Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Two-Sided Cocktail Control Panel Buttons  (Read 1581 times)

bjhille

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2024, 02:03:31 pm
Two-Sided Cocktail Control Panel Buttons
« on: October 21, 2021, 07:43:56 pm »
I need some help.  I bought a 60-in-1 Barrel-cade that had two control panels (each panel was 8" tall by 11" wide).  I am rebuilding the cabinet with a Dell Optiplex 9020 sff with a Nvidia 1030 low profile card running only Mame.  I'm only interested in 80's-90's cocktail cab games and vertical mame games that would lend itself to a 2 sided cocktail cabinet.  I plan on putting u360's and three buttons on each panel.  Basically, I was thinking about this panel plus a coin button: http://waste.org/~winkles/winterMAME/pix/IMG_0145.jpg

I understand the link above would be "control panel 1" so to speak.  This would be for player 1.  What does the player 2 look like?  I get there will be the u360 joystick and the 3 buttons...do I have the little player 1 and player 2 buttons?  Do I put a coin button on the player 2 side?

Thanks for the help.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Two-Sided Cocktail Control Panel Buttons
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 08:13:17 pm »
Duplicate the control panels and what you have suggested should be fine.  Make sure you add an encoder that allows for a shift or Shazzam facility.

I'd dump the 1030 and go integrated to be honest.

Let us know how you get on.

bjhille

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2024, 02:03:31 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 09:41:08 am »
I know you can attach up to 8 buttons to the u360's, so I wasn't planning on using an ipac or anything.  Does the u360's allow for the shifted function?

Thanks.  Brian

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:26:30 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 10:26:57 am »
I know you can attach up to 8 buttons to the u360's, so I wasn't planning on using an ipac or anything.  Does the u360's allow for the shifted function?

Shifted buttons are usually in the realm of keyboard based controls, but there's nothing to prevent them from being implemented on gamepad based ones.

But if you are just concerned with MAME, it doesn't matter.  MAME has the ability to map functions to multiple button presses.  Just pick an input you want to use as a dedicated "shift" and when you define those shifted functions, hold down your newly defined shift button and quickly press the button you want to assign to that function.   Just be aware that it won't work outside of MAME, if you find the need to go that route.