Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Racing cab sound - subwoofer  (Read 3482 times)

wichitakid71

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:03:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Racing cab sound - subwoofer
« on: November 04, 2021, 07:51:35 pm »
I have a Rush the Rock that came with a complete set of speakers, but the boards including the sound board were long gone.  I've got the 5 speakers (2 front, 2 rear, 1 sub in the seat) wired to 3.5 mm jacks and connected to the Soundblaster card in my PC.  I can get sound out of the 4 speakers but not the sub.  The sub's alive, as I can play sound through it when I plug it into a player with the 3.5 mm plug.  The sound is there but faint.

This led me to believe that what I must need is an amp for the subwoofer (sorry if this is obvious, but I'm not much of an audiophile).  I've used a little 2-channel amp in my other arcade cabinet - is that all I'll need in the racing cab, just wired to the sub?  I assume it will need to be a mono amp.

Anyway, if there are other routes you've used to get sound from all your speakers, I'd appreciate all comments or advice.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Scott

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:01:05 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Racing cab sound - subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 01:07:46 am »
typically the only amplified outputs capable of driving a speaker are the regular speaker outputs the other outputs are line level and need to be amplified separately. take note that the orange subwoofer output is MONO and shares the other channel with the CENTER output. so be sure to wire up the correct "side" to your sub amp if you are using regular old L and R RCAs to 3.5mm jack cable.

wichitakid71

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:03:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 10:57:46 pm »
Thank you, I have a mono plug for the sub output so I’m using it.  I’ll plan to run it through a little 2.1 amp to boost the signal.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 11:30:44 pm »
Is a mono plug suitable though? The only one's i've seen would just bridge the two outputs (which is never a good idea).