at least :/

CRaven

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2021, 11:06:45 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Toshiba/Nanao 2932 - Questions about powering it up
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 10:50:41 am »
Thanks for the tips.

Well... the answer was in front of my eyes all the time, I guess I was too focused on the cables to read the label... sigh

So, the blue and the brown is what I want and the ground pole, 240v input. The yellow connector outputs 17 volts maybe for some Naomi related stuff I don't own, same for the 9 pin female connector (2), maybe the power for the fluorescent light bulb that connector isn't specified in the label. I also found all the plugs online and I will make the cables myself, but yeah I will verify the voltages before I connect the transformer to the chassis just to make sure the values are correct.